Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Non-Fanatic_Doom_Fan

Think D3 could've made a better movie than the Doom movie?

When the game first released I saw people complaining about all kinds of things about the game. One of them was lack of story (like the original games had alot of background story). Really there's a ton of story in it. You just have to read the fucking PDAs. Judging by the bitches, gripes, and complaints I've read over the past few years, I'd have to say that people who hate the game hate it because it wasn't EXACTLY what they expected. They jumped in, rushed through the game, snap-judging everything.
When I first played it, I crawled through the game, read every piece of information I could find. You pick up little bits and pieces of story as you go along. And the story actually evolves better than alot of movies. In the beginning you know little more than it's a scientific experiment gone wrong. Later you learn more about what they were actually doing down there, inter-dimensional travel. As you get into the Delta Labs part of the game you have a pretty good idea that they accidentily opened a Portal into Hell but there's an underlying piece of the puzzle: the artifact dig, which is merely mentioned but you know it's got to be connected to the story. Later you find out how, and after you return from Hell and you get into the site you really start to learn alot, especially in that first level in the maintenence area. And those ruins levels are some of the creepiest shit I've ever seen.

ALLS I'm sayin is, they could've made that into a great movie.

Thread title says:
Think D3 could've made a better movie than the Doom movie?

Of course it would have been a better film. But the Doom film guys wanted to feel original, not like making a game-demo. Fear of everything, lack of concentration, inconfidence were the demons that spawned the Doom movie flop.

It's 100% sure that Doom 3 is better than the Doom film, as storylines go. IMO, Doom would be better as a B film, Right??? Not a Hollywood template for the masses who likely forgot what Doom is anyway.

Make a Doom film for Doom fanatics. Call it Doom 2, even though the staff and cast would be completely different.

printz said:

IMO, Doom would be better as a B film, Right??? Not a Hollywood template for the masses who likely forgot what Doom is anyway.

Agreed, Doom would've been great in that strangely arousing ambient of a gruesomely bad B-movie.

It would of done fine as a hollywood movie if the creators didn't fuck it up so much with storyline and how it played out.

B-movies a no go. Seriously, you know how much attention they get? Snakes on a Train, Transmorphers, you think anyone is going to watch that crap?

printz said:

Make a Doom film for Doom fanatics

Besides, last I knew (mfking)Snakes on a (mfking)Plane was a box office smash (nevermind, wikied it, it was a box office dud). Besides, if it turned out good in any way, it could become a cult classic, much like Donnie Darko or Connnan the Barbarian.

And last, going back on topic, Doom3's storyline would've made a great EvilDead meets Aliens kinda thing, with the enntry to hell being presented like Ripley's entry to the Queen alien's layer.

Why couldn't it have just made a good Doom movie? I love how people like to compare everything, like parts of the game such and such a thing was stolen from here. Sci-fi is so old, there's bound to be things that look like you've seen them before. Most of the time it's coincidence. I'll allow there are some examples where it's almost undeniable... such as the original Cacodemon being taken from some other monster I saw a screenshot from, that's a pretty obvious one.

BACK on topic, you don't think the story they wrote for D3 is Doomish? The original story was very short and not detailed at all. If you expanded on it, it could've come up similar to what they wrote for D3... that's how I see it anyway.

I've seen a few interviews with directors that have done video game movies. They have all come up with the same conclusion. The studio doesn't want to make an exact replica of a game, because if people know what will happen, why watch it? They want to expand on what already exists.

I don't like fat models because I'm not attracted to fat women, no matter what they're wearing. If someone made a Doom movie that's actually based on the games, I wouldn't care where it was made Hollywood or Fucksville Studios. That's provided Fucksville could get the same special effects people etc. It would be no good if it was cartoon looking.

geo said:

I've seen a few interviews with directors that have done video game movies. They have all come up with the same conclusion. The studio doesn't want to make an exact replica of a game, because if people know what will happen, why watch it? They want to expand on what already exists.

Then why didn't they?

With Doom they expanded somewhat like Doom III. With Doom 3, the tablets saw a people combatting the alien / hellians. In Doom, it was the same, only it revealed that the aliens became the hellians. Which I suppose with the original Doom, zombies were made when they returned from the portals. So they start as zombies then become imps, then barons of hell.

I don't know I didn't write the movie of Doom. I am just going for ideas on how they expanded.

With Silent Hill, they made a prequil to the games it seemed like to me. That expands.

Thing is they didn't expand it, they dumbed it down and removed from the formula and made another generic crap action.

To think... Warner Bros bought the rights and they have dozens of staff writers that they were told, "We're making a DOOM movie, come up with your treatments (outlines)." Then about 32 writers submitted their outlines, and out of all of them, that is the one that got a green light go.

There are usually random websites that have drafts of scripts along with treatments and full screenplays of those that failed. Yes there can be worse screenplays than what made it to the big screen. :-) I remember reading some of the failed screenplays for Alien vs Predator and Aliens 3 that had 20 queen aliens.

Really the Doom movie was a decent action/sci-fi... it just shouldn't have been titled Doom. Hopefully down the road they make another one to correct their mistakes. It wouldn't be the first time a movie has been made twice. And yeah in Doom 3 they added the Martian civilization and they moved the setting to Mars instead of it's 2 moons, BUT... they kept the core elements, the UAC, the teleportation experiments, Hell, demons, all the GOOD stuff.