Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deeforce

Tell Me Something About Your Doom Levels

Hi,
this thread is for those, who just want to tell something about their own doom levels (with download-hyperlink to them please)… like me! I created 2 doom levels some time ago. They are for Doom 1 and I like them :-P ! “Das Labor” is an action level with 2140 enemies and “Run And Shoot” with 540 enemies. I like slauther festivals and I don’t like shooting around with the pistol, that is why I gave the player weapons from the early beginning. I also like runing through big rooms with many enemies and fighting with the rocket launcher. Furthermore, the detail is important for me too, so you see lights and shadows there.

What do you think about my doom levels? Tell me something about your doom levels!

I like to make levels which try to mix action with exploration.
I don't like it when a level is so straight-forward that it gets finished in under 20 minutes.
I like it when players are forced to track back and forth through several sectors, due to crossing tripwires which trigger more rooms to open up somewhere in the distance.

And yes, judging by what's been said above, I obviously prefer to make either Singleplayer or Cooperative Multiplayer maps instead of Deathmatch maps.

Here are the links to 2 WADs that I've publically released so far:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=12564
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=14869

A third WAD will be publically released from me later this year. And this one will be for Heretic under the Doomsday engine.

@KennyJC
I like them both! Your new level is more beautiful I think, but your old level is much longer, so it is as good as the new level.

Hey DarkJedi188,
I like straight-forward doom levels, because I don’t like searching for keys and stuff (there are some exceptions like “kdizd”) :-P and your doomlevels are ok I think.

The only thing I can tell you about my levels is that I highly dislike them, although I probably shouldn't

look for:

3 Steps of Hell - Doom 2
AnE1M3Level - Doom 1
Mega Phase - Doom 2
Baseball DM - Skulltag

all in the archives, and my newest level

IGiveUp.wad will be up soon, hopefully. I have it posted in my own topic about it.

I like my later work alot better than the couple of early zdoom maps I made before that I think its because they keep more of the doom feeling.

I'm spending alot less time in detailing now in my early days it was more like detail over anything else, Total Control, Altar of Evil, and Titan-426 are those maps were I'm not too proud of anymore.

All made when I was just an detail whore I can't play those maps anymore there is detail everywhere which imo completely distracts you from anything else you should be doing.

I have bin mapping for not so long, i have only released 5 wads. My first wad sucked as i was merely learning the basics of the editor when making it, i have only made one deathmach level as of now and i am pretty proud of it. I try to put good gameplay into my maps instead of insane detail and that is way i now prefer to map
in vanilla format.

For a list of my wads see this:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?search=1&field=author&word=hardcore_gamer&sort=time&order=asc&page=1

I prefer to make "mods" over maps. My work is still unreleased (except for a few scripts for projects of little importance and ill repute). I like to make new weapons, especially more complex, reloading ones...

EDIT: my very first reloading weapon, i made it using and modifying graphics from the weapons resource wad.

http://www.mediafire.com/?3rmtjrnx1hz

Stealthy Ivan said:

Just look up Stealthy Ivan under authors... You tell me what you think... :)

I played your wad called the Marsbase. It is dated 02/28/04 so it probably does not represent your skills as a mapper by now but still.

I found the wad fun right until the point where i was in that crate maze, i don't like crate mazes and it took me some time to find the crate that got me to the switch. I liked the first half of the map but not the second one.

@MegaZzZeux
„3 Steps of Hell” looks a bit simple, but “Mega Phase” is my favorite old Doom level, because it looks good and plays well. “I Give Up On Trying to Map 1” is your best map, that you have ever created!

@dutch devil
I always was a fan of your Doom levels. The detail was very important for you and that’s good. My favorite level is “Altar Of Evil”, because of the atmosphere!

@hardcore_gamer
”A New Nightmare” is your best work, because it makes fun to play this and the detail is good too, besides the texture alignments. There are good levels in this wad.

@Janitor
Please upload your shotgun mod to the “idgames-archives", it is legendary!

@Stealthy Ivan
I like “therion.zip” and “Project666” very much, because the levels are nice to play and look very great. Well done!

I used to devote a lot of my time making tons of below average to average ZDoom maps with mostly linear, less than exciting gameplay. Those maps ended up in some megawad that I never bothered to finish, mostly because it sucked and I hated working on it. Woah.

I'm 'working' (if you can honestly call it that) on one last Doom 2 map, which you can see here. I've tried to make this into a map that isn't complete garbage, but there's a pretty good chance I'll fail, just like with every other map I've made. Yay! :D Oh yeah, and it's a Boom map. I kinda figured I'd quit Doom mapping by leaving people with at least one serious attempt at mapping that isn't for ZDoom.

Deeforce said:

I always was a fan of your Doom levels.

Was? so not anymore :p detail "was" very important for me its very time consuming cramming every room full of detail now I like to put more efort into and interesting layout and more effort into gameplay.

