Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Raikoh_Minamoto

What music reminds you of Doom?

when i was a kid i played doom even more than i do now. The songs i liked best though were those that were rips of Metallica, Slayer and Pantera and i only found out they were rips later when i was about 15, and started getting into metal.

more on topic: a song that really reminds me of Doom is a song called "My Lunatic Asylum" by Annihilator. I'm not sure it's very doomish, but for some reason it still reminds me a lot of Doom.

Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
Rammstein - Herzeleid
Nine Inch Nails - Further Down the Spiral
Korn - Korn

First two because they have the same kind of Chuggy, industrial sound as Doom.
Korn, because i have memories of Playing Doom with this blaring out. Good times.

DJShrimpy said:

"Do you know the Muffin Man" always reminds me of Doom.

Yeah, the muffin man comes REALLY close to Level 11 of TNT, I hated the level and the music (SO MANY ARCHIES!).

Ace of Base.

I heard a song by them this morning at a restaurant and it got me in the mood for playing Doom. :D Oh, and singing. :D

EarthQuake said:

Apocalyptica does a good job, especially their earlier stuff.

Agreed, that band's awsome too. Of course all the artists R.Prince used as inspiration. A lot of the pwads I first played had midis from NIN, Europe, and Depeche Mode, so whenever I listen to those bands I always remember DMing in those maps. Ah good memories :)

Sanctified by nine inch nails.

Out 4 years before Doom, but its got the same feel as a lot of the darker tracks on Doom. I'd love to hear that MIDI'd up and put into a WAD

Dittohead said:

Slayer always reminds me of Doom. Probably because I always used to play them when I was younger when I was playing doom. Matter of fact, the two are almost inseperable in my head, for some reason.

I have the exact same thing with Metallica's Black Album. In fact, individual songs instantly make me recall specific levels, because I was using them as background music playing as a teenager on the Playstation.

This only ever happened with Doom, with one exception: Smells Like Children makes me picture some flying robot head boss in a maze, from Shadows of the Empire, even though I don't remember when or where I ever played/owned that game. Weird stuff, heh...

The best music to play Doom to that I've heard is the Batman Beyond soundtrack. Don't laugh - this music is absolutely kick-ass. Most of hit is heavy metal, but there is techno influence and it's mixed with atmospheric electronica - perfect for wandering the hellish corridors of Doom and Doom 2. Here's the Amazon.com page.
http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Beyond-1999-Animated-Television/dp/B00000JZAF/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-4658393-8155845?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1177141694&sr=1-1
The best track is "Batman's First Fight". Check out the sample clip. Also check out "Batman Defeats Chappelle". Only three tracks don't work for Doom, "Farewells", a piano track, "The Legacy Continues", a stupid acoustic pop track, and "Move to the Groove", A nightclub techno track.

Other than that, I usually listen to the original Doom music, but not the MIDIs, I can't stand general Midi. I usually look around the net for covers. My favorite Doom song has to be E1M1.

I don't usually listen to regular metal while playing Doom, mostly because the singing distracts me. Nine Inch Nails, however, makes excellent Doom music.

Also, soundtracks to other shooter games also often have good soundtracks to listen to while playing Doom, they often have the blend of atmosphere and instrumental metal that made the original Doom music so great.

Front Line Assembly, Funker Vogt, Obituary, Celtic Frost.. Some Front 242, they have some very dark, sterile music that reminds me of the levels from Episode 1.

Ed said:

Front Line Assembly

Nuff Said, to be honest. FLA are pretty awesome anyway, but to Doom, its something else.

Ulver - Silence the singing

30 minute long EP, 3 treaks, all bleak, arty and awesome to play Doom to.

