Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Butts

favorite level styles

whats your favorite level styles? including theme and type of gameplay.

i personally have found that as far as theme goes, hellish/rocky is my favorite, with large open areas, chaotic combat with thousands of monsters as favorite gameplay. although i do enjoy more technical and longer levels that are cramped and that bring you back to certain areas of the map numerous times, and less monsters but devious traps and placement.

hmm...lets see...

I say futuristic war ravaged cityscapes are mine. Either that or space levels.

Hellish/Grotesque Mix

Kinda like Mt. Erebus or Ghost Town in Plutonia. Levels where you go through guts and gross stuff are great!

I want to see a level that is like A Seperate Piece from Blood. Now that is an awesome level.

The gameplay for me would be lots of Demons. Kinda like Community Chest level 29: Citadel at the edge of Eternity. Alien Vendetta and Eternal Doom for their giant detailed levels and hard gameplay as well. Town levels are cool too.

I dislike Wads like Hell Revealed where its just a crappy level with tons of the same enemy over and over. Small levels like Scythe, 1024, Simplicity or some levels in HR2 I dislike as well.

Visually, I like tan and the second last episode of Scythe 2. Also some gothic.

In gameplay, something with a nice flow and progression and, most importantly, a degree of freedom. Oh and it needs to be challenging, in a way or an other. Those things aside it can be pretty much anything.

I like large serious sci-fi space colonies slowly devolving into evil diseased poisoned hell.

I'm hardly interested in Earth-like ancient usually Mesoamerican or modern but not always usage of Doom2 typical brown brick textures.

I don't like levels with nondescript texture palettes.

The theme isn't very important (as long as it's consistent), but the gameplay is. I like smallish or medium-sized maps with lots of ammo for lots of monsters, preferrably with some interesting or unique fights. They don't at all need to be extremely difficult. A clever progression is a big plus, but isn't as important as the fights.

I like levels based on the author's house (just kidding, my god, I hate those). Actually, I enjoy levels like MAP28 (the Spirit World), although I'm not sure what style it is.

E4 ish with bricks, metal and wood. Firm gameplay is a plus but it must be a fair fight not thousands of monsters with little ammo or health.

I don't care about theme or style as long as it looks good and plays well.

yomoneyboat said:

although I'm not sure what style it {Spirit World} is.

Hellish Inferno.

Tech hell or Gothic Hell.
Tech hell being E2/Tnt-esque, Gothic being E4.

I quite like the ravaged cityscape style though. Thats always fun.

And oh, Quake II. That has the Techy feel, too.

I don't know what style it is, I'll describe it "as a temple town influenced by the chasm" well something in Hotash Slay(map 28,Stphrz from the ndcp iwad) reminds me of the chasm. That map was a delight because it has a style which isn't overused.

There was one level in Evilution that I really liked. There was some big mountain and the style was blood- red sky that looked like you were in hell. Also open- ground space levels are close to my heart.
Last, but not least, somehow the "mountain" schene (Doom2, lvl 12?) remembers me from old times when I was really young.

Abandoned Buildings, Bombed Out cities, War Ravaged Cityscapes, Military Bases, and Space-tech-themed levels (base-type).

Good thread. I have to say I like lots of different styles. I haven't really run into anything that I hate. I do hate certain types of gameplay. Obviously amatuerish maps. But really what I hate are maps that are overly difficult. I don't like stuff that's so hard you have to play it over and over and over to beat it. To me that gets boring, that's one reason I never completed the iwads on Nightmare. I have played the iwads alot, but not enough where I have every little detail and monster placement memorized, so they still hold some fun for me. If I have to play a level from start to 1/8th way, then killed get a little past there, then again it gets boring real fast. I like difficult maps but difficult in a way that if you're a good player you can get through it the first or second time.

I have to say I love maps that contain large fights, like huge open field war looking scenes where there's fucking projectiles EVERYWHERE. And all different types of monsters so lots of infighting ends up taking place, but still leaves plenty of monsters you have to kill on your own. It's fucking chaos. I also am a big fan of levels like Plutonia 29. Very interesting, not too repetitive cause you keep going to different buildings and it's very non-linear. I do dig underground levels too, like some of the later stuff in TNT.

DoomLord said:

There was one level in Evilution that I really liked. There was some big mountain and the style was blood- red sky that looked like you were in hell. Also open- ground space levels are close to my heart.
Last, but not least, somehow the "mountain" schene (Doom2, lvl 12?) remembers me from old times when I was really young.

That was probably Mt. Pain. Just a guess! I loved that lvl!

I like the industrial complex theme, like The Crusher. Gameplaywise, if it's challenging, I'm already happy. My preference is medium-sized rooms with a couple of open areas.