Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

[Map] Return to Rozencratz

This is an Invasion map I'm working on for Sabbat Martyr II. I've only got one screenshot as of now, and its about 10%-ish complete I'd say. Anyways, more info and screenies to come sometime soon.

Looking great Mechadon that slope on the left with the bricks could you flip it so that the bricks are lined up nicely and lower/raise the surrounding ceiling by 8 units so that the bricks aren't cut off in the middle.

Keep it up it looks great you are very talented.

dutch devil said:

and lower/raise the surrounding ceiling by 8 units so that the bricks aren't cut off in the middle.

Is that cut-brick aspect really a problem? The STONE2 texture - that with dark flat rectangular aligned stone bricks - is by default cut off at the top and bottom.

@Mechadon: doesn't that plank need some beams? Otherwise it looks utterly strange how it does not fall into the sectors below (yeah, is it multistory?).

printz said:

Is that cut-brick aspect really a problem?

No not really but it looks alot nicer if you just raise or lower the ceiling next to the slope by 8 units.

And if it would be possible to take out NFBRIK37 load into winpaint and flip it by 90 degrees load it back in under an different name and slap it on there.

I don't know if he is allowed to use any custom textures it might be that he is limited to the textures and flats in the skulltag wad.

Mecha, you make me jealous like I am jealous of Torm667, YOU GUYS MAP LIKE IT IS IF YOU ARE A GOD! X_x Except, in Doom, god = teh Barons and a goaty Skyscraper called a CyberDemon.

Some interesting architecture, but there seems to colours that stand out too much ie. the one source of orange (the light). The random bits of lava seem rather tacked on to me aswell. There's also some poor triming of flats on the right of the screen.

Work on the colours abit, but the shapes of the room look good.

Homer said:

Some interesting architecture, but there seems to colours that stand out too much ie. the one source of orange (the light).

I actually like the contrast it creates. You can have only so many shades of brown\gray before it gets bland.

What exl said. I like the orange light and it doesn't look out of place because it goes with the lava.

I agree with Dutch about the bricks on the slope. They would look way better if the bricks were lined up IMHO.

Otherwise it looks pretty snazzy.

I hate both of you... (you and torm)

How the hell are people like me supposed to make a decent map if the standards keep gettin higher?!

Looks pretty good, but everyone seems to think that invasion maps must be symmetrical.

Steeveeo said:

I hate both of you... (you and torm)

How the hell are people like me supposed to make a decent map if the standards keep gettin higher?!

Easy, quit comparing your work to everyone elses. Besides if everyone made maps like Torm I'd quit playing Doom.

Oh wow, I didn't expect so many replies in such a short amount of time 0_o

@Dutch Devil: Yea, I can flip the texture (I think there's a flipped one in the RW...though if not I'll just make it myself). I can also raise/lower the ceiling so everything is nice and trim. It's not a problem...really, I think that will make it look a bit better :)

@printz: Wait...are you talking about the pillars that hold up the arched beams? Would you suggest that I use the same texture that the arch beams are using? I thought about that, but the small width of the individual beams in that texture looks kinda odd on the large beam. But I'll give it a go and see how I like it.

@Mithril_Demon: Hahaha...thanks, I guess. I don't consider my mapping to be godly or anything, I just really enjoy mapping, and I guess my maps reflect that :)

@Homer: Hmmm, well I was kinda hoping the orange bit would work with the lava in the room and the red gothic flats down the middle of the white walkway. I may try recoloring the middle light on the chandelier to white, and I also have a white version of that lava flat I made. I'll try that combination and see how I like it, but I'm probably going to add some more orange and red to the map to make the contrast look a little better. I don't follow you on the poor trimming though. Do you mean the black trimming around the wooden pillars?

@Doom Dude: Oh wait...yea you got it. That's what I was trying to go for with the orange light and the lava. I think if I add a bit more, it'll look better. We'll see though.

@Steeveeo: Heh, don't hate me cuz I'm booteful! Though I don't compare my maps to anyone else's when I can help it. If I did, I probably wouldn't map anymore. Though I'll take the 'I hate both of you' thing as a compliment :D.

@Tango: Thanks! This is only the starting room, which I wanted to look symmetrical because its supposed to resemble a sort of cathedral room of sorts. I can assure you though, the rest of the architecture (inside and outside) will by very much asymmetrical.

@Use3D: Heh, exactly.

Mechadon said:

@printz: Wait...are you talking about the pillars that hold up the arched beams? Would you suggest that I use the same texture that the arch beams are using? I thought about that, but the small width of the individual beams in that texture looks kinda odd on the large beam. But I'll give it a go and see how I like it.

Forget everything I said! I even wasted people's time, I'm stupid. I was referring to those 0-shaped holes in the floor. I didn't notice the glass keeping that TILE (not wooden plank...) aligned! Again, don't bother with something I didn't ask when you think I asked for that.

Nice shot: very interesting. :) I like the combination of colours you made by choosing textures and flats. As for those slopes, I agree with Dutch Devil: I think it would look better if you rotated the flat you are using on those slopes.

EDIT: typo.

Speaking of that misrotated brick flat, there's a problem: if it's rotated 90degrees, then it looks strange along with the UNsloped part. I'd replace that texture NOT with a 90d rotation, but with concrete (like FLAT5_4) or ash (FLOOR6_2).

Or make a square tiled texture to fit the brick ends.

Wait... why should it should look bad, if he kept the same ceiling flat of the unsloped beams as now. But if he changed it with the the same rotated flat he could use in the slopes, then it wouldn't look bad at all... on the contrary, it would look much better, in my opinion!

very nice looking. I like that chandelier. looks like a nice, dark, atmospheric dungeon-type area. I'd like to see more screens.