Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DOOMENSTEIN

New Teleport Graphics

I want to use new graphics for TFOG, and I overwrote all TFOG frames with the graphics I want to use, but it still shows the same green teleport fog whenever I test it. What do I do?

Need more info:

-Port
-Editing Tool
-Possibly the wad, if needed.
-Any other useful info.

Are your sprites between the SS_Start and SS_End markers?

Are they named correctly?

Steeveeo said:

Need more info:

-Port
-Editing Tool
-Possibly the wad, if needed.
-Any other useful info.

Are your sprites between the SS_Start and SS_End markers?

Are they named correctly?

-Vanilla DOOM
-XWE
-I don't think it's necessary you see the WAD
-None that I can think of

Yes they are, cuz I'm only overwriting pre-existing graphics, not adding new ones.

Using the standard engine, there's two ways to add sprites.

One is to simply add them between the sprite markers with the lump names of the sprites they replace. In that case the PWAD must be patched with DeuSF before playing, because Doom has to read all the sprites from a single wad which must include every sprite.

The other is through DeHackEd. If you change the base name of a sprite (such as TFOG to TELF) with DeHackEd's F7 (text string editor), and place the new sprites using the new name between SS_START and S_END (one S here), Doom will read them from the PWAD and it doesn't need to be patched with DeuSF. Though the DEH file has to be applied or loaded, of course.

myk said:

Using the standard engine, there's two ways to add sprites.

One is to simply add them between the sprite markers with the lump names of the sprites they replace. In that case the PWAD must be patched with DeuSF before playing, because Doom has to read all the sprites from a single wad which must include every sprite.

The other is through DeHackEd. If you change the base name of a sprite (such as TFOG to TELF) with DeHackEd's F7 (text string editor), and place the new sprites using the new name between SS_START and S_END (one S here), Doom will read them from the PWAD and it doesn't need to be patched with DeuSF. Though the DEH file has to be applied or loaded, of course.

I appreciate the help because I would've asked that question as well, but it seems none of you have read what I said.

Let's say for example, instead of the typical green ball of energy that is shown when we teleport, I want to use a puff of smoke or maybe a red ball of energy. I overwrote the existing TFOG frames with the frames I want to use. When I test it in a teleporter, it still uses the original green TFOG teleport frames.

I can overwrite any other graphic in XWE or WinTex w/o a problem, but the teleportation sprites are always the same. How come it's not working?

DOOMENSTEIN said:
but it seems none of you have read what I said.

Well, to me it seems you haven't read what I said, so we're even. Although I'm assuming you didn't understand it.

How come it's not working?

Because you haven't applied one of the two methods I described above. Sprite replacements won't be read by the standard engine ("vanilla") unless the PWAD is patched with DeuSF, or the DHE method is used to bypass the restriction.

When I say "new" sprites I'm talking about your replacement set, not an entirely new sprite set in addition to the teleporter sprite. New graphics, not new things.

myk said:

Well, to me it seems you haven't read what I said, so we're even. Although I'm assuming you didn't understand it.

Because you haven't applied one of the two methods I described above. Sprite replacements won't be read by the standard engine ("vanilla") unless the PWAD is patched with DeuSF, or the DHE method is used to bypass the restriction.

When I say "new" sprites I'm talking about your replacement set, not an entirely new sprite set in addition to the teleporter sprite. New graphics, not new things.

I misspoke, I'm running it in ZDoom, but making it so it can be played in vanilla also. (ie: I'm making a vanilla WAD for play with ZDoom).

But that's beside the point, even if I was running the vanilla EXE, I know how to use DeuSF, or even the command line "doom -file c:\doom\mydoom.wad" so my changes would be implemented. All my other changes pull through, except this one.

Even with all this, it still won't work, but all my other sprite overwrites do. I was wondering if the teleport animation runs off of more than just the TFOG frames.

Maybe there's something wrong with the specific graphics or lumps you've imported for the teleporter sprite. I just replaced the teleporter sprite with graphics using the item respawn fog graphics and all were replaced properly, and it worked in both Doom with DeuSF and in ZDoom with or without DeuSF.

fraggle said:

Did you surround the new sprites in an SS_START ... SS_END section?

That's irrelevant, cuz as I've illustrated several times before, I'm not adding sprites, I'm overwriting the graphics of pre-existing ones, so they already are between those 2 entries.

EDIT: I just tried playing it with the vanilla EXE and it worked fine, so that means my TFOG problem lies within ZDoom only. Now what? There isn't even any TFOG frames in zdoom.wad for me to fix.

DOOMENSTEIN said:
That's irrelevant, cuz as I've illustrated several times before, I'm not adding sprites, I'm overwriting the graphics of pre-existing ones, so they already are between those 2 entries.

No, the markers have to be there in the PWAD either way. In fact, just to make sure this was the problem, I used that test wad I made, but removed the SS_ markers, and likewise ZDoom ignored the sprite replacement.

myk said:

No, the markers have to be there in the PWAD either way. In fact, just to make sure this was the problem, I used that test wad I made, but removed the SS_ markers, and likewise ZDoom ignored the sprite replacement.

Okay...it works.