Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
blob84

alien vendetta windows xp

hi, can i play alien vendetta wad on windows xp?
if yes, how?
it works with dosbox but if i can play on windows is better

thank you

Right, AV doesn't work with Doom95 because it contains MIDIs in it.

You can use one of the community supported engines to play it, such as PrBoom, ZDoom, or JDoom (there are others, as well). Searching for those in Google will get you to their web pages.

Choco-Doom might do for you, but its sound effects system still needs work. The noises (SFX) are played at a too high frequency, and don't fade at eighth levels. Normally they should fade there, but not dissipate. In Choco-Doom otherwise they fade.

Graphics also showed a problem the time I ran them on my newer computer. The display was shifted around, through the monitor screen. I can't test them now.

Maybe there are not-in-game settings I'm not aware myself. There's a large thread about Chocolate-Doom in the "Ports" forum.

If you want vanilla compatibility, try the Eternity Engine (EE).

Otherwise, any port should do.

printz said:
The noises (SFX) are played at a too high frequency,

Chocolate Doom sounds like Doom under Windows 9x. Under DOS Doom might sound a bit differently, but there's no point emulating that (especially since in most respects Chocolate Doom is more like Doom on Windows 9x than Doom on DOS, given windows, shortcuts and other tools are available).

and don't fade at eighth levels. Normally they should fade there, but not dissipate. In Choco-Doom otherwise they fade.

No; Chocolate Doom is the only port that handles that like Doom (I discussed this with fraggle extensively and he found the specifics and implemented them). In any level 8 there is sound diminishing but sound never fades completely. You're either aren't using a relatively new version or haven't tested properly.

There was no point nitpicking random bugs you found (which might be from older versions, or specific to systems like yours) and, while Chocolate Doom and Eternity are certainly good options, the guy didn't specifically ask for a purist engine.

Antidote said:
I was thinking, why doesn't all the port makers ban together and make a super port?

It would be a pain to agree exactly what to include, and hell to maintain. It's much easier to work in a specialized way than to try to do everything together. How long would it take to implement new features into the engine without causing conflicts and bugs, and how would you prevent such an effort from causing independent development to stagnate?

The closest thing you get, in addition to some technical cross compatibility by agreement, is when some engines provide aggregated support for features selectively, like PrBoom's careful support for all the Doom and Boom engine features and compatibilities, and in the way ZDoom or others have taken Boom features, or GZDoom added Legacy features.

PS: The way you divided "vanilla-likes" is misleading; you apparently just meant software rendering engines. Engines that can be considered "vanilla-like" are Doom95, Chocolate Doom, PrBoom, PrBoom+ Eternity, and perhaps Odamex, as well as, roughly, a few other more obscure and less used engines (WinDoom, and so on).

Well that makes sense, but perhaps to cut down on the variety of ports perhaps 2 port designers could come together and make one port. I don't know.

I divided everything up by graphical rendering, I'm gonna change the "Vanilla-like" to "Software (Vanilla-like) Rendering".

myk said:

Chocolate Doom sounds like Doom under Windows 9x. Under DOS Doom might sound a bit differently, but there's no point emulating that (especially since in most respects Chocolate Doom is more like Doom on Windows 9x than Doom on DOS, given windows, shortcuts and other tools are available).

Isn't vanilla Doom supposed to play sounds at 'telephone quality', 11025 Hz, no matter how their nominal one is (so the high quality ssg reloading is still low)? In both systems, Chocolate Doom plays them at higher 'quality', making them sound "tinny" as the effect of creating sponge holes.

No; Chocolate Doom is the only port that handles that like Doom (I discussed this with fraggle extensively and he found the specifics and implemented them). In any level 8 there is sound diminishing but sound never fades completely.

Sorry, what I meant by "fade" was "diminishing". In other levels Chocolate Doom did diminish the sounds (good) but in eighth levels they were played at FULL VOLUME, here ON MY OLDER WIN98 ENSONIQ SOUNDSCAPE PC though. Stereo still existed, however. I checked that by running through E2M8 and MAP08. Does it happen on others' computers too?

printz said:
Isn't vanilla Doom supposed to play sounds at 'telephone quality', 11025 Hz, no matter how their nominal one is (so the high quality ssg reloading is still low)?

No, Doom (and Chocolate Doom) will play any 8-bit sound at its corresponding frequency. Some early source based engines, such as DOSDoom and WinDoom, play everything at 11025 Hz, and that's why the SSG sounds all wrong in them, unlike in Doom where it sounds right.

In other levels Chocolate Doom did diminish the sounds (good) but in eighth levels they were played at FULL VOLUME, here ON MY OLDER WIN98 ENSONIQ SOUNDSCAPE PC though. Stereo still existed, however. I checked that by running through E2M8 and MAP08. Does it happen on others' computers too?

Your sound card shouldn't make a difference, and I use Windows 98 too. I'm pretty sure you're not using one of the latest betas, because sound diminishes to a degree in the 8th levels, but the fix was added after v1.4 (the latest "stable release") was made available. I was verifying it earlier as I replied to you above; getting close to the Cyberdemon in E2M8 I would hear him loudly, while running far off with IDSPISPOPD I'd still hear him, but rather faintly. In Doom95, that's broken and sounds are at full volume always (which is pretty annoying). Earlier versions of Chocolate Doom behaved like Doom95 does (which is what you're experiencing).

