Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EANB

Zdaemon Virus? [false positive from AVG]

I thought I would just say this=

Because zdaemon was kinda acting up and stuff I uninstalled it and downloaded it again. I installed it fine, but when I clicked the zlauncher I got this=

"Threat Detected!

Trojan Horse Generic detected in ...Programfiles/zdaemon/zslupdt.exe
Type: Trojan Horse Generic4.DPT"

WTF? Zdaemon gave me a virus? Has anyone else had this problem?
The offending files are now festering inside my virus vault.

I got it from the zdaemon website, the download that says=
ZDaemon 1.08.03 setup (Europe) (setup-style program: nothing else needed).

Hmm can you keep the original file you downloaded and put it up somewhere for examination?

How would I go about doing that? I still have the zdaemon10803-setup and the zlauncher, but I dont think any file hosting site looks to fondly on putting up items with viruses on them.

Enjay said:

AVG is flagging up problems with fmod.dll with the latest updates.

http://forum.zdoom.org/potato.php?t=14185

Yes, this has happened to me today also. I have since deleted AVG and used System Restore to get everything to run ok.

..... now will I reinstall AVG and see what happens ? ....

This is strange, according to Randy, it is the same fmod.dll file included in all versions of ZDoom released in the last year. In other words, unchanged since ZDoom 2.1.6, and therefore all ZDoom versions would be "infected" (using the term lightly). Curious as to why when I scan with AVG Free, my fmod.dll from ZDoom 2.1.6 has no threats associated with it. Something must have changed, regardless of what he said.

(Tech info: AVG is up to date, ZDoom 2.1.6 folder and files located on slave drive, if that helps any)

Edit: I meant 2.1.6 not 2.1.7.

Edit2: I realize I am talking about ZDoom and not ZDaemon. I don't have ZDaemon, so I can't speak on its behalf.

That still goes without saying, fmod.dll is still the same since the past year.

Ok I did a test of my current ZDoom 2.1.7's fmod.dll, and GZDoom 1.0.24's fmod.dll, and it produced no results.

AVG updated this morning as I turned on my computer. Something might have changed since I downloaded both? Perhaps. Although nothing is certain.

Yeah, AVG is the one to blame here. The files are all perfectly fine, AVG just misidentified them, somehow. As long as it updates today, it should stop flagging those files

I can confirm that the latest AVG virus definitions as of today are fine. No threat associated with fmod.dll. I can imagine that AVG got a heap of complaints about this one ....

Lamneth said:

I'm glad I gave up on AVG a long time ago.

It's rare now that AVG has a false positive.

My Norton internet security pack along with AVG 7.5 havent picked up anything with zdoom, gzdoom or jdoom or even skulltag, but it like to pick on zdaemon. im gonna get rid of that zdaemon right now as its sitting in my hard drive. And with this little "alarm" i wont be re-installing it....i aint a risk taker :S glad i read this thread

AVG is kind of terrible as an antivirus program anyway. From what I've read, avast! has consistantly ranked higher in tests, so I've been giving that a spin recently. Your third option is Antivir, but although it's a decent enough program, I don't think the free version can actually 'fix' files, just quarrentine them.

leileilol said:

well, considering it does seek and delete doom2.wad when it wants to I think avg is onto something

http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/ZDaemon

AlexMax said:

AVG is kind of terrible as an antivirus program anyway. From what I've read, avast! has consistantly ranked higher in tests, so I've been giving that a spin recently.

avast! is so much better than AVG its not even funny.