AgentOrange

idea for group project (?)

good idea?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. good idea?

• Great idea!
    • its ok...
    • GTFO

Hey what do u think of this idea? Make a DOOM3 version of Doom for zdoom or something! only thing is 30levels(or watever) of the mars base would look boring after a while so i was thinking of not making the maps look exactly the same, maybe the same layout but different textures/flats and maybe a couple of extra things[cause doom3 doesnt have a crate maze :(]

one thing is i have never played doom3 (computer sucks and i aint gettin a better one anytime soon) all i have is the PRIMA official game guide a friend of mine let me have.

the new monsters could either be done with scripting (or watever that is, decorate was it?) or change existing sprites (like pain elemental, arachnotron, wss and commander keen), but i dont think zdoom has 3dfloors does it? cause i think that would be necessary.....

also i was thinking some people could make the weapons, some could make the sprites (use dehacked for these?) and others could make the levels using whatever graphics they want. also i was thinkin to make difficulty 1&2 could be kept the same as in doom3 on medium(shows monsters and stuff in guide) but on 3 make it tough but barely beatable like a good doom game and 4-5 really hard...

sound like a great idea? or a *slaphead* GTFO sorta deal?

Meh....sounds ok if your willing to make hundreds of new textures....might take a while though ;) also there is a doom 3 weapon mod out there, maybe have a look at that see if you can duplicate it :) This sounds like a crapload of work, but would turn out nice. :)

well the idea behind it is to not make it EXACTLY like doom3, like not many new textures and stuff like that just somethin fun to do u know? not like addin 1,000 new textures and stuff just like Doom3...

either that or make a remake of doom2, it was a bitter disappointment when i first played it. all the new monsters were good but still it lacked that doom feel sometimes...

ok back on topic i just thought it'd be something fun to do, not a huge strenuous project

...plus i dunno heck about zdoom...legacy is what i've been using..does zdoom have 3d floors? i played around on doombuilder but there wasnt a linedef for that like on legacy...

plus i still like the idea of makin it a group project; someone does the sprite coding, others the weapons, others the maps/scripting...especially since i dunno about scripting new sprites/weapons like in zdoom :( thats why i was thinkin of just keepin it on legacy cause i know how to work legacy :D

also some replacement ideas:

MONSTERS
hell knight - chainsaw zombie (easy enough, just need xwe and whacked), and as for doom3's hell knight, the Baron shall take that role cause he looks more diabolic and has better sounds
arachnotron - trites/ticks (make image 1/2 size, fast, melee attack only and explodes when dies, easy whacked work)
wss - maggot (find a sprite replacement that looks like a different-colored demon maybe)
commander keen - sabaoth (spider mastermind but with bfg attack)
spider mastermind - vagary (i was thinkin of just keepin it as the spider mastermind)
as for the guardian battle...i dunno...i was thinkin of makin instead of the guardian the cyberdemon then in place of the cyberdemon battle use the Icon of Sin

GUNS:
chainsaw-keep
fists-keep(maybe as flashlight instead of punch?)
pistol-keep
shotgun-keep, maybe shoot sshotgun buckshot?
sshotgun-chaingun, maybe shoot shotgun shells?
machinegun-keep
rocket launcher-...um...either keep or change into grenades
plasmagun-keep
bfg-keep
and sorry but no soulcube :(

Doom 2.5 was going well until the hosting got scrapped (even me sending a forewarning of it closing down didn't get them to move). I still have it myself somewhere, however.

kool could someone please find those weapon/sound/unfinished doom3tc's for me? i've been searching but i havent found anythin good...even the sound replacement wad only has 3-4 usuable sounds and they aren't that good...

and note i have not played doom3 before so i dunno about what sounds/textures/etc to add, all the info i'm getting is from this PRIMA official game guide and another note, i'm not gonna say it again...ITS NOT GONNA LOOK EXACTLY LIKE DOOM3! 30levels of techbase/hellbase ain't too pretty after a while so i'll change it around a little, add some stones, slads and well i'm sure u get the idea

*inserts adapted newproject*

No one is going to start working on any project unless you begin the work first yourself and get it off the ground. May sound a bit harsh, but it's the truth.

