Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Your most HATED monster?

I bet that very few people enjoy all of the enemy's from Doom and Doom2.
So what monster do you HATE the most and for what reason?

I for one HATE the lost souls for being a real pain in the neck if nothing else. The only monster i hate even more is the pain elemental
for creating even more of those screaming flaming hamburgers. I feel like somebody stabs my in my guts evry time i see one!

And what monster kills you the most often. For my it is a former human sergant(blasted shotguns!) or........LOST SOULS ARRRGGHHHHHHH!!!!!

yomoneyboat said:

Arch-Vile.
'Nuff said.

Arc-viles are not that bad unless the mapper using them is crappy and puts them into large open areas with little ammo and no places to take cover......and that happens to many times!

Lost Souls, just because they're inconvienient to kill. They're small, sometimes fast, targets, and I think they take too much ammo to destroy.

People always be hatin' on my imps. Cuz they're black.

Me? I hate on white imps. Fucking wiggers.

the things that fire homing rockets...

They're so fast and skinny that they're hard to kill from a distance and even close up

Whatever Plutonia pops up in my welcome mat. I hate most Doom 2 monsters and feel relieved when playing a Doom 1 megawad.

I can't say I hate the most specifically one from the gear. They're very well balanced. I admit I don't like fighting Archviles.

I used to hate Imps when playing Doom 1, on skill 1. They were everywhere and were persistent. I often had trouble killing one in one shot, and their fireballs had to be minded while being slow.

Since this thread title doesn't point only to Doom or Doom 2, neither does its original post, I'll also write about Heretic, Hexen and Strife.

In Heretic monsters are even better balanced than in Doom 2. Its episodes 4 and 5 grouped the monsters in two factions too, along with the commoners. Maybe I'm annoyed by those spamming Ophidians.

In Hexen the Raven guys screwed it up, or didn't allocate enough time setting up a worthy resistance scheme. I only went as far as fourth hub's beginning, never met Korax, but met Flying Torsos and Evil Ashes in PWADs. The monsters aren't very entertaining. There are well-known exceptions (dragons and zap-shields), but most of them are slow as hell bashers or fast annoying fairies. Nothing like some Barons or Cacodemons... And the most I hate the Ettins because they regularly respawn one-by-one, sneaking on Player's back.

In Strife I hated Harris. The mechas, OTOH, were powerful. I was letdown by the bosses. They were powerful enough for bosses, but due to game mechanics, required no strategy at all.

@yomoneyboat: If you hate Arch-viles, why did you have an A-v avatar before?

@Coopersville: Lost Souls can be a threat if the player has only shotguns.

Coopersville said:

Lost Souls, just because they're inconvienient to kill. They're small, sometimes fast, targets, and I think they take too much ammo to destroy.

Brings back bad memories of Plutonia MAP21.

printz said:

Since this thread title doesn't point only to Doom or Doom 2, neither does its original post, I'll also write about Heretic.

I did'n play Heretic, only the shareware of it. I never really bothered to play more than just a few levels though. I liked the crossbow as it was Heretics version of the Doom shotgun we all know and love. The goblin thingy's were fun to and s were the hairy brutes that exploded when they died. I did'n like much else about the game though.

printz said:

no......lost souls are ALWAYS HARMFUL NO MATTER WHAT!!!

I WAS YOUNG! I DIDN'T KNOOOOOW!
edit: referring to printz. damn, i gotta type faster.

Lost souls. They seem to have a rocket-seeking attachment sown into their fabrics, meaning You launch one at a high level monster, and out of nowhere *SLAM* the lost sould hits the rocket and detonates it in your face. Gibbage Ensues.

Other than them, I've developped a dislike for Barons. Not sure why, but I always seem to sigh and scream "oh GOD" when ever one pops up. No clue why, I'm just sick of them.

As for Archviles, they don't pose the same threats they used to. Now I'm used to fighting them, divig in and out of cover with the SSG at close range is actually quite fun.

printz said:

Somehow, I find it funnier to take them down with the Rocket Launcher. But then it may be just me.

hardcore_gamer said:

Arc-viles are not that bad unless the mapper using them is crappy and puts them into large open areas with little ammo and no places to take cover......and that happens to many times!

So what you're saying is a good mapper makes the map easy to beat?

Haha, I hear what Icarus is saying about the lost souls. Ouch. They love to get in the way. I really do not mind imps, in fact I think it's funny in a large enough space and they're on the other side to completely ignore them while I deal with monsters on the near side. By the time I get done killing them and the first fireball hasn't reach me yet, it's game on.
About Arch-Viles... one thing that makes you feel badass is when you fight one out in the open with just your SSG and take no damage by being able to time your blasts to make it flinch just before it completes an attack.

Back to question, I'd have to say my least favorite monster is indeed the lost soul. I had to think real hard about it, and wanted to be different, but it's really the only monster that really annoys me. That and every now and then when you're sawing a pinkie to death and it gets in a bite before u kill it. If you're paying enough attention you can prevent this but sometimes breezing through you slack off a bit.

