Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
GzStarWars

Trying to duplicate sliding doors in PrBOOM

Wow that is an awesome application of BOOM's displacement scroller linetypes.

What is wrong with yours is that you haven't used BOOM's displacement scroller linetype, type 249 here, on the square dummy sector (top and bottom lines) which are "tagged" to the mid-textured lines of the door (to make them scroll).

Thank you, it now works! My only problem is the doors remain visible at all times, they scroll and you can walk through them, but you can still see them.

The wad I got this from has a new texture called ashwall1, but when I open XWE, it is no wear to be found. I wonder what he did to make that exactly? Very confusing.

entryway said:

btw, scrolling sky on Eternal's map07 from the Tuning Contest does not work with Edge

Strictly speaking the sky transfer linetypes (271 and 272) are MBF features, not BOOM features (iirc the contest said BOOM format). Though I should add support for it in EDGE sometime.

@GzStarWars: I don't know what you mean when you say your doors remain visible. For the trick to work, the whole width of the door must be twice the height.

Also simplifying the trick to a single horizontal slider should be possible, this time the width of the door must be the same as the height. The trick may even work on a curved set of linedefs, e.g. to replicate those cool sliding doors in the first (second?) level of DarkForces.

You won't find ASHWALL1 as a lump because it is defined as a texture (using the TEXTURE1 lump).

UPDATE:
(1) the door texture needs to have a big blank area on the sides for the effect to work. That is what his custom ASHWALL1 texture has got, and why your version always stay visible. The blank area is what "scrolls in" to open the door.

(2) I just tried to make a curved version. It almost works. However it would be really painful to make a nice one, because the BOOM displacement scrollers have to be in the same direction as the trigger line, otherwise you get a vertical scroll as well (GAHHH!), plus the trigger lines must all be 32 unit in length.

Do you mind uploading that curved example you just tried? I'd REALLY like to have a look at that if you don't mind! :)
Ok, going to hack away at my 1st problem now.

Ajapted said:

Strictly speaking the sky transfer linetypes (271 and 272) are MBF features, not BOOM features (iirc the contest said BOOM format). Though I should add support for it in EDGE sometime.

Thanks. Fixed for complevels < 11 in prboom+

Ok, I made a new texture similiar to what was used in the example I am learning from. The ony downside now is that I can see the ceiling raise and lower when the doors are apart.

I went in and applied a transparent texture to the sector that is merged with the one in the center, but that didn't help.

GzStarWars said:

Do you mind uploading that curved example you just tried? I'd REALLY like to have a look at that if you don't mind! :)

I was afraid you'd say that :-)
Here is the link: http://glbsp.sourceforge.net/curvedoor.zip

You need to run it with slidoor.wad as well, because it uses the ASHWALL1 texture. Also note that the back part of the door never got done.

I made an important change to the slidoor example. For the "real door" (the inner sector that opens vertically and blocks you when closed), I made it use self-referencing linedefs. Yes, those linedefs with the same sector on both sides that are often used for tricks like 3D bridges. Here the trick is used to not draw the real door sector.

I've yet to successfully make a fake 3D bridge. No matter what I for some reason can not follow any of the tutorials through.

Thankx for the Wad, I'll check into this and hopefully accomplish something, if not, I'll upload where I'm at so someone can hopefully see the errors of my ways. :)

Ok so here is all I think I need to know...

...How to make the wall in the center of the door (the real door that lifts) invisible. This has to do something with the 3D bridge trick, and that's the part I don't understand.

Also I noticed when I load your map or the original in DOOM Builder, it says,"Unused Sector's Removed".

I know what a sector is, but what's that all about? Seems if I save I see errors on those maps, like I can see that door that I am not supposed to see.

GzStarWars said:

...How to make the wall in the center of the door (the real door that lifts) invisible. This has to do something with the 3D bridge trick, and that's the part I don't understand.

Linedefs have two sides (sidedefs).

Each side can refer to a particular sector.

The trick is to make the line have the same sector on both sides, and different from nearby sectors. When you do this, the linedef is invisible, but that sector will block you (or act like a step) when the player walks into the line.

When you use this trick, the map-checking functions will complain about unclosed sectors (at least, mine does). The editor should have a function to let you fiddle with what sector is on each side of a linedef (all the DEU-based editors have it).

Hope that helps