Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cycloid

Looking for Xbox (or PSX) game recomendations

I have a PSX, which i'm in the middle of playing Tomb Raider 2, Colin McRae Rally 3, Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee and Suikoden / Suikoden 2

I also have an Xbox (finally! only about 5 years late) and am playing through Halo / Halo 2, Project Gotham 2 and Tiger Woods 2005

So looking for games people think i might like, anything, so long as it's "good" rather than "eye candy" . for the xbox i'll probably be getting the GTA double pack and XIII next.

also looking for coop / fun multiplayer games to play when drunk. Like Crash Team Racer on PSX or worms 3d on Xbox (got both). Or games like Crash Bandicoot (any) where you can play 1 player, whilst drunk, and take turns with a friend

fire away

For PSX: CV: Symphony of the Night, Need for Speed 3
For Xbox: Um, Soul Caliber 2 if you have friends, PGR and Halo are the two best things that happened to Xbox, and it seems you've already covered that. Also the splinter cell series is excellent.

PSX:
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Doom
Quake 2
Xenogears
Final Fantasy Tactics
Gran Turismo
Metal Gear Solid
Vagrant Story
Nightmare Creatures
Silent Hill
Need for Speed 3
Bushido Blade

XBOX:
Not sure about this, never had one. The best non-exclusive games I've played are:
SSX Tricky
Timesplitters: Future Perfect
Burnout: Revenge
Counter-Strike
Battlefield 2: Modern Combat
Gauntlet Legends
Soul Calibur 2

Crimson Skies on Xbox is quite fun. Other than that, the only game I really played a lot on my Xbox was Jade Empire. Fine if you like reading your games. Oh, and Forza Motorsports.

I played Resident Evil 2 and the Tekken games to death back in the day on PSX.

cycloid said:

for the xbox i'll probably be getting the GTA double pack and XIII next.

Good choices. :) I liked XIII, despite what reviews said. Once you get past the odd style, the game really picks up and has a great story. David Duchovny is a crappy voice actor, though.

(reply to all above posts in no specific order)

Got Tony Hawks 3 for PSX, good fun to pick up and play but i'm at the point now where i'd have to remember insane quantities of precise combo moves to progress much further through the carerr mode, i have the same problem with fighting games (e.g. tekken). just not got the brain/will power to remember that up up left circle square is the move i need not up up left square circle. Considering picking up one of the Cool Boarders series though.

It's probably worth pointing out that all my friends have/do own(ed) psx's or xbox's and i've technically completed halo 1/2 (in coop mode) and the first three tomb raiders in the take-turns-between-friends-to-get-past-the-current-bit mode of play (2 is my favourite from my hazy 90s memories)

Vaguelly remember quake 2 from psx (deathmatch circa 1999 i seem to recal) and was considering getting it, and might even check out PSX doom for a laugh

played driver 1/2 and GT 1/2 (and 3 on ps2) to death so in no hurry to revisit. Though if i could get GT3 for xbox i might consider it (AFAIK: no way)

got Metal Gear Solid for PSX, i think i'm too gung ho to get into the sneaking mode of play but progressing very very very slowly when i occasionaly pick it up

heard good things about CV : SOTN before, so will keep my eyes peeled for that, cheers.

It does seem with the post-ps2 era of consoles that a new console comes out and people fork over hundreds of pounds for the hardware and games and when all things are considered there only seem to be a handful of stand-out replayable time and time again games. The PSX had a much longer shelf life than the current breed and seems to have a wider choice.

Next purchase will be a Dreamcast (along with Shenmue 1/2, MSR, JGR, SC5 and others) though the gamestation near me had one alongside the xbox and it was a tough choice on the day!

good stuff tho people, keep it coming.

I always thought Tombi for the PSX was always fun. Addictive little platformer.

Planky said:

I always thought Tombi for the PSX was always fun. Addictive little platformer.

Don't you mean Tomba? If so, I highly reccomend it and its sequel.

I don't have a Xbox, but some of my favorite PSX games in my collection that I recommend:

Castlevania: Symphony of The Night
Crash Bandicoot 2, 3, and Team Racing
Spyro The Dragon 1, 2, and 3
Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9, and Tactics
Legend of Dragoon
Dino Crisis 2
Dune 2000
Medievil
Mega Man 8, X4
Silent Hill
Pac-Man World: 20th Anniversary
Tenchu: Stealth Assassins
Street Fighter Alpha 3

Mortal Kombat Trilogy. Best multiplayer fun you'll have with the PSX. But if you can't play with your friends/roommates/siblings/parents/housekeepers I'd go get a Super Nintendo. Their single player games are top-notch.

