Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AgentOrange

Project Idea #1 Ultimate Doom

the basic idea behind this one is to make a 32map remake of Doom1, using the old and some new textures and including all monsters from Doom1 and 2, and this should work either on all exe's or Legacy

i was thinkin of makin each original episode of Doom1 with every 10maps (1-10 ep.1...sure u get it), but there's only 9places in the original (8+secret level) so i was thinkin of 9 per episode and then 1 secret level in each of the 10, but i dunno how to warp to another map and keep all ur items and still play the inter level kill%and all that count (like on map5 goto secret level on 10 then when beat goto map6) and note this is on Legacy. i already know how to warp just not w/keepin ur items

also wat do u think of the idea? doom1textures and some others that go with the feel, no new sounds or guns (maybe keep the super shotgun cause its my favorite :D) and use monsters from Doom2

I have to wish you the very best with that ambitious project.

Do you have any idea how many people have started to make a mega wad and never got it finished? It will require a ton of focus to pull it off for a new mapper.

Good luck.

yeah i know what u mean...i've started so many megawads only to get bored of them/lose focus then start another megawad then a couple weeks later get bored with that one, and maybe even get interested in the one i was doing before...thats why i'm makin 2 so i switch between both of them :D

...but still yeah, i once made a mega-wad where i just took doom3 maps from the official game guide ( dont have the real game myself, computer too slow :( ) and just made them in a doom2-like format, no scripting but some 3d floors and stuff...took me a long time to make but a couple days after i was finished old computer got a virus which made it so i'd have to restart the entire system from scratch, reload the windowsxp stuff and all that X( ...so that hurt, but i got a new comp thats so much better so yay for that at least

It sounds unoriginal in itself and probably too ambitious to even end up being any good or getting finished at all, but (perhaps more importantly) this "DOOM remake" fad is starting to get quite old. People are getting way too nostalgic, it seems, which is a factor that'll stagnate the community.

Concentrate on a concept that will be fun to play and will add something to what's already been done, instead.

It you want to make tribute maps, look for some of the ones you like best and get inspired on them.

Also, keep in mind that using the resources from one game for an addon for another game is not condoned by the authors of the games (as it infringes their copyrights).

AgentOrange, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

misuse of that tag sure gets old after we've seen it 4,000 times. He didn't actually ask for help, which is why I told him good luck. He would be a very rare person indeed that could actually pull off making a (decent) mega wad.

It sounds unoriginal in itself and probably too ambitious to even end up being any good or getting finished at all, but (perhaps more importantly) this "DOOM remake" fad is starting to get quite old. People are getting way too nostalgic, it seems, which is a factor that'll stagnate the community.

On the contrary, nostalgia is the very thing that keeps this community alive? I see lots of maps that are purposely intended as nice looking 'old school' maps. That is what all the maps I make are intended to be. The map I'm working on now has more detail, but only in so far as it's still a nostalgic look on Quake.

I'd rather play a well done megawad of the description of the opening post than an over the top Zdoom map.

It's not that (I'm a purist, even), but that everyone is doing basically the same thing. Yes, there have been good E1 (or other level) remakes or offshoots, but that they are remakes is hardly what makes them really good. What does make them good is that the authors get solid conceptual ideas (as opposed to following someone else's), work on the levels, play them and test them, tweak them and optimize them till they shine.

What keeps the community alive is that the game is fun. Nostalgia is something you go for when you can't have that directly.

Remaking shouldn't be the focus, but interesting levels (in how they play and everything associated with that). That's why I was more or less saying "don't remake the whole thing, in any case work with the most inspiring bits as an incentive and see where that leads you".

Authors that write good books that in some way rewrite previous stories do it well when they do that because they have a concept which plays in some way with the inspiring work (in a way reply to it doing something differently), and not because they go and say "I'm going to rewrite X's story and it'll be as good or better".

i get it i get it...its more of a fad anyways i always loved doom1 the best :D just wanted to relive the days but yeah way too many people are doin the same thing so...yeah it seems so pointless now :(

thats why i'm workin on the deathmatch idea, just make some good deathmatch/arena style levels first then use my killzone idea usin the deathmatch arenas i create