ok first i'll make a data wad with the new sprites, textures/patches and flats, a .deh file for new behaviors and values and maybe even make level1 if you want that sound good?

oh and the dm project...the 32in24 sorta killed it for me :(, killzone eh still thinkin about it i have the story behind it but nothing else...and ultimate doom is dead cause so many have been made and are currently being made so its sorta a crapshoot... if u wanna dm map that's got a lot of good ones...but i'll make the doom3 dm levels sooner or later then add 'em on there, then who knows? but this is what i'd like to work on right now

also here's an issue: there could be 3 possible starts for this: either Mars City 1 right at the beginning of Doom3, the beginning of Mars City Underground or right after the demonic invasion/explosion in the Old Comm Main building so u'd start off with the action right away; i like the latter idea best.

also if we do start it with Mars City Underground first, it could either be 2 levels; one before and one after the demonic invasion or combine them both into 1 (it'd look nicer)

also if we start with Mars City as #1 and make Mars City Underground 2 levels there's only 28 maps, but maybe 2 of the bossfights could be separate levels? or one could be a separate bossfight then the last level could be an easter-egg level

and of course map31 and map32 could be secret levels, one would be nice to be a crate maze cause there isn't one in Doom3 (that i know of)

AgentOrange said:

oh and the dm project...the 32in24 sorta killed it for me :(

And with that, my WIP Marble Mausoleum 2 dies an untimely death.

send it out by itself maybe, either that or i can just send out the 7 i have right now by themselves (or 6, not use level1 so the wad will be compatible with every port), whichever u want yomoneyboat cause for me i was gonna keep the project dormant for a while until i make the doom3 dm levels and add those onto there

also i was thinkin of addin generic zombies but i dunno any good sprite replacements for the plain ole' zombies, and besides the fact they have no weapons besides melee and have low health maybe i should just not bother? and i can't find any good sprite replacements for 'em, and i ain't gonna make them myself :P

the generic zombie would replace the shotgun zombie sprite cause the pistol, shotgun and machinegun zombies will all be the same sprite of a marine w/o the helmet, just different colors (pistol-green, shotgun-red, machinegun-grey...or maybe machinegun-brown and have the melee zombies as grey? they'd look odd carrying around a gun they'd never shoot though, thus the new sprites...)

Another project? Despite the lack of evidence you're able to do anything of the things you mentioned? Sounds good to me.

true, i haven't really displayed anything...except for HEDGE in the 32in24 that wasn't accepted :( and 2 dm maps that yomoneyboat looked at...

i gotta go to work now but tonight i'll get my dm levels so far (yes including ur Marble Mausoleum yomoneyboad) excluding the 1st level so it'll work on every port as long as u use doom2 as the iwad.

...and either tonight or tomorrow i'll get a pwad for the MARS(doom3 sorta) project (if u can think of a better name go ahead :P) with some of the new sprites and a .deh patch for them, including a text file with the changes, just give me some time...

and if anyone does decide to join in on the project i'll also put the textures/flats u can use on the pwad

GTFO

The first thing everyone is going to do when they see an option like this is to vote for it..

Show some work dude... People need to see results before they usually make decisions.
BTW have you ever mapped before, if not you are taking on a very big challenge.

There already exists a Chainsaw Zombie, I believe it is in the MRW.
There is an Imp Trite in T667's Bestiary...
As mentioned before, there is a Doom 3 weapons mod.

Personally, I wouldn't play this. I might play like a level to see what it's like but nothing else. I have Doom 3, so why would I want to play it in Classic Doom. Plus I'm not exactly gonna re-play Doom 3 anytime soon...

