Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pete The Padre

Most Memorable Doom Experience

My earliest Doom memories are of watching my dad play on our old '95 HP Pavilion (it had a 586 w/ a SoundBlaster + Joystick so Doom ran with crystal clarity.) I always thought DOS was confusing 'cuz we had Windows 95, but it was cool watching the loading sequence. The first Doom I had was UD- most of the time I was admiring the architecture and music, but certain monsters and lighting affects served to frighten me to the point of having some of the most vivid nightmares I can recall. The scariest monsters and levels were also my favorite. Pinkies, Barons of Hell, and the fat cyber-bosses came in a distant second to the brightly-colored, lightning spitting cacodemon whom I learned to love. That hiss rouses fond memories.

Aside from the monsters, finding secrets & new weapons, and using the automap to find mysterious symbols proved to be a lot of fun.
Discovering what E1M8 looked like on the automap was hilarious.

Playing Doom 2 and stopping after level 6, at the screen, because I thought it was shareware, 6-level, as I waited forever for the screen to change...

Doesn't this defy bumping rules badly? Not that I care...

So my most memorable Doom experiences would be:

1. First time I played it and saw that the environment was 3D and moved (I hadn't played ANY 1st person shooter till then, nor did I know texture mapping was even possible). Don't laugh, it was 1994 :-)
  2. When I saw some barons kill another baron in some random 1994 map
  3. When I played cybie and then, cybie2.wad :-)

It was... Hrmmm.. Can't remember... :P

First times I played Doom Shareware, Doom or Doom II. I remember pretty well the time I played The Ultimate Doom with my friend. It was so cool, it was also too hard for us then, so sometimes we had to IDDQD to get health to 100%, but we didn't use the degreelessness mode in fights usually, unless it was like oh no! that shot's going to kill, quick, IDDQD!

Ahaha.. Now I also remember the times when I was playing Doom with Simpsons, Starwars and AL(I)EN sound packs. It was so funny, at least those first two... maybe I had Terminator sound pack too. I think I got the sound packs from mbnet "purkki", you know those old net things you connect with a modem, not internet...

Jimi said:
I remember pretty well the time I played The Ultimate Doom with my friend. It was so cool, it was also too hard for us then, so sometimes we had to IDDQD to get health to 100%, but we didn't use the degreelessness mode in fights usually, unless it was like oh no! that shot's going to kill, quick, IDDQD!

I'm guessing you guys took turns on the controls, as in MultiPlayer the cheats are not enabled.

Jimi said:

I think I got the sound packs from mbnet "purkki", you know those old net things you connect with a modem, not internet...

BBS.

balanco01 said:

Also the first time I saw the Archvile bug in action (this was in a spaceship level, in one of TNT's wads, I think) and seeing the ghosts come at me through the walls. Freaky!

Can anyone point me to that map? I'd love to see that bug happen in the game too.

My most memorable experience gotta be the first time I played Doom 2, the first monster (at friends house) ws the Archvile and I was like "Holy hell, I never knew they put this freaky fire starter here" and then it got me hooked, andn ow that I own Doom 2, I just have alittle "too much" fun on Doom 2.

RazTK said:
Can anyone point me to that map? I'd love to see that bug happen in the game too.

It's Icarus, map 24.

The ghost bug can be seen in numerous PWADs; some feature it unintentionally. Two other examples of maps where you can see intentional ghosts are Requiem map 23, and The Waterfront.

EDIT: Oops, another bumped thread. Sorry :-(

Regen said:

Quote: "ooh..but there aren't any cacodemons in the shareware of doom (or were you reffering to something else?)
:P"

The shareware i copied that night had cacodemons.. but me and my friend were much younger then. i still acquired a retail version later on :) (of all the dooms+ add on's ect..)

Shareware or Sharewarez?

Maybe the titlepic counts since it has a caco on it...

The time I thought that a dead body was a race car (I wasn't playing it, just watching)
'Hey! Get into the racecar'

Kristian Ronge said:

It's Icarus, map 24.

The ghost bug can be seen in numerous PWADs; some feature it unintentionally. Two other examples of maps where you can see intentional ghosts are Requiem map 23, and The Waterfront.

Thanks! :-)

Originally Doom didn't really have any memorable moments. I guess the Cyberdemon vs. Spiderdemon fight in Map20 was memorable, as was the boss (for the simple fact it wasn't really an enemy and you had to use your head to destroy it instead of just pump loads of ammo in to some big thing), but otherwise Doom just seemed like a collection of levels with monsters in it. The Cyberdemon stood out... as did the SS Nazis (simply because SS Nazis don't really belong in Doom...and I played Doom 2 before Doom 1)... but otherwise nothing memorable. I did enjoy playing it though :)

When I actually did eventually get Doom 1 (through the Depths of Doom Trilogy in the late 90s) having played Doom 2 it was just like "oh ok more levels but with less-varied enemies". It was interesting seeing what the bosses were and E3M9 was memorable for the obvious reason but again it was just sort of 'meh'.

