Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FeverDreams

Doom 1 and 2 Sound Effects

Is there a place or database of the original doom game sound effects? Or a way to extract the sound effects from the .WAD file so I can use them in other programs? (Example: Adobe Flash). I'm basically trying to get the monster sound effects and weapon sound effects. I've googled around a bit, but only found music from doom 1/2.

Thanks in advance!

You can extract them with deutex. Keep in mind that they are copyrighted, though. Most of them are taken from sound libraries.

Correction: most of them are taken from public domain/free sound libraries. I don't have a list of which do/don't, however if you listen carefully to movies/TV series, you'll recognize some sounds like:

• The zombies' moans
  • The "snapping" sound of the Cube Spitter
  • The death scream(?) of Doomguy (at least one of them)
  • ...and possibly others
These are considered stock/free AFAIK and there's no problem extracting them. If you want a higher quality version you'd better look elsewhere though.

Maes said:

Correction: most of them are taken from public domain/free sound libraries.

The Sound General series (which Doom uses) is not Free nor Public Domain. It is a professional, licensed sound library from Sound Ideas.

The dying imp is actually a camel. That particular sound is part of the Lucasfilm sound archive which is not exactly low price.
I don't know of the others, but it seems quite unlikely to pay for just that one sound and take the others from public domain sources.

Romero specified the commencial development package they used (the one leileilol mentioned) somewhere; his forums, I believe. Keep in mind the sounds are reused by other sets that get the rights from other sets, so perhaps the one found in the Lucas Arts archive is also found elsewhere in a similar form.

The said Sound General library does feature a selection of samples from Skywalker Ranch so yeah there's your lucasarts sounds

Ok, it seems we have conflicting info or at least, conflicting "between the lines" info on the subject.

From wikipedia, Making of Doom: "The final sound effects for the monsters were mixed from various animal sounds and recordings by Romero and Prince."

Plus I had read here on DW that most of the sound effects were PD anyway...any more precise info on the matter?

Update: Hmm...on that same thread somebody notes that "Royalty free != public domain"...so basically you can't use them unless you buy the General Sound Libraries?

Yeah; wikis and forums aren't exactly infallible sources for info. It's best to check who's saying what and if they have any sources for what they are saying.

I've heard the door sound somewhere else, but I don't remember what...

What you can't do is assume that if you see a graphic or hear a sound elsewhere, you can consider it "public domain".

DeHackEd doesn't extract anything, although it can change the names of the (sound) lumps the engine refers to.

Janitor said:

I've heard the door sound somewhere else, but I don't remember what...

Doctor Who, that one epsiode with that Satan/devil thingy on that asteroid around a black hole.

When they are escaping on that ship you hear the "stabilizers" (or somtm) playin that sound. (plus the close).

I was just watching that Dr Who episode when I heard that noise and googled it! It's great that if you watch enough TV, you'll find plenty of DooM SFX.

I noticed in the Rise of the Cybermen episode that they used the sound of The Guardian spawning a Soul Cube when the CyberController falls into an explosion.

Reading this back I have never sounded such a geek :)