Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Epyo

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

This is a discussion topic before the finale to the book series is released on July 21st. I'm a big fan, you probably are too, so talk to me about the book! Tell me some seriously wild theories you can dream up, and I'm very interested to know who you think dies.

Personally, I simply won't be believing any spoilers/leaks I hear about the final book until the 21st, but try to keep this thread free of any alleged book 7 leaked spoilers, especially after that date. We'll have a new thread to talk about what happened and how much it sucked then, spoiler-filled.

---

Ok, here's my guesses on Book 7 so far:
-Draco becomes good, then dies
-RAB is someone new
-Neville or Luna become Hogwarts teachers (perhaps in the future)
-Lupin dies
-Ginny dies
-Harry kills Voldemort
-The mystery horcrux is something we could not have predicted, OR Peter Pettigrew's white hand
-Uncle Vernon shoots someone
-Grindelwald is somehow important

A lot of people are saying Harry is a horcrux, but I just don't see how that could be true, since the prophecy says either Harry or Voldemort must die at the hand of the other. Maybe the goblet of fire is the horcrux? Or something at the graveyard in book 4?

I heard someone's theory that the snake from the zoo in Sorcerer's Stone will be important, like another horcrux or something cool. Eh, maybe. But I really liked his other idea that Voldemort will die early on in the book, but then as the years pass, Harry Potter becomes even more evil because like Ginny died or something, and Uncle Vernon shoots him with a gun. That's awesome. But Rowling isn't sweet enough for that.

Harry wakes up and says "I had the wierdest dream" and his dad says "Told you magic wasn't real"

-Draco becomes good, then dies

Alas, poor Draco. I don't see what you said happening. Instead he'll either be mentioned as killed by Voldemort for failing his mission in HBP, or Harry and Draco will fight to the death.

-RAB is someone new

J.K. Rowling has stated there will be no new characters introduced in Deathly Hallows. With that info out of the way Regulus Black is the obvious choice, unless someone pulled a name change somwhere. How this lack of new characters is going to manage to work with teaching vacancies abounding at Hogwarts I have no idea. Perhaps we won't hear much about Hogwarts in the seventh book, seeing as Harry said he wasn't going back.

-Neville or Luna become Hogwarts teachers (perhaps in the future)

Someone does apparently, and it's neither Harry (IIRC) nor Ron, and that it wouldn't be who we expect (again this from Rowling). I would guess that it's Neville, as he's the only one important enough to the story that isn't excluded by the above.

-Lupin dies
-Ginny dies

More official stuff, 2 important characters will die in DH (possibly more). I can spring for Lupin, but I doubt Ginny is axed. Probably Malfoy, Snape, Ron or Hermione, or even Harry (although the last 3 have been hinted against). I don't think Voldemort counts here. :P

-Harry kills Voldemort

It's been strongly hinted that one will kill the other, finishing the prophecy. My bets are on what you said, as I think it wouldn't work out very well in the end if Voldemort killed Harry.

-The mystery horcrux is something we could not have predicted, OR Peter Pettigrew's white hand

I'd wager its something that belonged to Ravenclaw. We've had Slytherins locket basically declared a real horcrux in HBP, and the cup belonging to Hufflepuff is assumed at this point. We've seen an artifact belonging to Gryffindor, and if that were a horcrux I'd assume that it would have been taken care of straightaway in HBP. So my guess is on something belonging to Ravenclaw. I also think that all of the suggested Horcruxes from HBP will be confirmed true.

-Uncle Vernon shoots someone

Ah, no, I doubt it. However, Rowling has stated that some non-magic character will do magic late in life, and its not Petunia. Well, as we aren't overflowing with non magical persons in the series, I'd think its him.

-Grindelwald is somehow important

This I doubt. I don't think he's even been mentioned in anything but PS.

A lot of people are saying Harry is a horcrux, but I just don't see how that could be true, since the prophecy says either Harry or Voldemort must die at the hand of the other. Maybe the goblet of fire is the horcrux? Or something at the graveyard in book 4?

More pertinently, the idea that Harry is a horcrux is obvious nonsense from the fact that Voldemort tries to kill him directly in PS, GF, and OP. If he did make Harry a horcrux then why the heck would he try to obliterate him?

