Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bashe

To midi composers out there

I've been making MIDIs for a while now, and I've been using Anvil Studio. It's worked well enough for me, but I noticed that it cannot change tempos. You're stuck with one tempo and can only half or double it.

Are there any MIDI composing/sequencing programs out there that allow tempo changing as like an event or something? Also, the ability to decrescendo and crescendo would be cool, too, as well as note bending. I know most of this is possible because I've heard midis using them before.

Voyetra Record Producer MIDI Edition is the software that pretty much gives you the best combination of ease of use, functionality, stability, and value. You can download a 30-day trial, and I think the full version is around $50.

Well, I suppose all the really good ones are gonna cost money. Any other good ones in addition to andrewB's?

I've always been happiest with the Cakewalk products. Pro Audio 9, though old, is still a very capable MIDI editor. Recently, I went up to using SONAR 6 and have never looked back at my old programs (it's friggin' amazing), though that may be overkill for you. But Pro Audio 9 could probably be found fairly cheap on eBay or whatnot.

On Linux, Rosegarden 3 looked rather cool, too.

I use fruityloops is an unorthodox manner and most people that are FL experts would punch me in the face.

Works for me though

Bashe said:

I've been making MIDIs for a while now, and I've been using Anvil Studio. It's worked well enough for me, but I noticed that it cannot change tempos. You're stuck with one tempo and can only half or double it.

Are there any MIDI composing/sequencing programs out there that allow tempo changing as like an event or something? Also, the ability to decrescendo and crescendo would be cool, too, as well as note bending. I know most of this is possible because I've heard midis using them before.

I'm interested in finding a decent MIDI synthesizer application so I decided to check out Anvil Studio when you mentioned it. I don't know what you mean when you say you can't change tempos; there's a small text box in the top right hand corner of the Composer view interface that says "tempo" above it and can be changed to any value really. And with regards to doing crescendo and things, all a crescendo really is is the change of volume over time - you can go into the event list and tweak the volumes of individual notes. There's probably another way of doing it but that's one way I found after playing with this for only five minutes.

The help included with it also states you can include crescendo, decrescendo and slur notation (slur notes are the music notation term for note "bending") but I'm not sure if this is only notation and doesn't actually affect the sound itself. There should be some way of dynamically changing the tempo too, perhaps by adding an event in the event list? I'll need to play around with it more. I've only been messing around with it for a short while so feel free to tell me that I'm wrong on some or all of these points, or that I misunderstood. I used to use Cakewalk 3 back in the day and loved it; I was never impressed with most of the later versions.

Yeah, when I said tempo changes I meant making it so you could have like several tempo changes in a song. I was aware you could change the overall tempo. I was also aware that you could do crescendos and stuff since I have done them, I was just curious if there was an easier way than taking each note and messing with its volume, or maybe even making a crescendo on ONE note.

But anyways, I can live without this stuff for now. I was just seeing what other composers had to suggest on this subject, and I'll still take suggestions for other sequencers.

Change the tempo of a song
You can change the tempo of all Instrument and Rhythm tracks in the song by selecting Metronome from the View menu and changing the Tempo field.

With the optional Pro-Mix accessory, you can do either of the following:

• Select the Insert Midi Controller Event from the Edit menu and set the control type to Tempo (BPM). The tempo will now be that new value from the current point until the end of the song.
  • Graphically edit the tempo over time as follows:
(snip)

The optional Pro-Mix accessory is described at, and can be ordered from, our website: AnvilStudio.com for US$19.

(emphasis added)