However my really memorable doom moments are with:

Scythe - Huge Huge HUGE amounts of enemies in some levels, particularly Map26 (I believe)
Scythe II - For having really, really, really good-looking levels (having played Doom and Doom II, I never really felt I was anywhere realistic just in a Doom level but Scythe took me there :P)
Both Scythes - Getting the co-op feature to work and me and my friend blasting our way through both of those mods for the first time. My friend suck to be honest, he could probably do the original game on Hey Not Too Rough but that's it, and we did the Scythes on Ultra-Violence - so around about Scythe II Map22+ for him he just ran forward, collected the biggest gun he could of gotten and just fired once into a massive horde and then died over and over again lol **)
Deus Vult - For taking the really, really, really good looking-ness of Scythe II to a whole new level, plus that "OMFG WTF" when you look at how many enemies are on Map05 (I only do Map05 - the way it was intended to be)

Getting to MAP30, and being stuck on MAP30. FOR 6 DAYS. Mind you, no internet. I must have killed 5000 enemies before I idclipped behind the IoS and saw... John Romero???

yomoneyboat said:

Getting to MAP30, and being stuck on MAP30. FOR 6 DAYS. Mind you, no internet. I must have killed 5000 enemies before I idclipped behind the IoS and saw... John Romero???

Lol, i did the same thing, i was bummed :P only i tried firing in the head a couple of times but it had no obvious effect so i abandoned the idea pretty fast and just started to go ballistic on every enemy.

I never knew that's John Romero's head picture, until I read the Internet. I thought that's Doomguy's face with hair.

The Boss Brain was more than just a wall. It was too tall to be a wall. It had an animated part which shot cubes and which was also vulnerable. On death, it exploded. How can you say "I beat a wall"? I demand a mod with an improved "wall". As how the boss in Star Fox 64 looks different to the one in Star Fox.

yomoneyboat said:

And after a few years, a certain magazine ad informed you that John Romero was about to make you (or already made you) his bitch, and instructed you to suck it down.

printz said:

I demand a mod with an improved "wall".

Yeah seriously, the face looks wierd when you view it from a side.

I remember when I was about 5, since my grandma let me play Ultimate Doom when she got it, I had beaten Episode 3. Then when the end screen came up, and I saw that dead bunny, I freaked out, and hid in the couch. I never played beyond Episode 1 after that.

Da_Shankster said:

my grandma let me play Ultimate Doom when she got it

That's one kickass grandma. Mine crochets.

I remember when I viewed Doom in all it's true glory. I knew I saw some people play Doom a long time ago, but I never really played until about a year or two ago when I got hooked on the SNES version (You heard it right, folks). Then I downloaded the shareware, ran ZDoom and witnessed what I thought the most beautiful FPS I have erver laid my eyes on. That's when I really got addicted and pretty much stopped playing everything else. Morrowind just sat on my PC, saddened and forgoten. Now I even have Doom II on my GBA.

playing Doom on my laptop at home with some music blazing behind me. i dunno why but i can still remember that moment, using the super shotgun to blast a heap of spectres. it felt so good.

and the 1st time i played on a level i made. it was dodgy to the max, but it was great fun. especially cuz i knew where everything was lol

cheers

When I went outside into the sludge pit in E1M1. The idea that I was INSIDE what had looked like scenery from the window was just too much for me (it was my first FPS, or 3D game other than Starfox).

I remember the first time i played DOOM, i was around 6 or 7, and i just had got the full version of doom (Dont remember where :|) And i got to The final level, i was sick and tired at then, and i should have went to take a pee but i wanted to play, then i saw Spider Mastermind, and heard the squealing and moaning of the mastermind, shocking me, and making me wee on my chair :P

Around 1 minute later i found myself laughing on the floor.

Besides my Doom 2 post, which is about stopping by level 6 and abandoning Doom 2 forever, for the file-erasing, there's another one, for Doom: finally defeating the Cyberdemon in E2M8. I kept E2M8 as the last boss battle I'd have to do, after having seen someone else play the whole Doom 1 and not be able to kill the Cyber. Episodes 3 and 4's boss duels were made easy enough by the BFG, I always thought 1 BFG shot = 1 dead boss. But Episode 2 wasn't. So I kept E2M8 as the last one. And defeating the Cyberdemon meant two things: ONE, Doom was finished. TWO, I learnt to strafe.

Most memorable Doom 3 experience? Maybe that "anus tube" one gets for teleportation, instead of green flashes. Doom 3 rocks, after all.

Falling into the Lava pit RIGHT AFTER you hit the switch that raises the final bridge to the exit in Limbo... (The side of pit that didn't have the stairs out, mind you)