Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vegeta

The age of the doomguy

Bank said:

BTW Flynn Taggart doesn't exist, it's Doomguy.

Any evidence would help, you know... Too bad I don't have the books. Or too good, I don't know. Flynn Taggart is a strange esoteric random name. It's like reading a yellow pages book with letters/characters so small and blurry (due to printing) that they're unreadable. Maybe studying a biology book discussing faces will give a precise answer. In the meantime, check Jean Claude van Damme, who probably inspired the id guys to design Doom1guy and Doom2guy (the same anyway). So, so, so, he's..................47! Heheheh.

@wallis

I'm sorry, I thought Doom was set on phobos and deimos? I've never been to America, but they don't show the impaled dying corpses and hordes of scary demons on The Simpsons so....

There are no impaled corpses on Phobos or Deimos! They're only in Inferno, Earth and Hell 2! Or actually they are in Phobos after all, thanks to KDiZD (kudos to those who made that!).

Bank said:

The Doomguy is undeniably American, just look at the hair on those knuckles.

Ok, I accept the Flynn Taggart thing, but who says that Doomguy is American, he's a space marine. SPACE... there's no oil there so you haven't invaded it yet. Honestly though, what nationality is Doomguy, I mean if anything he appears Aryan with the blond hair.

But what has this gotta do with his age? I don't know....

Also, I'm not french. What the hell makes you think I'm French? lol, (at the expense of the French,) I'm insulted!! I'm actually British.

wallis said:

I mean if anything he appears Aryan with the blond hair.

Actually his hair is brown.

hehe, I guess it depends how bright your screen is. But to me I think he's always seemed blond. But you're probably right, I'm quite blind with colours.

fraggle said:

Over NINE THOUSAND!!!

Needs more desu! No exception!

@topic:
My bet is on the 30-35 age.

the fact that id Software is american makes doomguy almost certainly american. and his age? well, in the manual to Ultimate Doom it sez:

"You're a marine, one of Earth's toughest, hardened in combat and trained for action. Three years ago you assaulted a superior officer for ordering his soldiers to fire upon civilians. He and his body cast were shipped to Pearl Harbor, while you were transferred to Mars, home of the Union Aerospace Corporation."

that story sounds more like the superior officer was high up, eg. brigadier/colenel/general. (according to my knowledge of army advancement). that leaves our doomguy somewhere between maybe a seargeant and a brigadier, so i'd say he's mid 30's, and if he's seen civilians getting fired upon, he's probably got some age in his face.

and does anyone think he looks older or younger in doom3? it may be the better graphics but i think he looks a bit younger, but older at the same time. or maybe im just getting square vision.

cheers

Bank said:

The Doomguy is undeniably American, just look at the hair on those knuckles.

Definitely.

What's the point in saying that Flynn Taggart doesn't exist when Doomguy obviously doesn't either?

Anyway, while the novels aren't cannon, they are sometimes useful for comparison. His age is never mentioned in them, though I think he's supposed to be a 4 year man at the rank of Corporal, so for that reason I assumed he'd be about 26 (as a former poster mentioned). He can't be of any higher rank in the game, either. Of course, as Myk pointed out, he could well have been demoted for assaulting that superior officer who ordered his troops to attack unarmed civilians. The face always suggested an older man to me, about 5 - 10 years older.

I thought the manual made it pretty clear that you are the doom guy. They assumed that the majority of the gaming audience for doom would probably be male, and somewhere in their twenties or thirties, so they made the doomguy generically look that way. As for the novels, they can't say your the main character, so they created a new one, and gave him the name Flynn Taggart. Thats just my opinion.

BGbad said:

and does anyone think he looks older or younger in doom3? it may be the better graphics but i think he looks a bit younger, but older at the same time. or maybe im just getting square vision.

Well, Doom3's story is a complete rewrite and is entirely separate than the original Doom background story, I don't know if the officer/civilian part even applies.

wallis said:

Ok, I accept the Flynn Taggart thing, but who says that Doomguy is American, he's a space marine. SPACE... there's no oil there so you haven't invaded it yet. Honestly though,

Ahahaha! so true.

Im gonna say mid-twenties. There are pictures of marines in their 20's that look about 35 because of the effect conflict has on them.
If Doomguy is truely a battle-hardened marine, yet looks kinda old, I'm willing to guess mid-twenties.

POTGIESSER said:

The ouch face tells me that age is irrelevant.

Hahaha, so true

Okay, so I got bored.

That is probably what he would look like now.
-Lose a little of his tan/skin tone.
-Have a crusty beard.
-slightly messy hair.

Basically, this is a tough as nails hardcore marine who saved Earth on numerous occasions. Hes gonna be a rough looking guy. And after he fought through the episodes of Ultimate Doom and then fought through Doom2, he probably doesnt really give a shit about his appearance. Hes probably too tired to get up and shave anyways! lol

Well, then I guess that day will come too:

To me he's always been at least 30. I really wouldn't place his age any lower. I wonder if they based the face on anyone in particular...

In always thought 30 to 34 could be doomguys age.He is not a new marine based on the story in the Ultimate DOOM manual and his face looks world weary.I also think before accidently killing his superior he had a rough life.

Story:
You're a marine, one of Earth's toughest, hardened in combat and trained for action. Three years ago you assaulted a superior officer for ordering his soldiers to fire upon civilians. He and his body cast were shipped to Pearl Harbor, while you were transferred to Mars, home of the Union Aerospace Corporation.

Well, from what I can assume, after reading the novels, playing the games, the fanfics, etc, etc...

I'd put it in this sense.

The Doom Marine (Most people call him Flynn Taggart, due to the novels, but he's whatever you want him to be) At his rank, before the incident, would most likely be the rank of a Staff Sergeant, A Squad leadership position. He knocked out his CO because he disobeyed an order. Now, if it was just him, he would've most likely been sent to Fort Levenworth (Prison for convicted military soldiers)and promptly executed. But, Since this happened, he would've most likely been stripped of his rank, bumped down to a Corporal (2 ranks lower than a Staff sergeant- pvt, pfc, lcpl, cpl, sgt, ssg) And sent to Phobos Base. Thus, His age at the time of the incident, was 29, the earliest age a steady soldier in the marines would possibly get that rank, and at the time of Doom 1, he's 32. He's not too old, and not too young, has experience, and he's pretty much in his "Prime" Career wise.

sidarmas

Why would they send a body cast to pearl harbor if he knocked his superior out.

I agree with everything you say but I think doomguy personly killed the guy by accident, maybe by punching him so hard that his superior died of a blood clot.

Well, You know what I mean. Sorry if it didn't make sense to you. By knocking out, I mean beating the living hell out of to the point where his CO was within an inch of his life.

sidarmas said:

Well, You know what I mean. Sorry if it didn't make sense to you. By knocking out, I mean beating the living hell out of to the point where his CO was within an inch of his life.

Can you blame him? I would probably do the same.

Maes said:

Well, then I guess that day will come too:

Maes, you need a shave :) :)