Altar of Evil didn't had any skill levels and I didn't spend an whole lot of effort into gameplay I guess I got sick and tired of working on the damn thing and rushed the gameplay part too much.I haven't played that map anymore since its release horrible map if you ask me, making the map was one big frustration I always struggle with zdoom mapping.

My author name is JK, and there is an old wad I uploaded under GGG which I don't recommend.
(apparently my author name is too short for a search, so you can search shelldon under email)

@EANB
I like this level. It’s hard, but nice and has a good appearance too.

@AgentSpork
I think „Simplicity - Because Complexity Sucks “ is your best work and I will play the overhauled version very soon…

@dutch devil
I still think your new doom levels are funny too and I especially wait for your Doom levels of the project “A Megawad for 2006 (1monster)”. Do you like your levels there?

@GGG
„Holy Hell“ is a nice fun-wad, but I can’t beat it without using “I’m too young too die” and the level “Impossible: A New Reality” is very well designed. Good job!

Out of shameless self-promoting: Hellcore (muhahaha)
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=14651

Maps 2,3 & 5-11 were mine. I love mammoth layouts and exploration, tedious detail, and quiet monsterless intervals followed by insane near impossible monster hordes. However, a lot of people don't, lol.

I can't remember anything of yours I've played, I've played so many wads they've sorta just melded into one big blury memory of marble2 and shotguns.

Deeforce said:

I still think your new doom levels are funny too and I especially wait for your Doom levels of the project “A Megawad for 2006 (1monster)”. Do you like your levels there?

I don't make funny maps I'm not into joke wads :p no I don't really like them especially that chaingunner map the design and textures are two of the things that annoy me and it has too much detail and not enough outside areas.

My wolfenstein map is better its non linear classic wolfenstein layout but with more detail some traps and an couple of creative secrets its an short but fun map I think.

dutch devil said:

I don't make funny maps I'm not into joke wads :p

I think he meant "entertaining" or "enjoyable" with the word "funny".

AgentSpork said:

I used to ... making tons of below average... ZDoom maps

They were not below average. I liked them. Suspended in Dusk does make quiet an antithesis to your simplicity though... Huge overdetailed and overcomplicated levels for doom2.exe.

Simplicity had a wonderful feel to it. Don't slap yourself for that.

Deeforce said:

@Janitor
Please upload your shotgun mod to the “idgames-archives", it is legendary!

Meh, this has been done before (most notably in immoral conduct for EDGE) this is a pretty unoriginal work, but now i know how to make reloading weapons for future reference... and that graphic is property of 3drealms, because its from the game duke3d, so i dont think i can legally put it in idgames...

I'm still making levels to this day, but there are two that I'm especially proud of:

1. The Dead Zone: This map was made for Doom 2 when I got it. It's vaguely similar to the map in Episode 1, Level 1, except it's an outdoor environment, and I changed the exe a bit. First off, I changed the behavior of the enemies so that if one enemy is attacking me and then another enemy attacks me, the first enemy that attacked me will go on to attack the enemy who wished to join in. Also, I modified the music so it could play MIDI files of some death metal.

2. Witchfynde: The Massacre
This was my first Doom WAD. I started out with something simple like Episode 2, Level 6 from Doom as a base, but not exactly a rendition of that level. I kept the same textures mapped out, but I wanted to add some slope and a bridge, but the Doom engine couldn't support it at that time, so when I got a hold of some of the ports, I added some slope and the bridge, as well as editing the exe- by saying "Take that, beeyatch" whenever I killed a regular enemy (Zombie trooper, Imp, Shotgun trooper etc.) and saying "You're as tough as ant baking under a magnifying glass" after killing a relatively stronger enemy (Demon, Hell Knight etc.)

Those two WADs are my pride and joy. Oh, I forgot to mention that these WADs are awesome for multiplayer! Check for "Deathscythe Hell" on ZDaemon or Doom Legacy.

@Deathscythe_Hell
Please give us a download link to your levels or tell us how to get them, because I searched around in the idgames data base, but couldn’t find it.

Well the first four maps I ever made are up on idgames. They are all part of the Noob Project series, which to tell the truth I am not very proud of, ESPECIALLY Noob Project 1 which is the first level I ever made using Doom Builder. (Although I may continue the series in the future.)

Here they are.

WIP of the unfinished Noob Project 5.

I started and finished a level the the Heretic community chest. If the project dies, I will probably repolish and use the map in a future project.

There are screens of my heretic map in this page.

I started and finished a level for Community Chest 3. Its map 31, be sure to check it out when cc3 is finished. (I no longer have nazis in the map in case you wonder from the screens, also the areas have been touched up upon since I took the shots.)

Screens in two differant posts of this page.

A Sabbat Matyre 2 map. Not yet complete.
Two screenies here.

I also work for the Megaman X doom project (not dead!), and have started my own (struggling) community jokewad. I also created map 16 for the 2 week megawad project.

The tech-base theme is my favorite theme of all, and I always make sure to put gameplay before detail.

EDIT: Url mistake.

I always make levels where you start outside, then have to enter a temple, and end up leaving the temple back to the outside.