Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stealthy Ivan

My favorite still! Galaxia.wad

With all of these new doom levels always comming out and advancements that doom has gone through, me and my friends still alway sit down at a LAN party and play galaxia.wad co-op!!! It has been one of our favorite old school wads! What do you peeps think of galaxia? Or do you have an favorite old school/vanilla wad that you still love to play?

Galaxia, bfthud!, and UAC_dead have been my favorite old school wads since I first played them. The levels in bfthud! weren't that good at times, but it was still a fun wad to play.

Yeah, Galaxia isn't bad, and worth its place in the top ten of that year. It must have contributed to encouraging DOOM stuff in the Czech Republic, that has offered some good wads and players throughout the years.

As far as favorite early stuff... I'm never too sure, as there's a lot of fun wads. If I had to choose I'd go for TiC's stuff, TTP, and the big megawads (the MMs and Requiem).

That wad in DZone that used bad attempts at Beavis and Butthead and Homer Simpson vocals and played "That's All Folks!" when you died is up there on my list.

Stealthy Ivan said:

With all of these new doom levels always comming out and advancements that doom has gone through, me and my friends still alway sit down at a LAN party and play galaxia.wad co-op!!!

Dude grammer skills rules! When your good at grammer and arent mispelling, a hole world of possibilaties await you.

No, but I've given Engrish lessons to Asian immigrants on the subway.

I have to admit I'd never seen galaxia before now. All I have to say is that it must have the shortest start-to-spider-mastermind time of any level I've ever seen (except SPIDERS.WAD)

You meet the Mastermind after only a couple of seconds in E3M8 (and in some maps in This SUXX! you see them right from the get-go).

Doom City is still one of my favorite wads and it is over 10 years old. I downloaded it again, recently, and still love it... even the new music is fun. The txt file claims...

"In order to make this level more stable, I had to remove some of the detail from this level, particularly at the seven - eleven intersection. I originally had crosswalks, street-signs, and traffic lights I was trying to put in, but I had to give them up to make my level more playable."

I would have loved to have seen this level as it was intended, unfortunately the ridiculous faults of the engine forced an author to downgrade his work.

I really liked the old
ptultra.wad by phillip wheeler,
ss27bet2.wad by Stanley Stasiak (a huge level)
bilbo11.wad by Brad Spencer

and many other : i have an old CD full of '94 doom wads !

Lorenzo

some of my favourite old DM wads were arrow, stalker, zzone, kronikil and.. ehm my memory isnt so good. but my all time favourite is still gothicdm

Heh, my favorite DM levels are Dwango and Talon3, or a level made by my friend Nate in 1995 called Carnage, but it was only on Vitual Arcade BBS. I lost my copy when I sold my old PC...:(

Scuba Steve said:

Doom City is still one of my favorite wads and it is over 10 years old.

Real nice and you end up in a pub. Checked out his other wads in the archives. Torment and Phobos.
Best architecture I ever saw in a doomlevel.

Best architecture ever, of any wad? Gee, now I'll have to try them...

"Torment" and "Phobos - Relive The Nightmare". That guy must have been an early incarnation of Tormentor667!

Lorenzo said:

ss27bet2.wad by Stanley Stasiak (a huge level)

The complete version of it, called castevil.wad, is even better. ;)

myk said:

Best architecture ever, of any wad? Gee, now I'll have to try them...

"Torment" and "Phobos - Relive The Nightmare". That guy must have been an early incarnation of Tormentor667!

Tormentor666!

Coldfusio said:
Torment and Phobos.

I played them; I liked the style. Torment is a bit similar to Michael Krause's stuff, while Relive bears more of a traditional base style (although not strictly E1 styled, even though the author said he tried to mimic Romero's levels). They are rather easy in the playing department, as I played one after the other in UV and didn't die once on either wad, and I hardly used the Plasma gun. He said in Relive's text file that he liked Knee Deep in the Dead but that it was too easy, yet it seems to me that his levels are not any harder. There are tougher monsters, but not placed too strategically, and you've got a much better weapon selection (with the SSG and the Plasma gun). Maybe Torment plays a bit better, of the two, because of its open areas.

Scuba Steve said:
I would have loved to have seen this level as it was intended, unfortunately the ridiculous faults of the engine forced an author to downgrade his work.

A fault now, maybe, as it saved us back then from running levels at subpar fps. In Doomcity's case you're probably right, but incidentially I was playing Relive and at one point I though "heh, good thing this was made in early '96, I have the impression that otherwise the guy would have overdetailed it, probably ruining the smoothness (and perhaps the looks) of the levels".

Stealthy Ivan said:

Heh, a whole world of possibilaties is already here... :P BTW are you an english teacher?

Third times a charm: whole world of possibilities.

and since I use ZDOOM and a lovely router instead of a hub or switch, no coop is in my future...

Yey,. Galaxia! I still remember it how it first inspired me into with the music from Das Boot. And then it was really good for it's time. I think I have finished it several times and maybe I'll try some more. I like maps who are not just random labyrinths and rooms but try to represent something human like in the case of Galaxia with railways, subways, the city sky, which was even more rare in the past and so Galaxia got me with this, the new gfx and settings and the music.

Other than that, from the old WADs I remember one which was in a university and crashes now for some reasons, and another with the spider boss brain in a monitor and the bad dudes like watching his orders :)
I don't remember the titles. (edit: it was the trinity wad)

My favorite might be still a Phobos 4 levels remake look like real human structures (from the same guy who also did Earth).

As for old single players WADs, I just remembered also Fortune.wad by Lisa Moore which was rather challenging and hard to play, I once wanted to record a demo finishing it in UV but I didn't managed :P

I really like Krause's work. Outstanding old school. Given the tools he had to work with he was really on the cutting edge of his time. I don't think he ever released a bad map.

Another old school author worth mentioning has to be Shams Young, also outstanding old school. All excellent, with "Relive" probably my favorite of his.
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?search=1&field=textfile&word=shams+young&sort=time&order=asc&page=1

Mike Reed also made some really cool maps, like Hoover.wad and Rabbit hole! I used to play them alot, BTW I wonder what ever happend to Mike? I wish he still mapped, I remember he used to have a cool Doom site but I think its gone...

Mike Reed's work is outstanding. Both of those are excellent. and I would add Metro 13 as another good one from him.

Mark Klem had some really good early work as well, such as mk3.wad and others.

Yeah, if you guys could only see the memories me and my friends had playing his levels... I have been into DooM since 1994 and he is one of the most respected mappers that I know, next to Team TnT, they had some great stuff, so did the Innocent Crew but for being what he was he was awsome!!! My goal any more is to keep the old school DooM stuff alive!
This is why I am starting a project in 2007 :P I do not really care who like's it and who dose not, it's about keeping it going period!

Graf Zahl said:

The complete version of it, called castevil.wad, is even better. ;)

I started that map with fast monsters. O well...it's amazing though. After a few runs I thought that it still could be worth playing nowadays. Not only the design but the gameplay is still interesting. But the size and complexity of the map(47 secrets) made me change my mind. It's not worth playing it, just like all those other 1994 wads.
(I remember liking uac_dead and aliens tc but I played those years ago)
So Nostromo's Run for DOOM ][ is my oldest favorite map.

Coldfusio said:
But the size and complexity of the map(47 secrets) made me change my mind.

You said you liked its design and game play, but you'd ditch it because of its overall complexity? It's not like it's necessary to find all the secrets to play the level. Also, if one can play a megawad with 32 (big) levels, I don't see the problem in spending a bit more time on a particularly complex level if it's good.

It just seems like a lack of a reasonable attention span, rather than a problem in the level.