Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Antidote

WADs' priceless stories

Way back when, when WADs required stories (or rather, many people included them), what was your favorite? If you can remember, that is.

It doesn't matter if it was a crappy wad, it had a great story that drove the wad into history. All I want to know is what was your favorite.

I can't remember mine, because I never read stories.

I think stories are good, because you get something to read too. It's foolish to censor yourself from writing storylines to your wad. Here's a pack:
Way Out And Still Doomed
That in the end made me play the full series, despite its obvious weakness. I like its esotheric, uncool, design. The pack is set on Io, and Final Doom: TNT Evilution did the same!

Another one. Beware. This level isn't bad.

Yet another one. Back to Hell. Story less interesting, same for levels.

But people, write novels with your wads, you'll become writers.

Well, for some truly great story-writing, I'm gonna have to go with Wow, of course. They just don't make 'em like that these days.

yomoneyboat said:

Well, for some truly great story-writing, I'm gonna have to go with Wow, of course. They just don't make 'em like that these days.

That was not a story, that was a half-assed two-line painful rendition of a terrible map.

Printz, those are some good examples. I really liked Way Out and Still Doomed. I haven't had time to play the levels yet, I will soon.

Antidote said:

I haven't had time to play the levels yet, I will soon.

You'd rather think better about time management, Antidote. Those wads may be 1995, but their quality is noobish. Mazes, 0 darkness, 255 brightness, sparse monsters or dense weak monsters, sparse barrels, basic secret doors, tedium, frustration. Don't blame me.

printz said:

You'd rather think better about time management, Antidote. Those wads may be 1995, but their quality is noobish. Mazes, 0 darkness, 255 brightness, sparse monsters or dense weak monsters, sparse barrels, basic secret doors, tedium, frustration. Don't blame me.

Well maybe the story is good enough, eh? I think I'll pass after hearing that.

Since I've always put time into my own stories, to the point that they each are a standalone work of art, my expectations for others' stories have been raised. Needless to say, most often they aren't met.