Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Planky

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (WARNING: Spoilers)

Just got back from seeing it.

I felt the movie story line was horribly disjointed and fragmented (it appeared someone was too eager with the editing scissors). The characters personalities were wooden, with the exception of Umbrigde and Looney Lovegood. I think I destroyed my chances of liking it by reading the book (again) not two weeks ago - there are simply too many inconsistencies - but I was hoping the new director would be able to pull it off.

Bellatrix (Helena Carter), for the small part she played, was excellent. I wish she had a bit more screen time, but the book didn't cover her much and as a result was lucky to be covered in the movie.

Tonks is hot.

A fun movie, if you are below 15 years of age and or hadn't read the books - but I suspect most will come away wondering what exactly happened.

Discuss.

I actually agree with you. Compared to the book it's pretty disjointed and a lot of things seemed kinda out of place. It was almost as bad as Eragon when it came to the "IT DIDNT HAPPEN LIKE THAT" factor. So much was moved around or changed or fiddled with.

And then, it just seemed like for a large part of the movie, nothing really happened. I mean, things were happening, but they were totally underplayed, like someone just couldn't be bothered to tell it properly.

I know Goblet of Fire also had a lot of stuff culled from it, sub-plots etc, because it really is quitea large book, and fitting all that into a movie would be immensely hard, but I felt tat was handled a lot better than this.. it seemed like there was a lot missing here.

I still enjoyed it, but I don't think it's on par with the previous movies.

At this point, the movie execs know people will see the movie regardless of quality, because... well... it's HARRY FRIGGEN POTTER! Perhaps the largest fictional media whore in the world.

I guessed that this film was probably not very good after seeing an advert for it in the newspaper.

In adverts for films, they usually have a quote from a review of the film. In the case of the new Harry Potter film, the quote was this:

"...awesome..." - News of the World

First of all, the News of the World? The release of a Harry Potter movie is not exactly small news, so I'd expect most of the major newspapers to review it. In this case, they've chosen to quote from a shitty second rate tabloid.

Secondly, the quote itself. A single word, "awesome"? If it was a longer quote, such as "the most awesome film of this summer", or "the most awesome harry potter film so far", then fair enough, but they only give me a single word. There is no context whatsoever. For all I know, the original quote was "an awesome disappointment of a film".

So I'm already put off from seeing this film from the fact that the best review quote that they could come up with is to quote a single word from a review by a crap newspaper.

I have to admit to not being very interested in harry potter but I was really into shrek, what a load of crap the third shrek movie is, I wouldnt be surprised if the latest harry potter is just as bad a rip off

The better the first movie(s) does, the less pressure to make a great sequel. Take Beverly Hills Cop. Great movie, poor sequels. Or how about Blair Witch? The original was a cult hit, but half the people who saw it don't even know that there's a sequel.

well the daily news, one of new york's top rated newspapers, gave it not one, but two positive reviews. I'm gonna see it on the 19th and then try to get to this "adults only" book release party at a book store in greenpoint, brooklyn.

Upset that the Dumbledore/Voldemort fight towards the end didn't have Dumbledore bringing the statues to life, as he did in the book.

Overall, though, the 5th book is easily my least favorite in the series, and so I'm not entirely surprised that the movie reflects that.

Like every Harry Potter move it made no sense out of context, had crappy acting, and was only seen by me out of some fan-boyish compulsion. I really have never liked a Harry Potter movie and yet I love the books. I know people who love both and people who only like the movie, but the movies have always seemed like badly acted, watered down versions of the book which don't carry their own story but instead assume the viewer already knows the story enough that it doesn't have to hold itself together.

You know what's funny, though? In the books, Harry is a pretty freakin' boring character. I don't know if this was done intentionally or not but casting a really boring actor to play him in the movies is pretty much a stroke of genius.

I haven't read any of the books, but i've taken my boy to all of the movies.
The only thing that pissed me off was the fact that Harry seems to be the "chosen one" for everything. If there is a door that can't be opened, Harry will do it. An impossible spell, Harry will do it. A clogged toilet, Harry will do it...

I'd imagine the movies would be downright brutal for anyone who hasn't read the books. So much is left out, and even though it's not necessarily integral to the movement of the plot, it is much easier seeing the movies knowing how to fill in the blanks.

I still havn't read the books and while the movies aren't anything terrible, they do try to cover too much in a short time. I think part of the problem with this movie is that people had a problem with the book its-self because some of the things are just too far fetched from what I'm told (like the councilwomen taking control of hogwarts from dumbledore)

All that stuff aside, i think the plot is explained the best it can be for a two and a half hour movie. However, the whole secret war nobody tell harry thing is played up too much.

Havent seen it yet, but i heard the audio-book.
And after what you all write here it seems to be HP-lite, again.

I was dragged into this film by she-who-hungers. I have never read the books and never seen the movies before it, and I really have no fucking idea wtf any of it was about.

The special effects were mostly shit, the characters were gaybar (with the possible exception of Gary Oldman and Bonham Carter) and I still don't have a clue what the fuck the stupid fucking film was meant to be about. I don't see how it progressed any sort of universal plot, it just felt like three hours of filler.

But Shrub-Niggurath liked it, so what the fuck do I know?

I've never seen any of the Harry Potter movies and I'm feeling quite happy with that, you have to punch my lights out and drag me to the theater to go see it.

I liked this movie, I can't stand Sirius's actor tainting the character so I applauded when he died. The fact that Hermione can only portray two emotions and Harry's attempts at anguish never cease to make me cringe but also laugh.

The guys I saw this with were like "nothing happened! I was really waiting for something to happen!" Three things happened; Sirius died, people now believe Harry and Dumbledore, and something else (which I've forgotten)

When I told them that this one beat the ever loving shit out of the others, they couldn't believe me. "The others are worse? Fuck..."

I really did enjoy this one. The last fight scenes were quite good.

They need to stick to the book's level instead of stooping for the kiddies.

Slight timeline I know, but I just saw it.

I was expecting good things having read a few reviews but it shows you what critics know.

I agree with most of you guys, the story was thin and disjointed. There were some good moments but also a lot of awkward passages and a lot of the characters like Malfuoy were reduced to their profile summaries for token appearances.

The weakest in what's been a good series so far. Comes up short - not a terrible movie.