Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Technician

The Simpsons Movie.

Ok I just wanted to get a thread opened for the movie that is officially out today. I'm going to be seeing it tonight and I haven’t watched this show since season fourteen and I'll be seeing this with an open mind.

Anyone seeing this tonight or already caught an early bird?

Heh, wasn't "Married with children" as close to a live-action Simpsons as one could get? I loved that series.

I, and a group of my dumb friends, all went to see it premier dressed as Simpsons characters. I was Lenny.

It was fantastic, I loved it.

I just got back from watching it. It was alot better than I expected, however, it wasn't really worth wasting my money for the ticket. There were a couple of memorable moments though. I'd wait for the DVD to be released.

The trailer looked pretty boring. Just had the usual crap (homer gets hurt, homer gets hurt, homer gets hurt.) I liked the old episodes where they made fun of culture, saw some of them on a plane and I actually was laughing out loud.

They didn't show Marge's boobs
Maggie didn't talk
The F-bomb didn't get dropped
There were only four guest appearances, three of which was Green Day.

Hype lied, and it was so-so.

Coopersville said:

uhhh good

Maggie didn't talk

good

good

GOOD

so I fail to see the problem?

Lizardcommando said:

it wasn't really worth wasting my money for the ticket.

I can't think of a movie released in the last 7 years that was worth paying for.

Coopersville said:

Would a penis suffice?

Maggie didn't talk

You didn't wait till after the credits

As it shouldn't. But Marge yelling Goddamn had my in giggles.

Fantastic!

This movie was alright. There were many instances where I flinched at some of the stupid humor of today’s writing group but for every fail joke a functioning one was right behind. Maybe the only complaint would be some times gags would come off as rapid fire from a machine gun. And the save the town plot really stunk. The most enjoyable part of the movie was the beginning when it was laid back Simpson antics.

Bank said:

I can't think of a movie released in the last 7 years that was worth paying for.

Pixar's Ratatouille was worth paying for, in my opinion.

This movie was worth paying for the monet it came out. I literally camped outside the metrocentre (shopping mall) for a long ass time, and when it got opened up, the cinema got swamped with people...*******ely worth paying for....i fail to see why people dont like it :S but nonetheless, people have different perspectives on films :D

I really enjoyed the film. I came away pleasantly surprised, I don't know what I was expecting, but it was a fun film. Bart's skateboarding scene is, quite possibly, one of the most brilliantly executed scenes in any film I have seen recently.

I disagree with that scene. I like the song "spider pig, sipder pig, doing whatever a spider pig does" lines. They made me laugh and i almost collapsed after the end with excessive laughter

Bank said:

I, and a group of my dumb friends, all went to see it premier dressed as Simpsons characters. I was Lenny.

It was fantastic, I loved it.

At least Im not the only one who dressed up with his dumb friends. I was Ned Flanders...

Dozens of quick, successive cuts of material objects strategically placed to cover Bart's genitalia. For 15 seconds Frisbees, children, balls, mailboxes and other objects brilliantly and hilariously shield Bart's privates from public viewing. Only after you have thoroughly laughed at the ridiculousness of the situation, that everything of Bart is exposed but his penis... bam... for a half second you see his exposed penis... and ONLY his penis. It is the short duration that sells this scene, you laugh because you can't believe what you just saw and they spent so long covering it... only to show it directly. It was misdirection at its best, probably one of the best scenes in the film.

Itchy and Scratchy opening=pure gold.
Homer: "Why did I pay money for something I can see for free on TV?"

Linguica said:

so I fail to see the problem?

I was just pointing out all the hype and red herrings that got busted out on here on IMDb. Though, The Simpsons is all about its animated guest appearances, and it pretty much failed on that one... Green Day, Tom Hanks, and a bunch o' recycled jokes... HIGH FIVE!

EDIT: Also, my bad on not catching the Maggie thing. I don't watch through the credits.

It was a feature-length episode of good Simpsons material. I don't see why you would want anything more than that.

Wasn't there supposed to be a scene at the end with Kang and Kodos? I know I saw them listed in the credits. Maybe it was cut.

Sure was funny to see all those names from Rough Draft Korea. That was their 15 minutes of fame.

alexz721 said:

It was a solid "meh."

So you're saying it touched you more or less because you chose a word popularized by The Simpsons.

Dude, I was saying meh for years before it was ever on the Simpsons.

Danarchy said:

Dude, I was saying meh for years before it was ever on the Simpsons.

You were ahead of the times.

See GGG, I was being ironic.

But seriously, I just wasn't a fan. Homer was just plain unlikeable, there was barely any satire, the slapstick ascended from the usual good fun to freakin' ridiculous and even surreal at times (the fucking wrecking ball scene is a prime example of this), and the score, while good, just didn't feel like The Simpsons. In some ways, I feel it detracted from the movie (though Hans Zimmer is an excellent composer). I mean, where the hell was the subtlety? Where the hell were the expertly embedded social commentaries? Sure, the naked skateboard scene was great, but if an elaborate dick joke is the best this movie has to offer, I am not impressed. If people think making Schwarzenegger the president is witty political humor, they need to seriously watch some of the classic episodes. In the end, the movie boiled down to just another Homer-fucks-up-but-eventually-comes-to-his-senses plot, except instead of being a clueless lovable idiot, he's mostly a sadistic stubborn asshole. "Why does everything I whip leave me?" Oh yeah, that's hilarious.

Did I laugh? Yes. There were many good standalone jokes. But as a cohesive whole, this doesn't hold a candle to The Simpsons I grew up with. It was a mediocre movie, and I won't accept mediocrity as awesome (Tranformers anyone?) just because it's associated with one of the greatest shows of all time. 88% at Rotten Tomatoes? I'd give it a 60% at best. Try again, Groening.

Like many other people here, I felt it was way overhyped. I have to admit though, it was somehow amusing to see a cartoon version of the Burger King. It's pretty weird to go to the theater and pay for something I'm used to watching on tv anyway.

Verdict: I've wasted money on movies that were definitely worse. Give it a half grade better for the orchestral Spider Pig song alone, if that's your type of thing. B-

alexz721 said:

this doesn't hold a candle to The Simpsons I grew up with.

I've come to the conclusion that Simpsons fans wouldn't be able to know a good episode, even if it aired. Every big fan of the Simpsons says "Oh man, it's just not the old stuff... it's just not the old stuff... it's just not the old stuff..." Seriously, would you know good Simpsons if you saw it? I started watching some "old" episodes from a few years ago... and there is some good stuff there. The episode where Milhouse moves to the city and Bart and Lisa become friends is a really great episode. Again, I say, I don't think Simpson fans would be able to let go and appreciate a good episode when they do come out. The old episodes are held SO high... anything less (or not from that era) is crap... without been given a chance.

Maes said:

Heh, wasn't "Married with children" as close to a live-action Simpsons as one could get? I loved that series.

Far from it. Malcom in the Middle was always a live action Simpsons, cause they stole enough stunts and jokes from it. Married with Children was just full of Zingers and sometimes Zany cartoonish antics.

alexz721 said:

Bullshit. I've liked a lot of recent episodes.

Obviously I'm not laying down a blanket statement... but, as a whole, a lot of hardcore Simpson fans are very judgmental.