The idea that the Goblet is a Horcrux is silly, for several reasons not the least of which being that it wasn't even in use at the time Riddle/Voldemort was in school. Heck we don't even know where it was then.

I heard someone's theory that the snake from the zoo in Sorcerer's Stone will be important, like another horcrux or something cool. Eh, maybe. But I really liked his other idea that Voldemort will die early on in the book, but then as the years pass, Harry Potter becomes even more evil because like Ginny died or something, and Uncle Vernon shoots him with a gun. That's awesome. But Rowling isn't sweet enough for that.

Eh no, how silly. Besides only the last chapter is devoted to what becomes of the characters. :P

I predict a massive earthquake will crumble Hogwarts to the ground, killing everyone within. J.K. Rowling will rise from the wreckage and make more money. As she does so well.

She was on Jonathan Ross last week and said "when I wrote the next to last chapter I cried my eyes out, I had to grab a drink out of the hotel mini bar and downed it in one" etc tells me Harry is dead

she may have killed harry but I personally think that it isn't necessary to do so like some said. In many ways, killing off the main character is such a cliche emotion-jerker that it could be better if she didn't kill him. Killing off the main character is a cheap way to make a story a tragedy in many cases. It can work, but it might not work and it's not a give in when your writing these kinds of stories.

Things start off normally then suddenly out of nowhere several T-1000's appear to stop the Wizards from fighting the machines out of power after Judgement Day. At Hogwarts, almost everyone but Harry, Voldemort, and Zombie Dumbledore are left fighting off the last T-1000. It manages to kill Z. Dumbledore and severely weaken Harry, but Voldemort manages to defeat it by sacrificing himself to summon Hello Kitty, choosing not to explain why he suddenly went good. Overwhelmed by Hello Kitty's kawaii-ness, the T-1000 learns the human emotion of affection and decides to destroy Cyberdyne Systems and itself to keep all the cute things from being destroyed. However it didn't find Harry cute enough to save, and he dies of his wounds in the ruined Hogwarts. The whole world now has a severely weakened wizard community, except for the Gap who uses its small niche of powerful wizards to take over and run the world, issuing a new era of peace and fashion.

fodders said:

She was on Jonathan Ross last week and said "when I wrote the next to last chapter I cried my eyes out, I had to grab a drink out of the hotel mini bar and downed it in one" etc tells me Harry is dead

OMFG...Fodders, you're alive!

dirty harry gets hermione pregnant, they both lose their magic powers and become normal people

Richo Rosai said:

Spoiler alert spoiler alert:

Even looking at the url by hovering will spoil.

Most likely fake. As JK Rowling has said, no new characters will be introduced in the final book. Especially not ones with such ridiculous names as "Rimulus".

I think Hermione will die. However, I hope not... I think the book hints at a relationship between Ron and Hermione and I want to see that played out.

I always go to YTMND for my reliable information.
[/sarcasm]

I didn't want to imply my faith in the reliability of the information. Just that IF it were correct, it was funny that the url itself contained the spoiler.

Having never seen or read any of the Harry Potter stuff, it's all nonsense to me anyway.

I like how they make it look like a scan, as if they have a tangible copy of the book... yeah, ok. Why can't people just wait a few more days?!?! Our society is that impatient now?
Same thing with 1-18-08 (another thread in EE).

How about "The series starts to take itself too seriously, gets too dramatic for it's own good, and goes off the deep-end"?

Epyo said:

A lot of people are saying Harry is a horcrux, but I just don't see how that could be true, since the prophecy says either Harry or Voldemort must die at the hand of the other.

As soon as I finished reading Book 6, this was immediately the theory that sprung up in my mind.

People are putting way too much stock in this prophesy. The only reason it even means anything is because Voldemort thinks it does. Harry is never mentioned by name in the prophesy, so I still think somehow Neville could be "the chosen one" because as was mentioned in the book, he and Harry share the same basic characteristics that were mentioned in the prophesy.

I think that Harry is a horcrux, but Voldemort doesn't realize he is one. There's already been a lot made of the fact that Harry has certain aspects of Voldemort present in him because of the bond that was made when Voldemort gave him the scar, etc. So it wouldn't be a stretch to say that a part of Voldemort's soul is inside Harry.