Of course, this is IMO.

caco_killer said:

No PSX is complete without the first Tomb Raider game.

Mine is.

Timesplitters 2 for the Xbox. From the few minutes that I played Future Perfect, the music sounded like generic movie music and it felt like they were trying to make it more like Halo. Still, that was only from playing it for a few minutes.

Doom Raider was pretty good.

Lol, I just thought many, many people had at least one Tomb Raider game considering how popular they were on the PSX. I don't care if you have the game or not.

I used to have great fun playing these (I won't mention GT2 since you seem to know it well and I still play it every now and then):

- Alien Resurrection
- Wipeout XL/2097
- G-Police
- Syphon Filter
- Time Crisis (requires the Namco lightgun IIRC though)
- TOCA World Touring Cars

cycloid said:

Or games like Crash Bandicoot (any) where you can play 1 player, whilst drunk, and take turns with a friend

Hell, screw your friend. I can sit down with any of the first 3 Crash games and play the whole thing through, even though I've played each around 25 times. Quality gaming never gets old. Avoid CB titles not developed by Naughty Dog.

I forgot to say get Gauntlet Legends for PSX and for Xbox get Gauntlet Dark Legacy and Gauntlet Seven Sorrows and dont forget to download Gauntlet and Gauntlet II from Xbox Live.

It's totally super spectacular

PSX "must play" list:

Grandia
Metal Gear Solid
TOCA Touring Cars 2
Dune 2000
Syphon Filter
Silent Hill
Resident Evil 1, 2 or 3
Abes Oddysee
Parasite Eve 2
Vagrant Story
Final Fantasy 7, 8 or 9
Crash Bandicoot 1, 2 or 3

I really enjoyed Men of Valor for Xbox, it's a game based on the Vietnam war, but it has a really enjoyable co-op mode. It seemed rather long, I rented it twice for a week each time before we cleared it. I would say rent it and see what you think, but the co-op was really fun. It walks the fine line between arcade shooter and tactical shooter, and does it pretty well. The only other xbox games I really liked aside from the Halo's was Timesplitters 2 and Future Perfect, both of which are multi-console. As for PSX, the only games I really liked on it were the Resident Evil series and Silent Hill. Medal Gear Solid was fun as well.

For PSX:

Disruptor (good luck finding it, though. I have a copy of it)
Ridge Racer (latest for PSX. A must have)
Alien Trilogy (again good luck finding it)
Mortal Combat Trilogy
Street Fighter 2 (or Street Fighter EX Alpha Plus)
.hack// series (if you enjoy a great story, but repetitive gameplay)
Jumping Flash! 2 (a definite must, very weird game)
Doom (a must)
Quake 2 (a must)
Crash Bandicoot or Spyro the Dragon (any version of each for those adventure needs)
Carnage Heart (again good luck finding it. Very fund game I might add)
Codename: Tonka (again good luck finding it.)
Gex Series (again for the adventuring needs, but with decent comedy)
Twisted Metal Series
Vigilante 8 Series (only two in the series)
Future Cop L.A.P.D. (a must, but good luck finding it)
Eihander (for those shooter needs)
Tekken Series
Armored Core (a must, any version will do)
Assault Rigs (VERY HARD TO FIND, but very fun to play!)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater series (the ones on the PSX only)
Wipeout series (ones on the PSX)
Star Wars: Dark Forces (great game, a must have)
Syphon Filter (I guess.)

Last, but not least, the best game for PSX:

PO'ed! GOOD GAME

PSX DO NOTS:
METAL GEAR SOLID (ban it from use, worst game ever conceived.)

XBox?
I have three games for it. Mind you terrible games.

Dead or Alive: Extreme Beach Volleyball (one of the better)
Fireblade (burn it with fire)
Sega GT Racing/Jet Set Radio Future (Sega GT sucked, JSRF was pretty fun for about an hour)

XBox games I rented, and suggest:

Mech Assault, I guess.

PSX:

doom
CV: SoTN
FF7
Xenogears
Silent Hill
FF Tactics
Resident Evil 2
Metal Gear Solid

XBOX: