tycp_08

Deathmatch Map Pack

How was the Levels>  

22 members have voted

1. 1. How was the Levels>

• It Fucking Sucks
    • It\'s Ok...
    • It\'s Good

These are just a bunch of open square rooms/arenas with a bunch of platforms scattered around.

notice that it is a DEATHMATCH wad, not a Single Player wad. It was made for free-for-alls on Skulltag.

tycp_08 said:

notice that it is a DEATHMATCH wad, not a Single Player wad. It was made for free-for-alls on Skulltag.

Yes, but even DM maps should be nice to look at, and have good sniping and hiding places. This is a laughable failure.

well that's good, maybe I wasn't trying to make several levels with sniping or hiding places, this was for all-out fights; all weapons in the middle; that makes for some good playing if you have a lot of poeple. (I wouldn't personaly know this, I tried it with bots and it was challenging)

but still, you have to admit that is harsh, there are better ways to say not to make a deathmatch wad, don't you think?

tycp_08 said:

but still, you have to admit that is harsh, there are better ways to say not to make a deathmatch wad, don't you think?

Yes, but not without gratuitous use of expletives.

tycp_08 said:

you guys here really are fucking assholes, you know it?

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the forum...

I hate to be harsh but yes, these maps are dogshit.

Now, don't get discouraged because your main man Ralphis (King Ralphis, Overlord of UD and the internet, to you) is here to help you out! Our hatred of your maps should only fuel your obsession to prove us wrong!

First, let's step back and take a look at the fundamentals of doom deathmatch and its history. Look at the greatest deathmatch maps of all time that are played across odamex, skulltag, and zdaemon servers. What do most of them have in common? At least a fairly decent layout.

What none of these maps have are big empty rooms with a nothing to stand on.

I hate to pimp one of my own products, but since you're mapping for Skulltag, I would suggest taking a look at some of the architecture in UDM2/3 as quite a few experienced deathmatch mappers worked on it and the maps are still played daily around that area as I understand. Another few great references are Lazarus and most maps by Toke including but not limited to TokeDM, Vex, moo1m, and moo2d.

Study these layouts for winning formulas to what makes successful deathmatch maps. Sure your maps might be fun for 30 seconds on a server, but you want to build something with lasting power and the only way to achieve that is by crafting a wad with DEPTH!

Just remember, depth in a DM map is the key to making it a decent map. Allow for multiple strategies and let the players go wild.

This has been your friendly neighborhood Ralphis with DM Mapping Tips!

Here's an idea, take the wad and make it to what you think it should be and put it here, so I know what it should've looked like.

tycp_08 said:

Here's an idea, take the wad and make it to what you think it should be and put it here, so I know what it should've looked like.

Why don't you go to /idgames and see what a good DM map looks like. Then (gasp!) maybe YOU could fix it!

Maybe you should do it for me, or quit being a little fucktard about this whole deal. I heard you the first time about how bad this is, don't rub it in.

tycp_08 said:

Maybe you should do it for me

Where the fuck do you get off on telling other people to fix YOUR shitwads?

tycp_08 said:

hey, just looked at 'em...and u guys r right the levels r sh*t...there needs to be actual rooms! not just one open square u need hallways, rooms, traps and stuff not this crap

...and i'm quoting it cause i got some deathmatch levels i'd load up but i dunno how :\ ...maybe ask yomoneyboat i sent him 2 of mine and he says theyre pretty good, and he made a pretty dam good one himself

and fyi the 1st five levels of DMA are now complete!

I looked at your wad, and the last 2 maps had a horrible HOM...

The design also needs to improve.. I liked, though, the map in which there are a lot of small pyramids.... but what i didn't like at all was the fact that the middle area of the maps were full of weapons and powerups!!!

Also, on the first map, there were some linedefs with grate textures that were not impassable..

Well, keep trying, but you had to practice much.. Also, never start designing in the computer, make plans on paper first!!! Or in something else... (I use my Palm to draw ideas)

tycp_08 said:

Actually, I do, but not too harsh.

If you don't want harsh criticism, make levels that don't suck.

Or get your grandma to play them.

GGG said:

If you don't want harsh criticism, make levels that don't suck.

Or get your grandma to play them.

My grandmother would have an aneurysm if she played Doom.

yomoneyboat said:

My grandmother would have an aneurysm if she played Doom.

my grandmother plays doom in her spare time, when she's not eating small children and beating animals