Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Coold00d

Questions About Edge

I am using Edge 1.28 and I want to know how to put text up on the screen to make it appear that a character is speaking (eg. EarthBound Doom)

Basically I don't even know where to start so could anyone help me out with this?
What text file would this need to go in, and what sort of coding would I need to use? Can anyone give an example?
I would like to know-
1. how to place it into a level
2. how to deactivate the text at certain times (ie. if the character dies, or if the player walks around the corner)

On another note, has anyone got links to free demos or sharewares? I would like: ken's labrynth

Coold00d said:

I would like: Strife, Witchhaven I or II, Blake Stone: Planet Strike, Big Fat Cocks 2, Shadow Warrior, Powerslave, Rise Of The Triad, Hexen and Heretic.

So what your saying is you are to lazy to simply google it?

I tried googling it but it only came up with sites that require paid membership, I'm asking if there's any free sites for sharewares. But that's not important, the main thing is the coding question...

Apologies about the 'Big Fat Cocks' thing in the sharewares list, I had my brother type this up for me and obviously I didn't read through it thoroughly enough..

Coold00d said:

Apologies about the 'Big Fat Cocks' thing in the sharewares list

I'm not going to ask why your brother typed that in... You know, Don't ask, Don't tell.

I don't know much about Edge as I've never editted for it before, but I'm guessing that it uses the same scripting engine thing that Legacy uses called the "Fraggle Script"

If you want the Shareware versions of Strife, Hexen, and heretic; you can probably find them in the id games archive.

TheDarkArchon said:

Craigs: How on EARTH did you come to that conclusion? EDGE uses it's own script format called RTS.

Sorry man, but I did say that I've never mapped for Edge before. At the time, I thought what I said was logical, but I guess it wasn't. :(

Coold00d said:

What text file would this need to go in, and what sort of coding would I need to use? Can anyone give an example?
I would like to know-
1. how to place it into a level
2. how to deactivate the text at certain times (ie. if the character dies, or if the player walks around the corner)

Create a text file called my.scr and put the following into it:

start_map map01

radius_trigger 0 0 -1
  on_death IMP
  tip "Imps dead!" 5
end_radiustrigger

end_map
To test it out, open the console window (Start -> Run with "cmd.exe"), and run edge like this:
gledge32 -script my.scr -warp map01
(With the 1.29 betas, dragging the SCR file onto the EDGE binary should also work).

The message should appear after you kill all the imps.

The RTS documentation is currently being rewritten for the new EDGE site. In the meantime, google for 'RTS Online' and you should find the old documentation.

Ajapted, since this thread relates to questions about edge

is it possible to have weapon graphics in a reload state when you hit the reload button, that it would reload only the amount needed to fill the clip amount, rather than loading the complete clip.

ie: shotgun holds 8 rounds, you shoot 4, you hit reload but it goes through the complete 8 round reloading animation, which is pointless as it should only loop through 4 times.

RTC_Marine said:

is it possible to have weapon graphics in a reload state when you hit the reload button, that it would reload only the amount needed to fill the clip amount, rather than loading the complete clip.

It's not possible yet, but it would be a good feature to have, so I've bumped up the priority of the RFE so it won't be forgotten.

Thanks for the tip.

Does anyone have direct links to the sharewares, as I am having no luck trying to find them and I don't get much time online these days to spend searching. I mostly need Ken's labrynth Thanks.