Antidote said:

Well that makes sense, but perhaps to cut down on the variety of ports perhaps 2 port designers could come together and make one port. I don't know.

Uh, it's not like each port is designed by just one person. I don't think even Zdoom is any longer.

BTW, your list is very inconsistent. Edge is openGL. I am not even sure if they still have their Software engine. And Vavoom is an Software/OpenGL engine.
Legacy is also both OpenGL and Software. yet they're not listed together.
There's more though I can't be bothered.

kristus said:

Edge is openGL. I am not even sure if they still have their Software engine.

EDGE's Software renderer was ditched for 1.29

thanks all,
but how can i configure zdoom, eternity or others to run alien vendetta wad?

myk said:

No, Doom (and Chocolate Doom) will play any 8-bit sound at its corresponding frequency. Some early source based engines, such as DOSDoom and WinDoom, play everything at 11025 Hz, and that's why the SSG sounds all wrong in them, unlike in Doom where it sounds right.

Your sound card shouldn't make a difference, and I use Windows 98 too. I'm pretty sure you're not using one of the latest betas, because sound diminishes to a degree in the 8th levels, but the fix was added after v1.4 (the latest "stable release") was made available. I was verifying it earlier as I replied to you above; getting close to the Cyberdemon in E2M8 I would hear him loudly, while running far off with IDSPISPOPD I'd still hear him, but rather faintly. In Doom95, that's broken and sounds are at full volume always (which is pretty annoying). Earlier versions of Chocolate Doom behaved like Doom95 does (which is what you're experiencing).

So is the sound all working correctly then? Nothing that I need to fix? :-)

I should note that if you edit chocolate-doom.cfg you can change the sound sample rate, so if you really want the sound forced to 11025Hz, you can do so.

kristus said:

Uh, it's not like each port is designed by just one person. I don't think even Zdoom is any longer.

BTW, your list is very inconsistent. Edge is openGL. I am not even sure if they still have their Software engine. And Vavoom is an Software/OpenGL engine.
Legacy is also both OpenGL and Software. yet they're not listed together.
There's more though I can't be bothered.

Firstly, I was just using the number as an example and not as a fact. I am saying 2 DESIGNERS, such as the Designers for ZDoom and the Designers of EDGE or something like that. It's a stupid idea, just ignore it.

Secondly, the last version of EDGE on my computer came with both EDGE and glEDGE. I thought it was like PrBoom where it comes with PrBoom and glBoom.

I know nothing about Vavoom, so I put it in a category I thought it would fit.

Legacy, I thought, was primarily GL, with software rendering optional, that's why I put it there.

Sorry, maybe the breaking down was a bad idea. I'll remake the list and just put in parenthesis what it's rendering is.

EDIT: List remade:

List of commonly used ports
Chocolate Doom (very Vanilla, software rendering)
PRBoom (Software rendering, comes with GLBoom, optional)
Vavoom (I don't know much about Vavoom, except that it renders both Software and OpenGL)
Eternity Engine (Software rendering)
ZDoom (Software rendering)
EDGE: Enhanced Doom Gaming Engine (Was software and OpenGL rendering, but as of version 1.29, only OpenGL)
GZDoom (OpenGL rendering primary. Software rendering, optional)
ZDoomGL (OpenGL rendering primary)
Doom Legacy (OpenGL and software rendering)
Doomsday (3D/OpenGL rendering. Patches required for 3D models/hi-res textures)
Risen3D (3D/OpenGL rendering. Patches required for 3D models/hi-res textures, I think)
Skulltag (Multiplayer primary port, software and OpenGL rendering)
ZDaemon (Multiplayer primary port, software rendering)

Better?

blob84 said:

thanks all,
but how can i configure zdoom, eternity or others to run alien vendetta wad?

The command line is pretty easy, examples here:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31839

If you just want to run them just drop the part of the command line about recording and it will run great.

You can also drag and drop the wad onto the icon for the port in some cases and it will run.

I also sometimes select the wads(s) then right click, copy and then just right click and paste them onto the executable icon.

Some ports have launchers as well.

What I do, is I find where the game is (you know C:/Program Files blah de blah)

Then I right click on the Icon for the game (like ZDoom or Skulltag or Legacy etc.) then click create shortcut.

I then right-click the shortcut and where it says "Target" you then press spacebar after the quote marks, type -file AV.wad AVMUS.wad -deh AV.deh.

That is, assuming the AV wad and deh files are in the same folder as the game engine (e.g. Zdoom)

BoldEnglishman said:

What I do, is I find where the game is (you know C:/Program Files blah de blah)

Then I right click on the Icon for the game (like ZDoom or Skulltag or Legacy etc.) then click create shortcut.

I then right-click the shortcut and where it says "Target" you then press spacebar after the quote marks, type -file AV.wad AVMUS.wad -deh AV.deh.

That is, assuming the AV wad and deh files are in the same folder as the game engine (e.g. Zdoom)

thank you very much, it works finally, i can play on xp!!!