Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eric Vaughn

Wad Author Scripting

Hi there,

I wanted to try out the colored lighting tutorial I found on the zDoom webpage. I've opened up Wad Author and tried reading around to figure out how to make a script, but I can't seem to figure it out.

How do you make/edit scripts? Do you compile a script into a wad when its done?

:S

1.To create a new script (or edit an existing one), right click your mouse on any void space. [Void space is any part of the map editing window that is not occupied by a sector, and there is usually plenty of this outside the boundaries of a map.] A text box will open up.
    2. If this is a new script you will see some default script code that WadAuthor creates. You can replace this text with your own script code. Follow the guidelines for creating scripts.
    3. When you are finished, select the "Compile" button to the right of the text box. The script will be compiled provided there are no errors in the code.
    4. Select OK to exit the compiled script.
    5. Save your map from the File Menu.

This doesn't work for me. Instead, if I double click on an empty space, I get a menu about images and Wad Author including them from a seperate wad file.

Eric Vaughn said:

This doesn't work for me. Instead, if I double click on an empty space, I get a menu about images and Wad Author including them from a seperate wad file.

Don't double-click. Right-click your mouse.

ReX said:

Don't double-click. Right-click your mouse.

Yup, even now it pops up with a menu of things, no script prompt.

ok, first you need to load zdoom's doom in hexen format .wcf. you can get it here. put it in the WA dir and load by going to the file menu without a map loaded and select 'Select Configuration File..'. go to where you put the .wcf and select it.
second, when you right click with that loaded you will get a simmilar menu , but it will have a 'Scripts...' option under 'Map Name...', click on that to get to the scripting window.

Sigvatr said:

This is what shows up:

As Isle pointed out, you need to be editing your map in ZDooM-Hexen format. Note that once you select the ZDooM configuration in WadAuthor, you will not be able to open non-ZDooM maps until you have changed the configuration. [In other words, you will not be able to open doom2.wad, as shown in the linked picture. There is a way to convert non-port-specific wads into ZDooM format, including doom.wad and doom2.wad, but that's a different issue.]

Alright, I've done this, but right clicking still does not bring up anything having to do with scripts.

Do I have to load a particular wad file to get this to work, or put a lump in my wad?

Have you:

1. Created a ZDooM version of your IWAD (i.e., doom.wad, doom2.wad)? You can use zwadconv.exe to convert your IWAD to ZDooM format.
    2. Edited your WadAuthor ZDooM configuration to point to the converted IWAD?
Refer to Rick Clark's WadAuthor tutorial for ZDooM for details.

Alright, I've got a proper zDoom wad going now and everything.

I tried to write my lighting script, but I got a message saying that it couldn't be compiled when I tried to compile it.

I think it is probably because I need these files:

* zcommon.acs
* zdefs.acs
* zspecial.acs
* zwvars.acs

Does anyone know where to get them?

Never mind, I found those files. However, I'm still getting the "cannot be compiled message"

This is the code I put in:

#include "zcommon.acs"

script 1 OPEN
{
Sector_SetColor (const:1, 0, 0, 255);
}

Do you have all the ACS files in the same folder as WadAuthor? Also remember to use the DOS version, not the Windows version of ACS.