Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bucket

id tech 5 walkthrough

http://gametrailers.com/player/23179.html

Carmack sure can make stuff sound interesting. Check out the dev tools they're using (which, if I heard correctly, will be shipping with the game). Also on that site are a few clips of him talking about something they're doing to make it easier to port games across platforms. He didn't really get into how that works-- I assume it's part of the engine or something-- but I'm intruiged.

"Something they're doing to make it easier to port games cross-platform"

And by that you mean... Writing the entire fucking engine from scratch to have cross platform capability with every major system out of the box? Yeah. Actually its pretty neat... I read an interview somewhere about it a few days ago.

That must be some fine coding. PC/MAC/PS3/Xbox360/Wii compatibility across the board? Neato.

I bet more then a few developers will want to license this engine on that major selling point alone.

POTGIESSER said:

That must be some fine coding. PC/MAC/PS3/Xbox360/Wii compatibility across the board? Neato.

I wanna see that game ported to a NES. THAT would be something awesome.

Now, seriously, the idea of multiplatform games sounds great. First time something like that is done?

It has but not in the universal sense as this engine sounds to be from a developmental point of view.

SDL could easily excuse the ease of Windows and Mac versions (doesn't Doom3/Quake4 use it?); as for consoles, it's a bit more impressive but still nothing entirely new.

MikeRS said:

SDL could easily excuse the ease of Windows and Mac versions (doesn't Doom3/Quake4 use it?); as for consoles, it's a bit more impressive but still nothing entirely new.

Wrong, this is the first high profile engine that doesn't demand a dedicated team downsizing the game to fit whatever video memory limitations the platform has.

I've been waiting for the day of all-platforms release being a common asset.

Yes I see the potential but its okay if you plan to make big expansive enviroments but for techbases and hellscapes in level format no.
I think the whole Rage thing is a renvisioning of Strife.
Tim Willits is now a part of id and he worked on strife.

Frankdude said:

I think the whole Rage thing is a renvisioning of Strife.
Tim Willits is now a part of id and he worked on strife.

Now a part of id? Hes been there since like 1995. o_O