Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buckshot

What ever became of the signed DOOM 2 boxes???

I remember like years ago, some folks here at DoomWorld had met up with tom hall, john romero, etc etc at a restaraunt (i think) and had some boxes of DOOM 2 signed (or maybe it was just one box)

Now I was thinking it was raffled off to some n00b, who later confirmed he got the box by posting a picture of him holding it, but then I thought... "hmmm... maybe not, could be wrong"... maybe someone here still has it.

I think these occured a year or so before Dukeras (thinkin that was his name) went on TV after the eniter columbine incident and spoke his piece about it, and long before that same guy resigned from doomworld with a rather interesting goodbye letter....

back in the day when Lingquica was just "the forum sausage".

If anyone knows what happened or has that box, would they be possibly ineterested in selling it?

Was just "the forum sausage?"

He has always been an admin :-p

Ling's parents tossed his and AndrewB still has his.

i never said that he wasnt...

matter o' fact, i know he's been the admin since at least 98...

but still, at one point he was "the forum sausage"

ask 'em if u dont beleive me

EDIT: They threw it away? Eh, if my parents did something like that, I'd kick their asses out of the house 8-P

Ahhh, AndrewB, he won the other one?

hmmmm....

Buckshot said:
Now I was thinking it was raffled off to some n00b, who later confirmed he got the box by posting a picture of him holding it,

AndrewB actually used an avatar based on that pic you mention util a couple of days ago (when it was lost amid the recent forum drama):

Buckshot said:

... Dukeras (thinkin that was his name) went on TV after the eniter columbine incident and spoke his piece about it

That was former newsguy Covaro.

david_a said:
That was former newsguy Covaro.

No, it was Dukrous (but I'm not sure if it was on TV or just the CNN site).

AndrewB said:

I have the box but I really don't know how much it's worth.

How much do you feel it's worth? They are really rare these days though, so keep that in mind when evaluating it's worth.

heh, I paid $300 for the Id anthology, signed by the id team, about 5 years ago...

I figured $500 for a signed DOOM 2 box is much higher than it typically would sell for...

myk said:

No, it was Dukrous (but I'm not sure if it was on TV or just the CNN site).

Oh right, that little 2-minute CNN video with him playing and talking. Yes, that was not Covaro. I was thinking of that "town meeting" or whatever with President Clinton (I think it was on ABC).

hah, i knew it was dukrous...

my memory serves me well... now give me a cookie damn it.

Didn't he write a farewell letter to the DOOM community claiming it was dying/dead something like that? Matter 'o fact I think there was a link to it here on DOOM world ages ago...

yeah i remeber when that happened...

I kinda sat there, it was my junior/senior, something, year in high school, i was in some computer lab in class, and I was reading the doomworld daily news, saw that.. and I felt real depressed that, what i thought at the time, was the closing of DOOMWORLD.

Damn was I wrong.

Damn, was he wrong.

Was it that he was afraid to outsource Doomworld to people who could consistentley update doomworld and keep it or alive (like each and every generation of Doomworld mods/admins), or did he just want it to die with him?

cant beilieve its nearly been a decade since then

In a related matter, I know Rellik won some trip to Id's HQ and got to meet some of the guys there.

So I read that Dukrous email and I laughed. I guess it's a good thing he left, because his model of a boring headline news doom community would be the ultimate downfall (because there just isn't enough of it).

So yea, the guy sucked and ud on top.

well shit, its ralphis...
and Danarchy...

What ever happened to Tobe, dude from dayton, oh... guy that liked sister pron? you know who i'm talking about?

And to all, I'm sorry to hear about Toke, Assmaster and all else whom passed away during my hiatus.... I didn't know assmaster, but Toke was a great guy to bullshit with in the old opensource/openprojects channels...

So AndrewB, you up for selling that boxed copy? Or you gonna make me go over to Rome.ro and ask him personal to signed my doom 2 box?

My step uncle gave me a signed copy of Doom II back in 1995.

I think it was Romero that signed it, but it passed hands a lot before it got to me. He got it from his friend who knew Romero. His friend didn't really care about video games, so he passed it to my step uncle. Then my step uncle passed it to me, because his wife was guilt tripping him how grown men shouldn't be playing video games.

So I still have the signed box, I never ever throw away any boxes, I'm weird like that. I just need to find it.

Buckshot said:

So AndrewB, you up for selling that boxed copy? Or you gonna make me go over to Rome.ro and ask him personal to signed my doom 2 box?

It's hard to say. Thing is, I don't need the money that badly right now.

Buckshot said:

What ever happened to Tobe

He shows up from time to time, mostly on IRC. AFAIK he's still living in some sort of commune/apartment with Ghostly and some chicks.