I made a CD mix for the sole purpose of listening to as I play Doom. All of the songs remind me of Doom in some way or another. It has the following songs:

1. Morbid Angel -- Dominate
2. Behemoth -- Demigod
3. Soilwork -- In a Close Encounter
4. Cephalic Carnage -- Enviovore
5. Death -- Vacant Planets
6. Carcass -- Heartwork ("Go to Hell" would have been more appropriate)
7. Kreator -- Total Death
8. Cryptopsy -- Adeste Infidelis
9. Nile -- Burning in the Pits of the Duat
10. Darkthrone -- Cromlech (covered by Emperor)
11. Slayer -- Altar of Sacrifice
12. Suffocation -- Reincremation
13. Dimmu Borgir -- Blazing Monoliths of Defiance
14. Morbid Angel -- This Means War (before I got ahold of "Formulas Fatal to the Flesh")
15. Kreator -- Replicas of Life
16. Cryptopsy -- The Pestilence that Walketh in Darkness
17. Nile -- Lashed to the Slave Stick
18. Slayer -- Reign in Blood
19. Children of Bodom -- Hellion (this was before "If you want peace..." was released, which would have worked better)
20. Judas Priest -- Painkiller (covered by Death)

Of course, there are many other bands that would be appropriate for Doom as well, and some of these I didn't have any albums of at the time. These include the Berzerker, Dismember, Gorerotted, Bolt Thrower, Immortal, Old Man's Child, Rotting Christ, Krisiun, Messhuggah, Divine Empire, Origin, Necrophagist, Sepultura, Exodus, and Dark Angel. But this was before I was introduced to any of them, or even some of the better songs of the previously mentioned bands. Most of the songs on that Doom mix bore me now.

I'm with the people that were so young that they never heard metal music before playing Doom. I remember liking it and only YEARS later getting into metal and learning that Doom's music was heavily influenced by them.

In fact metal itself just reminds of FPS's lol. The metal song (not really a song 'cos its instrumental) that got me into metal in the first place (Dream Theater - The Dance of Eternity), I remember listening to that and thinking it was so wacky and off the wall -- a bit like Doom music (compared to the usual crap I was listening to at the time).

ooshmaster said:

The best music to play Doom to that I've heard is the Batman Beyond soundtrack. Don't laugh - this music is absolutely kick-ass. Most of hit is heavy metal, but there is techno influence and it's mixed with atmospheric electronica - perfect for wandering the hellish corridors of Doom and Doom 2. Here's the Amazon.com page.
http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Beyond-1999-Animated-Television/dp/B00000JZAF/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-4658393-8155845?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1177141694&sr=1-1
The best track is "Batman's First Fight". Check out the sample clip. Also check out "Batman Defeats Chappelle".

You are my new hero; that soundtrack kicks ass!

Somehow I've had everything from metal to techno to classical remind me of Doom. I can't really pick out anything specific.

Stragely enough (I'm almost positive this only happens to me) but I find it very hard to relate songs to Doom, very few groups get me into demon killing mood (Curious enough Metallica's never gotten me hyped up).

Among those I'd definetely put the earlier stuff by Lamb of God, Shadows Fall really gets me psyched up for some righteous rip&tear. Ac/Dc shoots my adrenaline level up. Black Sabbath and their song "Supernaut" gets my Ctrl finger twitching for chainsawing. Canibal Corpse ("Wretched Spawn" always has me drooling for guts), Six Feet Under, Tool (Schism just....owns your Soul Sphere). The heaviest stuff by Judas also does wonders. That's just about it...Thrash, Grunge...and most modern subgenres of Metal don't really get the gears rolling. Strange.

Pretty much any decent Emperor track reminds me of when I played that music while beating Nightmare...no other game can be that intense!

Generally Metal, Grindcore, Dark\Electro, 70's Rock, "them Bones" of alice in chains(map23), "paint in black" by rolling stones(e2m4 and e2m6), and some other stuff reminds me of doom LOL.

The song Them Bones by Alice and Chains sounds very similar to some parts in Barrles O' Fun in Doom2. Well, to me it does.

To me its instrument melody sounds identical. It's also much better than its Robert Prince M.I.D.I. counterpart.

Inferno said:

The song Them Bones by Alice and Chains sounds very similar to some parts in Barrles O' Fun in Doom2. Well, to me it does.

Why wouldn't it? Isn't that the point of covers?

E1M5's lead melody reminds me of some ambient/trance music from early 90s, but I don't really know the title.