Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Butts

keyboard

im just wondering if anyone else plays doom on the keyboard, it seems like lots of people dont... like those guys who do crazy demos and stuff. if you dont use a keyboard what do you guys use?

Butts said:
like those guys who do crazy demos and stuff.

A few of those do, though; for example Ryback, who completed DOOM II on Nightmare mode from start to finish in one go using only the keyboard.

myk said:

A few of those do, though; for example Ryback, who completed DOOM II on Nightmare mode from start to finish in one go using only the keyboard.

Is there a demo for that? :o

I used to be for so long. It's a hard transition, but once you master the mouse the game is much easier and more fun too.

I've always used a mouse and keyboard combo for playing doom. After I played quake 2 and half-life, I couldn't stand playing games without mouselook, so doom fell to the way side. Once I found zdoom and it's mouselook support, I started playing it again. I can't stand not being able to look around and aim with the mouse, feels alot more natural.

i never really got the feel of the mouse... my guy would always move around whenever i looked and that doesnt work well for me... so keyboard it is.

Butts said:

my guy would always move around whenever i looked and that doesnt work well for me

You can disable vertical movement. With the original exe you can use a TSR such as novert, and with ports there is normally an option to disable it directly (if no other way then by setting vertical sensitivity to zero).

I use keyboard and mouse, and when I use mouse it's for freelook for railgun* pwnage on some levels.

*Skulltag has a built in Railgun, grenade launcher and BFG10k.

Normally, keyboard+mouse. Recently, a wiimote (if only to see what it what it was like).

I never use the mouse in vanilla Doom!
{EDIT: statement deprecated. See a later post.}

I needed it in KDiZD at the end. Guess what makes a wad/pk3 quality work.

Bank said:

Who doesn't use a keyboard?

Or who uses just the mouse?

emailking said:

I used to be for so long. It's a hard transition, but once you master the mouse the game is much easier and more fun too.

Kind of like how the game is virtually impossible without strafing?

doom2day said:

Or who uses just the mouse?

I have done it plenty when playing Vanilla.

I've used the keyboard for 10 straight years (1994-2004), but I switched to ASWD+mouse as soon as I noticed that I played non-Doom FPS with that config, and Doom still with the old keyboard config, which made no sense. So I switched. Standards, gentlemen, standards.

Seriously, I avoided the mouse in Doom for 10 years because

1. The keyboard worked just fine for me, no BIOS/typematic problems for me, ever.
  2. After a few frustrating tries with mouse + default controls, I was convinced that "using the mouse" involved having to use it for vertical movement to go forwards/backwards, which I regarded as utterly stupid and clumsy, so I didn't quite get why some people claimed that 'Doom was easier with a mouse'.
  3. I never thought of setting the ASWD+mouse config on my own, back in 1994. Perhaps it was too advanced a concept for 1994, although some people claim they came up with it on their own back then.

I liked MBF because it seperated vertical mouse sensitivity with horizontal - I HATED having the up down interference with my keyboard movements. When I configured it, I set vertical sensitivity to 0.

BTW, I use ESDF. That way A is free for jump and it pleases my touch typist side. I even put my hand there when I am using the mouse in windows... Too bad my accuracy isn't as great as I wish it was.

Maes said:
vertical movement to go forwards/backwards, which I regarded as utterly stupid and clumsy,

It can be clumsy, actually, especially when moving over thin ledges and stuff like that, although it can be useful for quick bursts of speed that you can't achieve with the keyboard (good for DeathMatch particularly) or to glide through 32 unit gaps (a recent speed running trick).

I couldn't imagine there would actually be some advantage to the forward movement....you mean that one can "leap" forward faster with the vertical mouse movement than having "always run" on (or shift constantly pressed, as I learned to do) and just pressing a direction/strafing key?

The acceleration using the mouse for that can make you reach maximum running speed much faster.

The Doomguy accelerates plenty fast for me, it has never occured to me in 10 years that damn it I was this guy had more v2! That's interesting though.

I use keyboard + mouse, like Maes I switched cause I played every other game that way and sometimes when I'd go from Doom to something else or vise versa it'd take me a bit to convert

ok i just changed from exclusively keyboard to mouselook and wsad movement. its much better, i pwned deus vult level 2 that way.

I keyboarder in Quake still even, only in particular trips down memory lane and/or laziness for freelook

I still to this day use the keyboard for Doom SP levels. When I play Co-op or DM I use the mouse and a crosshair. Of course playing games like CSS, BF2, Halo 1,CE,2 and the HL series I use the mouse :)

myk said:
The acceleration using the mouse for that can make you reach maximum running speed much faster.

I've always used vertical sensitivity. Since it was always there in doom2.exe I've grown used to it, and have used it without any problems in hundreds of speedruns. As far as control on thin ledges etc. is concerned (I see this popping up now and then), my opinion is that vertical sensitivity gives you *more precise* control for finer aspects of moving, if you can master it. The reason is that you have two inputs for forward and backward movement, working side by side. There' nothing "clumsy" about it.

EDIT: Spelling

Well, nobody said that the Doomguy should be controlled like a helicopter flight sim :-p