Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

My copy of Halo2 vista works on xp for some reason.

My friend has a copy of halo 2 vista and i asked him if i could borrow it. He said yes and i started to install the game once i had a chance to do so. While installing i had a look at the retail box, a stabbing feeling came to my guts when i saw that the game was a vista only. But
to my great suprise the game works fine even though i am using xp. I don't know if it was something i did, but the game seems to run just fine. Has this happened to anyone else?

Bucket said:

Nope, sorry. You obviously have haXXing skills you're not aware of.

I did'n do anything.

EDIT: And if i had i would probably not be posting about it.

You've just torn Microsoft's "Games for Windows" warhorse to shreds.

Maes said:

You've just torn Microsoft's "Games for Windows" warhorse to shreds.

Like it wasn't hard to do that in the first fuggin' place. just wait until the WINE devs make a DX10 doohickey for us.

Maybe your copy of the game wasn't aware of that little fact. It happens all the time. I can wash the dishes in my toaster, only because it isn't aware of the fact that a toaster can't wash dishes.

Alboroto said:

I can wash the dishes in my toaster, only because it isn't aware of the fact that a toaster can't wash dishes.

Damn! And i had to ruin a hole toaster to find out :(

Halo 2 and Shadow Run will work on xp. They are a form of DX9 games. Until they make it strictly DX10, it should work on xp.

But they are supposedly "NEW and ENHANCED!" and "TAKING GAMEPLAY TO NEW LEVELS WITH THE UNIQUE CAPABILITIES OF DX10"!!!

Well, I guess they are as "NEW and ENHANCED!" as mac53's resized and recolored Doom 2 sprites ;-)

Larzuk said:
Halo 2 and Shadow Run will work on xp. They are a form of DX9 games. Until they make it strictly DX10, it should work on xp.

I think you're confusing Vista-only with DX10. Everybody knows these 2 could run on XP w/DX9 machines, but Microsoft specifically released them with "Vista-only" and that they use the Games for Windows Live thing that comes with Vista.

On a related note my copy of Doom3 works on my 286 with Windows 2.4
OMFG H4XX!!!

OK. Now tell. How did you make it work for Windows 2.x on a 286? I can't install Doom3 on my Windows 98.

It's obvious, he used a Pentium 4 emulator running on Windows 2.4, installed Windows 98 under the emulator, then Doom 3, and used a well-known hack to get it to run. Oh did I mention he used a virtual memory that was orders of magnitude greater than his RAM? He burned out 10 2 GB hard disks in order to achieve perfect emulation of a 1 GB Windows 98 PC with a 256 MB Video card!

And all that, at a speed that's hmm...only 6 orders of magnitude smaller than the indended one.

@printz: how/when did you get that title?

printz said:

OK. Now tell. How did you make it work for Windows 2.x on a 286? I can't install Doom3 on my Windows 98.

'Twas a joke, my friend. As evidenced by the blatant leetspeak.
Although with suspension of disbelief, Maes makes some sense, kind of...

yomoneyboat said:

Although with suspension of disbelief, Maes makes some sense, kind of...

I know, I sometimes scare myself. Only the 1337est of the 1337est (or those without *any* life) would attempt something like that. It's just like retrogaming, only backwards.

Oh, and did I mention running Resistance on my PS1?
Explain THAT, sir Maes.

yomoneyboat said:

Oh, and did I mention running Resistance on my PS1?
Explain THAT, sir Maes.

You somehow forced or "persuaded" a geeky electronics friend of yours to modify your PS1 so that it can use a PS3 emulator.

How? Very simple!

The emulator code and the DVD/Blu-ray drive unit is stored in a normal PC, while the PS1's boot rom and CD drive circuitry has been modified to interface with a "virtual drive" on the PC. You forced a computer nerd friend of yours to write the code to do that (both on the PC and PS1), promising him a blind date "to get finally laid" and/or "get a piece of ass", but I'm digressing.

This way, the PS1 can read the PS3 discs and use the external storage as virtual memory to make up for just the 2 MB of RAM the PSX has. All actual emulation is done on the PS1, frame by frame, using a software renderer. This allows you to run Resistance: Fall of Man ONLY 7 orders of magnitude slower than the real thing. And without going insane.

In fact, you liked this contraption so much, that you "arranged" for your computer nerd friend to "blind date" your geeky electronics friend. They thoroughly enjoyed it. Any questions?

Alboroto said:

The internet, my friend, is full of dumb people...

This thread is full of dumb people even when compared to the internets general population.

TheDarkArchon said:

This thread is full of dumb people even when compared to the internets general population.

OH NOES I FAIL AT TEH INTARNETS.

TheDarkArchon said:

What exactly is dumber in this thread? Most of it is curiosities and funny replies. Is there any act of idiocy here? I really don't detect it.

printz said:

What exactly is dumber in this thread? Most of it is curiosities and funny replies. Is there any act of idiocy here? I really don't detect it.

What would this suggest exactly?

(answer: that you're dumb.)

printz said:

Printz speaks wisely. His idiocy detector is functioning, and it detects NOTHING!

Joe said:

y?

(answer: that you're dumb.)

OK, after all that tantrum that would overcome me for reading that statement (w/e), why am I dumb?

Also, printz with lowercase p.

printz said:

OK, after all that tantrum that would overcome me for reading that statement (w/e), why am I dumb?

Because you are too dumb to see the dumb.

Also apparently too dumb to see you're too dumb to see the dumb.

Considering alone the fact that a 286 would have to emulate the 387 floating point co-proc in software would make emulating a Pentium 4 on it a special sort of slow :P That's not even talking about having to emulate the functionality of a video card, which use parallel processing and other tricks that make them so fast.

The speed of any program running in such an emulator would probably be better measured in frames per hour rather than frames per second.