Harry, believing they have destroyed all of the horcruxes, goes after Voldemort. Since Harry himself is a horcrux, Voldemort is still immortal so Harry dies. Voldemort thinks he has won, but really he has just destroyed the last horcrux and thus made himself mortal once again. Then Neville, the real "chosen one," kills Voldemort.

People are quick to discredit this theory because Voldemort "marked" Harry as the chosen one, but you could also look at Voldemort having "marked" Neville by having had his parents tortured into insanity, thus filling Neville with a lust for revenge.

It's certainly not a watertight theory, but it makes a good amount of sense.

^Some pretty good points, and now I can see that it's possible. An accidental horcrux, ehh. But I can see Voldemort killing Harry and then Neville killing Voldemort putting JK Rowling in tears, I like that idea. Plus then Luna would be with the guy who defeats Voldemort. I like that, JK would too.

Still not very probable though.

---

I think this is pretty funny, and pretty interesting, just thought I'd post this. Here's what CJayC (GameFAQs's admin) stickied on the GFAQS harry potter board and message board announcements:

**WARNING** The publisher is monitoring this board. Don't post leaks.
If you post pre-release book information, they will (and already have) send us legal notices about your posts. They can also subpoena us for your personal information, and who knows what happens after that. We don't get in any trouble; you do, so we strongly recommend that you don't post any leaked information at all.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Spoilers
Yes, a full week and a half before the book is officially released, and the leaks are here. So, a few words of warning to those who want to discuss the book:

* Please do not post any spoilers, marked or not, from the new book until it's actually released on the 21st. In theory, nobody should have a copy of the book yet, but we all know how theories work.

* Posting passages from or links to a leaked copy of the book, or requesting them, will get you banned. Posting short passages from it (marked for spoilers) after the book is out is fine and falls under Fair Use, but not until the 21st.

* Posting unmarked, major plot spoilers (like the last book's three-word spoiler, you all know it by now), is ban-worthy, and likely axe-worthy, no matter how old your account is, at least for the first few weeks after release. We know there are going to be people doing this regardless, so we're just telling you up front what will happen so you can't claim ignorance.

* Fake spoilers will be treated just like real ones; even if you're not actually spoiling the book, you're just trolling, and until the book is out there's no way to tell the difference between the two.

* And finally, if you're a Harry Potter fan and don't want the final book spoiled, just get off of the Internet now. The leaks have begun in earnest, and you're going to see lots of spoilers all over the place between now and the 21st.

It's pretty surprising to me that the publishers would want to be such e-thugs about this, and I really like CJay's remark in that last bullet point about "get off the internet". Just hilarious but true.

Epyo said:

It's pretty surprising to me that the publishers would want to be such e-thugs about this, and I really like CJay's remark in that last bullet point about "get off the internet". Just hilarious but true.

Apparently these guys own the internet.
"You are not only banned from this site, but from ALL SITES THAT HAVE EVER EXISTED!!! You are required to light your computer on fire and perform a satanic mantra while dancing around the corpse of a chicken."
In all seriousness... those bulletins could have been compacted and made more formal.

Airbag: Your theory is about Harry being a horcrux is all well and good but, aside from what I said above, the idea that Voldemort doesn't realize it is really daft. I think you would notice if you had a piece of your soul torn from you.

John Smith said:

Airbag: Your theory is about Harry being a horcrux is all well and good but, aside from what I said above, the idea that Voldemort doesn't realize it is really daft. I think you would notice if you had a piece of your soul torn from you.

The point is, though, that Voldemort is already so twisted and soulless that he really can't discern that a part of his soul is enveloped in another human being.

Regardless, I'm not really trying to predict what J.K. Rowling is going to do. I'm just relating the theory I formulated after reading book 6. I'll be absolutely shocked if I'm anywhere close to right.

It's fun reading a whole page full of a language you know and yet still not understanding a damn thing.

JoelMurdoch said:

It's fun reading a whole page full of a language you know and yet still not understanding a damn thing.

I was thinking the same thing. This is like when my mom made me watch Harry Potter 4.

Those GameFAQ's (says it fucking all, really) forum rules

Jesus, it's only a series of books. And not even paticuarly good ones at that