Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zom-B

No single level will load. Error 6: Overflow, and more.

I could start the topic with: "The program cannot do a godd**n f**ing thing but generate errors! It's USELESS!", but I will just be civilized and point out which errors I encountered after downloading the program for the first time and trying to work with it in a time period of 30 minutes, and hope for a solution. I have tried searching the forums for similar errors, but no-one got them in the same places.

These are some of the errors I Always encounter (assuming all the IWADs are configured):
Loading supplied example fbase6.wad: Error 6 while loading map: Overflow
Loading map from DOOM IWAD: Error 6 while loading map: Overflow
Loading a DOOM PWAD: Error 6 while loading map: Overflow
Loading map from Heretic IWAD: Error 6 while loading map: Overflow
Loading map from Hexen IWAD: Error 6 while loading map: Overflow
Loading map from TNT IWAD: Error 6 while loading map: Overflow
Loading map from Plutonia IWAD: Error 6 while loading map: Overflow
Loading a DOOM2 PWAD: Error 6 while loading map: Overflow
Loading map from DOOM2 IWAD: After waiting an unreasonably long time: List of loading errors (see below) and map loaded with a lot of lines extending to infinity and a lot of unknown textures
Whichever game I create a new map for, I cannot see any wall textures, but only names below black spaces. Floor textures display correctly.

I Think this is a replicatable (double) error, but I'm not sure.
1. Having no IWAD configured for a specific game.
2. Create a map for the game. Press 'Ok' at the warning
3. Configure the IWAD manually with F5
4. After pressing 'Ok': Runtime error '9': Subscript out of range.
5. Without pressing 'Ok' again and after alt-tab, it vanishes without crash

Errors I got once but couldn't replicate:
Loading map from TNT IWAD: immediate crash
Editing a sidedef in a newly created DOOM2 map: Program vanished without crash

Any ideas of how to get at least *something* working?

(I run Windows XP Professional with 2GB ram with a 1680x1050 resolution, dunno if it's important.)

Errors while loading MAP01 (DOOM2):
ERROR: Linedef 369 references invalid vertex 11520. Linedef has been removed.
ERROR: Linedef 368 references invalid vertex 13881. Linedef has been removed.
WARNING: Linedef 368 has length zero
ERROR: Linedef 367 references invalid vertex 11520. Linedef has been removed.
ERROR: Linedef 366 references invalid vertex 5632. Linedef has been removed.
WARNING: Linedef 365 has length zero
ERROR: Linedef 364 references invalid sidedef2 11520. Linedef has been removed.
WARNING: Linedef 364 has length zero
(247 lines total)

You have to specify the IWAD BEFORE you start a new wad, I believe. Then see if these errors still occur after you configure the appropiate IWADS.
It also sounds like your IWADS are messed up. Have you tried running -doom-(Actually try ZDOOM - it will alert you to errors better) with them?

If you had read carefully, you'd seen that I already configured the IWADs. My wads are presumably fine, because I have them from different sources, and run fine on both DOS's Doom v1.9 and Doomsday (haven't tried ZDOOM). I also have different versions of DOOM.WAD, DOOM1.WAD and DOOM2.WAD, all of them fail in the same way.

fyi, i included an SFV file with checksums so you can check if they are the same as your own wads, if not, I'd like to know of course.

; Generated by WIN-SFV32 v1.0
; (Compatible: Total Commander 6.55)
DOOM.WAD BF0EAAC0
doubles\DOOM.WAD 4686EB7B
doubles\DOOM1.WAD 162B696A
DOOM1.WAD B0E19CB8
doubles\DOOM2.WAD EC8725DB
DOOM2.WAD E2A683BD
HERETIC.WAD 5B16049E
HEXEN.WAD EECE0236
HEXEN40.TXT 0909B703
PLUTONIA.bak 48D1453C
PLUTONIA.WAD 48D1453C
TNT.WAD 903DCC27

Uninstalled and re-installed, without results

[Edit] Oh, and if my wads are messed up, then DB should be fixed accordingly. (remember my wads works on other doom engines)

Never mind the checksum data. I just found this page, with which I could determine that all but two of my files are original!

Any ideas left?

The only thing I can come up with is that its some sort of character set problem related to Visual Basic (It's practically famous for having VERY bad internationalization support). You've got the EXACT same errors and stuff that I have with it. Check and see what language you have set for non-Unicode programs in the Control Panel.

To do that:

Head on over to the Regional and Language Options in the Control Panel, and click on the Advanced tab. Your selected language will be under the Dropdown for the Language for non-Unicode Programs.

If its set to English, it's probably not an encoding issue, but if it isn't, you might need to set it to English (United States) and reboot. Then see if that fixes it. (Be warned your text in some older programs (and some newer ones) might mess up and display as garbage, but at least DB should work properly. You can always switch it back when you're not using DB anyway. Yes, there is AppLocale that can supposedly switch it temporarily, but it does NOT work at all, because it isn't DB you need to run in English settings, its the VB runtime DLL's, which is something AppLocale can't do.

NOTES:
(I've figured out through some trial and error before that DB hates most non-English locale settings (thank Visual Basic's habit of converting everything to ANSI for all the overflow errors), and will do nothing but crash like that if you try to do anything. It does the same thing for me with the locale set to Japanese. If I turn it back to English, I never have a problem other than my keyboard layout going weird because I use a Japanese keyboard.)

Thanks, Questwizard, It works now. I had set non-unicode setting to Japanese, because some programs had problems with Japanese characters. Fortunately, most of these programs have become unicode-compatible in the mean time.

@#$&~! visual basic, I hated it already when the first version came out.