Find results in...
Nightmare Doom

abolishing restruants.....

Oh boy a nightmare doom topic!

let's go down the list....

Evil corporate conglomerate... check
Slaves... check
evil capitalism... check

yeah this is a 100% nightmare doom post.

I worked at a restaurant when I was sixteen. Best time of my life, as stressful as it was. I met many people there I wouldn't have even dreamed of seeing. I saw famous people. I met famous people. I talked with them... but hey, maybe I was lucky.

What the fuck?

I work at a restaurant. I actually kind of like my job. Sure, I'm getting tired of washing dishes and wish I could move on to production, but I like all my coworkers, I get good benefits, and make more than I could with any other job I could get at the moment. Whoever wrote this was probably bitter about being sacked and should stfu.

Also, we don't recycle butter. That's gross and probably a health code violation.

I don't believe (in case the author works in a restaurant) many of his co-workers will understand what he's writing. For me (s)he should find a job matching his/her abilities, so (s)he can avoid frustation.
Anyway the analysis of DIVISION OF LABOR AND THE USE OF MACHINES is not valuable. Too many restaurants I happen to visit are run by families. (and there's the cut(bandwork/factory) and paste(work/restaurant) impression.) The inclusion of the history of restaurants is neat. I'm afraid my conclusion will be as unsurpising as his/her: junkfood for thought.

Nightmare Doom said:

http://prole.info/ar.html

So what do you think of this?

I think the article is a load of bull and that you are a lunatic and need to move out of your mother's basement before gray hair sets in. :)

A couple of years ago I may have been on nightmares side, I was depressed, unemployed and very single, spending most of my waking hours on the internet either on forums like this or in those msn chatrooms.

Those dark days are behind me now, I found work, met a wonderful woman there, we fell in love. Now I eat out almost as often as I eat at home even though we are both good cooks.

I travel a lot, not just abroad but locally too so eating places are one of lifes essentials for me.

Restaurants are where hungry people can go to have other people serve food to them, but those hungry people won't have to compliment the food, converse with the cook, or clean the dishes. Kind of like a gastronomical whorehouse.

Nightmare Doom said:

restruants

Spelltacular spellmanship, my lad! Spellar and abspellutely spellbinding!

The real problem is that people are assholes everywhere they go now, not just in restaurants. Customers shouldn't be idiots, and workers shouldn't be so ready to respond in kind. It's a self-feeding cycle of people having no patience. Of course, I'm one to talk :P

GGG: Pretty much like psychologists prostitute friendship.

Heh, you could just substitute restauration for some other business and it'd still be valid.

Quasar said:

The real problem is that people are assholes everywhere they go now, not just in restaurants. Customers shouldn't be idiots, and workers shouldn't be so ready to respond in kind. It's a self-feeding cycle of people having no patience. Of course, I'm one to talk :P

. Perhaps If we recognise we're idiots that would relax things abit. After all we're mortal and this gives alot of vitality. But I forget that all the time and loose myself in a self-cycle of no patience.

spank said:

GGG: Pretty much like psychologists prostitute friendship.

Bartenders too, and you don't have to pay them as much.

At least psychiatrists who have MDs can medicate you.

Lamneth said:

I think the article is a load of bull and that you are a lunatic and need to move out of your mother's basement before gray hair sets in. :)

So, nothing we didn't know about Nightmare Doom already, then.

GGG said:

Spelltacular spellmanship, my lad! Spellar and abspellutely spellbinding!

heh, that wins.

anyway, any of those gripes could be applied to any kind of menial labor. maybe whoever wrote this thinks they are too good to work a hard days work. I really had this whole rant ready to go, but I'm deciding not to lay out some flame chum for the sharks to frenzy over.

"It is only when the routine daily struggle of the class explodes into violent activity against the bourgeoisie (the throwing of a foreman out of the window, the conflict with the police on the mass picket line, etc.), activities which require an overt exercise of their creative energies, that the workers feel themselves as human. As a result, the return from the picket line to the covert class struggle is even more frustrating than if the strike had never taken place. The molecular development of these offensives and retreats can only explode in the revolution which will enable the working class to employ its creative energies not only in smashing the old relations of production but also in establishing new social ties of a positive and creative character."
--Ria Stone

My Girlfriend said:

Sounds like someone swallowed "The Communist Manifesto" and "A Brief History of Time" and got violently ill.

Okay, I actually read more of the article thinking I could find a point to it all. When the guy describes how restaurants work he's acting like it's a big revalation when really he's just describing how capitalism works, and I think we all learned that in grade school. Also, his gripes about how people are treated in restaurants indicates to me that he's only had one job, because other jobs have just the same problems. "Oh no, you mean I have to WORK to make money?" What a fucking whiner.

This part is particularly precious:

The restaurant represents something very different to the workers. Those who work in a restaurant don't do it because we want to. We are forced to. We have no other way to make a living but to sell our ability to work to someone else--and it might as well be a restaurant owner. We don't make food because we like to make food or because we want to make food for this or that particular customer.

What a load of bullshit. Some people go to school for years so they can work in restaurants. I actually really ENJOY making food (which makes the irony that I just wash dishes there that much bigger).

In most restaurants, the workers could not afford to eat at the restaurant on a regular basis.

Yes, but the discount I get makes it affordable. :)

This moron needs to stfu and get a new job if he doesn't like his. Next he'll be writing how department stores are TEH EVIL or something though. At the very least, he needs to develop a positive attitude.

It is only when the routine daily struggle of the class explodes into violent activity against the bourgeoisie (the throwing of a foreman out of the window, the conflict with the police on the mass picket line, etc.), activities which require an overt exercise of their creative energies, that the workers feel themselves as human

A riot might be, er, a riot. But i don't need to be participating in one to feel good. I can excercise my creative energies by drawing extremely sleazy and crappy comics kthx

JoelMurdoch said:

I think you need to renew your prescription.

Don't you mean refill? You renew a subscription, not a prescription.
Any chance that was a TMBG reference?

Danarchy said:

I work at a restaurant.

Your experiences from the restaurant have nothing to do with a restruant.

prescriptions do get renewed, I have one that I need renewed every 2 months, its shelves that need refilled oh, and petrol tanks.

Plonker said:

prescriptions do get renewed, I have one that I need renewed every 2 months, its shelves that need refilled oh, and petrol tanks.

All a matter of local language differences.

doom2day said:

Is 'restruant' vs 'restaurant' a language difference too?

No that's just "dumbass".