Monster that most often kills me? Chaingunners, alot of times they're well hidden and if you're playing on UV by the time you realize what's happening and turn around ur ribbons.

Arch-Viles, Revenants, Pain Elementals, and Chaingunners.

For me, Pain Elementals can be annoying if you let them spit LS enough. I probably freak out more when I see 4 Pain Elementals coming after me than 1 Arch-Vile.

The revenant scream still can make me jump if I don't expect them...plus having 20 homing rockets jumble into one giant rocket is definitely no good. lol

I absolutely hate Chaingunners as well. Especially when the mapper is devious and puts them in spots where they can snipe you.

I don't often blow my self up with the rocket launcher when lost souls attack as i am aware of the threat and kill them with other weapons first. As for chainguners i only hate them when you are walking in a big
hallow room and then BAM! A sillion Changuners teleport all aroung my and i try to run out of the room like the little p..sy i am only to get blasted into 12 halfs!

A chainguner to far away to be killed right away is not so fun ether!

Arch-Viles, Revenants, Pain Elementals, and Chaingunners.

..all doom2 monsters, all damn annoying.

Lost souls. Small, annoying, and not even that fun to kill. At least the PE explodes somewhat nicely and makes a big wide target.

Icarus said:

Other than them, I've developped a dislike for Barons. Not sure why, but I always seem to sigh and scream "oh GOD" when ever one pops up. No clue why, I'm just sick of them.

They aren't a very dangerous monster (slow and with an easily dodged attack), yet require a lot of time and ammo to kill. If they are used poorly cutting them down becomes a chore.

printz said:

You see, I usually use the (Super) Shotgun to fight them, since the SSG is a one-hit, and the shotgun mostly freezes them in place if you shoot them during their attack.

exp(x) said:

Wasn't this already a thread?

Maybe, and I know "Top 10 Worst WAD Cliches" branched off to that at one point.

I hate:

Chaingunners: They shoot non-stop, one of the most annoying HIT-SCANNERS ON, and hate the surprise attacks when the editor makes 5 appear behind you and as soon as you turn, your dead.

Mastermind: Well, less of a nuisance Hit-Scan none the less, but seeing 3-7 is just damn annoying, they will act like the chaingunners in some prefencial ways, and hitscan is more...

Cyber Demon: Sure, it's fun to use as a meatshield in cases of 4-10 barons, but like the Mastermind, seing more then 3-5 of them is too annoying and dodgin is low...

Like All who said about the Archvile in open areas and no cover.

Barons. They are easy to kill, but most of the time it takes too much time to do so. Especially if the mapper is being a dick and hasn't given a ssg or rocket launcher yet. About in every second map ever done the barons could be replaced by hell knights and the map would play a lot better.

Chaingunners are a close second.

I'd say revenants, mainly because they're often used in large groups. They're the only enemie besides the Cyber Demon and Spider Mastermind that I'll use the BFG on. They're extremely deadly at both close and long range, and when you get 10 of them in your face it's very hard to kill them. They get to close, they smack you around like a bitch, at long range you have to worry about which one is firing a seeking rocket or a faster normal one and try to dodge accordingly. They're fun to fight one on one, or up to three on one, but anymore than that and it gets downright annoying. Arch-viles can be annoying, but usually I can take them down without a hit, thanks to the fact that a double barrel shotgun blast usually makes them flinch and stop their firing animation. My favorite enemies to fight are probably barons of hell, especially with a berserk pack. Oh, and I also hate chaingunners at long distance, especially when there's a bunch of them, and they're put in little alcoves.

Non-Fanatic_Doom_Fan said:

So what you're saying is a good mapper makes the map easy to beat?

No, but a good mapper knows how not to use specific monsters. Multiple Arch-Viles in an open area without sufficient cover are not beatable without a shitload of dumb luck and any map showing such areas fails by default.

Another monster that is easily abused is the Revenant. Here mostly the same applies: You need some obstacles to block the projectiles or you will end up with more opposition than you can handle, depending on the weapons you own.

That said, my least favorite monster is the Pain Elemental, especially if used in groups. The Lost Souls it spits out tend to obstruct any clear shooting path so I often end up wasting far too many ammo on them.

i hated doom2 for years, not because of the, mostly, uninteresting maps, but because of the annoying demons.
now, i fucking love every single doom monster ever...except for the pain elemental.
my next least favorite is the arachnotron.

every single other demon = love.

lost souls by themselves = love.
but those fucking pain elementals are as bad as the cliffracers in morrowind.

Icon of Sin for being a simple boring wall
Chainguners for annoy the shit out of me.

About Lost Souls, I don't really see the problem with them, they cause little damage, and can be blasted easy (in DOOM you never face too much of them without having shit loads of ammo, and in DOOM II you have the SSG to take them down).

The manacubi can be fun to kill, but not if they are in a narrow hallway
with no way to take cover. If you find your self in that kind of combat.....your toast!

Well unless you have a BFG or a rocket launcher.