Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Steeveeo

"Black Hole Effect" (GZDoom)

As it stands right now I cannot get a negative value for A_RadiusThrust to work in the latest GZDoom. I am workin on a weapon that is kind of a "black hole generator" that sucks in the enemy and then vaporizes them. But, I can get no farther than the pulling force.

I can get the radius thrust to work perfectly with posiive values in both radius and force, but when I try to make either one a negative value to pull in everything around it, the effect nullifies completely...

Is there a way to make a pulling force instead of a pushing force using any DECORATE actions?

(yes I have checked the wiki)

What about pusher and more importantly puller objects that came from Boom?

Thanks for the reply, but I have a couple questions about it:

One, can you spawn pullers from a projectile with all the necessary arguments?
Two, does GZDoom even have these to begin with?

EDIT: Rechecked the wiki, apparently the ACS needed to create the pointforce is only valid during startup (whether it be pusher or puller) and would not work on projectiles.

Well these should be the uneconomical ways..

Uneconomical way #1

Make the explosion of the projectile (or hit scan weapon), shoot objects (may be invisible unless you want the players to know the radious of the black void) in like 16 angles or so drawing a circle(like the Ironlich projectiles, or the weapon of Strife that looks like a BFG but with more angles, and invisible projectiles).
Give the projectiles "nocliping flag".

Set the frames of the projectiles so they freeze after certain moment (perhaps seting them to die and spawn a new object). Then set them to shoot constantly invisible projectiles without aiming for target, and set the angle so they shoot to the center. Give these projectiles no misiledamage but high push factor. Set the sprites so they disapear after a short movement. Also set the objects of the circle to disapear after some seconds.

Most probably I wasn't clear. Here a step by step explanation.

-The weapon projectiles shoots invisible particles in 16 or so, drawing a circle, when explodes.
-The projectiles shooted by the weapon main projectile, are invisible and move through solid objects.
-These shooted objects freeze after a time and start shooting constantly a new kind of invisible objects that cause no damage but push things. These disapear after some seconds or they'll cause major chaos in the map.
-The things that draw an invisible circle disapear also after a while.

Yeah, this demands a lot of work, and it's very confusing.

--

Uneconomical way #2

Another way to pull objects is giving negative damage. This was very buggy in vanilla exe I never tested it on source ports. Negative damage adds health to the target, this could be solved adding another thing that cause the same damage but positive, but at the same time doesn't push objects, so the result should be the pull effect.

I've thought about what you are sayin vegeta, but there is a flaw here that it took me a while to realize.

Unless you are already in the "Event Horizon", the invisible pushers will keep you out of the blackhole instead of pushing you inwards...

I'll see if GZDoom will let me do the second thing (I am only using GZDoom for this, no other source ports or vanilla, as it requires some specific features no available elsewhere)

This may be one of the more confusng weapons I've done...

With luck it will force the hud face to do the Ouch! face. That could add to the despair of the player.

Please tell us if you get to something.

hrrm....maybe the "black hole" would "have" an "emp" or somtm to make the health adding explainable. (like the diagnostic programs in your battlesuit go berserk when you enter the "event horizon")

Damn it...

No matter what way I use to give it the explosion arguments, it never works...

When I put in a negative explosion damage value, it ignores the minus sign completely, and still blows you away. When I give it a negative radius, theres no explosion at all!

There has GOT to be a way to do this!

What if it keeps shooting a spread of invisible projectiles (that vanish after a while) with negative damage and high push factor. At the same time another spread of invisible projectiles but with positive damage and no pushing factor.
In DOOM.exe the negative damage was usable on projectiles so I guess it could work here.

I got to second thing of that last post in progress, but I cant get it to spiral inward, only outward because the spawn offset only goes to the left and right of where the projectile hit.

But I could try this new idea with what I have already.

BTW is there any way to stop A_CustomMissile from targeting the shooter/surrounding things??

No matter what mode I choose, it will still go in the general direction of the player or whoever shot the thing!

I don't know about the code pointers names, but there are four entities that I know about that shoot a projectile that it spread into little projectiles without aiming for a target.

Heretic
-Iron Lich spike balls
-Powered up Dragon Claw (weapon 4)

Hexen
-Wendigo's balls

Strife
-The weapon 7 or so, looks very much like the BFG from Quake 2

Or may be you could just forget about the "aim to target" and add many angles, I know it's possible to make a monster shoot backward while aiming to you. So I guess it's possible to make a monster that shoots to like 32 directions or so.

Another nice thing should be a grappling hook, I remember someone made one for Strife.

Have you tried making a projectile that acts like the lore shot from Strife? IIRC, one of Strife's bosses used this and it acted kind of like a grappling hook. Maybe that's the effect you're looking for.

try using loreshot. loreshot pulls the target to whoever fired it. you could make a projectile that fires a bunch of small invisible shots that use the parent class loreshot, then it will pull any monsters into the source. just an idea

Will that work in GZDoom (ZDoom, Doom in Hexen format)?

EDIT: Lol it does, but the only problem is that is TOO powerful!

Can someone provide a wiki link to the coding of the Loreshot? I cant seem to find it on the ZDoom one.

lol, can't wait to see this. Well black holes are supposed to be powerful, they can even catch the light :-)

yeah....only problem is, that when I tested its effects it literally THREW me out of the level! Somewhere around a half mile outside the outermost border! XP

the amount of pull force that a loreshot based projectile doles out is based on the damage it does. so a 1-damage loreshot wont pull that much. and i think there is a flag that you can set that will make it only do damage to monsters

oh, and if you are using gzdoom, you could use the doomdefs lump to make it have a subtractive point light. another idea is that you could have a big slow moving projectile that vaporizes anything in the middle, and uses loreshots to pull things into it.

EDIT: Cant you also use ACS to define a pusher/puller? you can use ACS_Execute to activate a script that would create a pusher/puller?

Yeah, I've already looked into it as much as possible.

I got launched out of the level by hitting the 1 damage pullers just right.

I've already thought about the big vaporizor in the middle, but it aint working right since most of the time you fly right thru the thing.

And I've already said pullers and pushers can only be set at map startup...