Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Your most HATED monster?

fezzador said:

Cacos don't have a real melee attack.

I always thought that they should be able to eat you as a melee attack. CHOMP!

fezzador said:

Barons and Cacos.

Both have way too many hit points (probably twice as much as necessary) and pose very little threat to a nimble player. Cacos are even slower than Barons, their fire-lightning balls aren't all that powerful, and don't have a real melee attack.

Cacos can be used in many ways like here: slayer map02 or this one Italian doom:episode 1:at the end of map01 or here the end (and the end before the end)of demons of problematique
Some kind of cacotimer function over time returning (survive,survive discover, survive discover find)

Caco's melee uses the same animation as the lightning ball attack, but they are two different attacks.

I think most people miss the fact that the Caco has a melee attack, because it's missing a sound for it... I'm always waiting for some kind of chomping or crunching sound :P

I don't have a most hated monster in Doom. My answer used to be lost souls but they no longer annoy me. I think after playing games like Quake and having spawn flopping around, no Doom monster ever seemed annoying or hated again.

Doom Dude said:

I don't have a most hated monster in Doom. My answer used to be lost souls but they no longer annoy me. I think after playing games like Quake and having spawn flopping around, no Doom monster ever seemed annoying or hated again.

Just the word Spawn can throw me into epilectic shock. Those are THE worst enemies in ANY game, EVER.

Vader said:

I think most people miss the fact that the Caco has a melee attack, because it's missing a sound for it... I'm always waiting for some kind of chomping or crunching sound :P

Sure? I thought it was similar the the Baron/Knight's Melee attack.

The spider mastermind! That thing can shoot you from all the way across the map. You can barely see it and some how it still hits you, that used to make me so mad!

Vader said:

Get a *crunch* sound effect from cartoons ;)

fezzador said:

Barons and Cacos.

Both have way too many hit points (probably twice as much as necessary) and pose very little threat to a nimble player. Cacos are even slower than Barons, their fire-lightning balls aren't all that powerful, and don't have a real melee attack.

This thread is full of replies that have made me go "What game have these people been playing?"

Cacos have too many hit points? 2 good SSG blasts? Somebody needs to change his avy.

I don't really "hate" any monsters. What's to hate? If monsters are used wrongly, then they become annoying, which of course is bad. But you can misuse all types of monsters. The most common ones who are misused are the chaingunners (Plutonia map 12 -- ARGH!), Cyberdemons and Arch-Viles -- but I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate either of these. More likely, I'll start hating the WAD author for using them inappropriately. I usually end up killing them anyway (the monsters, not the authors, heh), so they should by all means hate me. :-)

Stealthy Ivan said:

The spider mastermind! That thing can shoot you from all the way across the map. You can barely see it and some how it still hits you, that used to make me so mad!

M- Spider is hard for you? It is one of the easiest monsters to kill in whole game. Its just slow chaingunner with couple times more hp.

Also, if someone says that barons and cacos have too much health, go to episode 1 and play with easiest skill, n00bs.

DoomLord said:

M- Spider is hard for you? It is one of the easiest monsters to kill in whole game. Its just slow chaingunner with couple times more hp.

Also, if someone says that barons and cacos have too much health, go to episode 1 and play with easiest skill, n00bs.

Both of your statements are writhe with inaccuracies.

yomoneyboat said:

Both of your statements are writhe with inaccuracies.

Yes, here's a few of them: the Spider is faster than a chaingunner, has more than 40 times the HP of a chaingunner, and doesn't use a chaingun, but a chain shotgun. Also, episode 1 doesn't have cacos and skill levels have no effect on monster health.

it depends mostly on the monster placement. chaingunners and archviles can be fun when dodging their fire is possible, but they're plain annoying when some clueless mapper has them overlook large open places, maybe even from behind fake walls.

barons can be used to good effect in close quarters, or totally wasted in the open as ammo eaters (i hope there's a berserk in such maps)

lost souls and pain elementals are on the top of my list for most occasions. skull spam, annoying as, you guessed it, hell.

If the Spider mastermind was too far away to shoot, you were in deep shit (it could still hit you), I have never had a problem killing it if I had to face it, but it never had a problem shooting me from a far!
This (DoomLord) is why I hate it...

LordK said:

Yes, here's a few of them: the Spider is faster than a chaingunner, has more than 40 times the HP of a chaingunner, and doesn't use a chaingun, but a chain shotgun. Also, episode 1 doesn't have cacos and skill levels have no effect on monster health.

Thank you for the elaboration on my post. I thought E1 had no Cacos, but wasn't sure, so I just didn't say it.

I don't hate any of the monsters. I love the Arch vile, it's my favorit monster I think.

Lost souls rules.

Also, Episode one doesn't have Cacos, get your facts straigh LordK

I don't really hate one. But the cyberdemon takes too much time to kill (without the BFG), too much time to concentrate. Though, it looks great and the sound is cool. My lesser favorite is the Pain Elemental, when used more than once or twice in a map.

Designwise the Caco and Lost Soul do not fit perfectly, they look too much like a comic figure.

The death animation and death sound of the Cyber make it totally worth the battle. Plus the bloody stump he leaves behind.

LordK said:

Yes, here's a few of them: the Spider is faster than a chaingunner, has more than 40 times the HP of a chaingunner, and doesn't use a chaingun, but a chain shotgun.

Shotgun or not, it is still too easy to kill. Enemy that you can kill with 180 plasma shots or rockets of same count is easy enemy. Also, if you shoot it with plasma, it can't shoot you most of the time. Same effect is in Chaingun, thought it doesn't always work on largest enemies.

LordK said: Also, episode 1 doesn't have cacos and skill levels have no effect on monster health.[/B]

Yes, there are no cacos and no health differences, but many times less monsters (ITYTD skill as I said). Starters and n00bs should play there.
Also, cacos are fun to kill with chainsaw, and thought baron is a bit worse, it's not bad enemy.

REVENANTS. hate in close quarters cause theyre so fast and their hard to shoot cause theyre too skinny, and same in wide open areas except u can't shake off the homin missles...unless of course ur near a wall but still hate 'em

but lost souls aint so bad, theyre not very tough to hit or dodge but the pain elemental, especially when there's lots of them...EVIL

Lost Souls and Pain Elementals. Arch-Viles because they resurrect. Any monster with a homing attack (so Revenants, some versions of the Dark Imp, the Annihilator, etc. etc.)

I don't hate it, but the Icon of Sin was a dissapointment because it wasn't really a real monster, not like a Cyberdemon.