But for those people who don't have/can't play Doom 3 perhaps this a good idea for them. I played the Doom 64 TC because I'm not allowed a console (plus PC rules anyway). Anyways good luck

Well DOOM 2.5 is the closest you can get. For these who don't know about it. It's an Edge mod, that I worked with other guys. Now it's abandoned. The "DOOM 3 weapon pack" it's a rip off of KRoNoS sprites, they were bastardized to semi jokes (replacing vital parts with paint sprites, and erasing all of it's dynamic lights and transparencies). Same with the monsters that are in that wad (designed by me). There are other monsters that were never released too, also a special map using Nmn's texture pack (was going to be a surprise for him, sadly by the time it was finished Nmn left the team). I'd upload it, but I'm too lazy to group the stuff properly.
DOOM 2.5 also had maps, with proper DOOM 3 textures and dynamic lights. I feel sorry about this wad, the best by far I worked on, but I completely lost my interest when I could play DOOM 3 on my comp, specialy when I discovered that the rumor of it being boring were true (for me, I know some people think it's a good game).
The rest of the team, uh I don't know, KRoNoS, was an enigmatic guy that left and rejoined the team a couple of times. Nmn got busy with KDiZD, and Dartmerc got obsessed "improving" the already designed maps, adding many stuff that made you require a comp almost as powerful as one capable of running DOOM 3.

About this wad, best of luck, yet it requires more work and patience than what you imagine, I suggest you starting with something that you actually can finish alone, then if you get some help, much better, but don't make it a must.
If you add new graphics be sure not to use completely unedited graphics from other place, specially if you don't have the authorization(and even if you have it, be sure the graphics weren't used on many wads, or they look lame).

-well i can't play doom3 on my comp cause my computer sucks
-imp trite looks dumb
-i just thought it'd be somethin fun to do i dont care about how everyone will like it or why they'd wanna play it, i just thought it'd be something fun and neat to do if u dont like it well i dont exactly give a dam :P
-i'm sorta new to zdoom and i thought this could test my skills
-how many times do i have to say this?...ITS NOT GONNA BE EXACTLY LIKE DOOM3! all that should be similar is the the maps and the enemies on Doom3medium difficulty will be on easy difficulty, med. and hard. will be designed to be more fun/challenging, and of course the graphics might and will be totally different...i dont wanna make somethin thats an exact remake of doom3 why would i wanna do that?

Take small references from doom 3, and make them so they dont stand out too much or at all. But make sure they can be recognizable from the game, however. I personally liked the weapons more than anything though, and the gameplay from the game. :)

exactly. all i'm keeping from doom3 is the weapons mod, changing some sprites and changin some values/behaviors and then making maps with the layout shown in the PRIMA guide but using whatever textures i see fit; difficulty 1-2 keeps the original weapon/items/etc placement of doom3 but 3 i make as barely beatable as i can and 4-5 hellishly difficult

more like it's doom3 inspired instead of a doom3TC, so to speak

AgentOrange said:

all i'm keeping from doom3 is the weapons mod ... and then making maps with the layout shown in the PRIMA guide .. difficulty 1-2 keeps the original weapon/items/etc placement of doom3

more like it's doom3 inspired instead of a doom3TC, so to speak

So how is a wad which has:
-guns from Doom 3
-the exactly same level layout as Doom 3
-(on some difficulties) the exactly same thing layout as Doom 3

ANY different from a Doom 3 remake, gameplay wise? And please, textures haven't got a thing to do with gameplay. It doesn't make any difference whether you'd just use the stock Doom 2 stuff or rip everything off of Doom 3. The map layouts and monster behavior are still the same.

i guess gameplay would be the same under those circumstances, except for different scenery/whatever...but thats why i decided for the "optional" doom3 weapons mod and only on easy (which nobody plays on anyways) for the original doom3 gameplay but other difficulties for different gameplay (more monsters and less ammo, obviously) so if u dont want it to be like doom3 there's ur options :P all that will be the same is the map layout(and that might be different cause all i'm using is the PRIMA guide and a visual walkthrough thing i found with some pics, but textures and layout of rooms will be a bit different...)

and thats the rest of that ok? not talkin about it anymore its a doom3 inspired wad that can either be played like doom3 or not END OF STORY

AgentOrange said:

i guess gameplay would be the same under those circumstances, except for different scenery/whatever...but thats why i decided for the "optional" doom3 weapons mod and only on easy (which nobody plays on anyways) for the original doom3 gameplay but other difficulties for different gameplay (more monsters and less ammo, obviously) so if u dont want it to be like doom3 there's ur options :P all that will be the same is the map layout(and that might be different cause all i'm using is the PRIMA guide and a visual walkthrough thing i found with some pics, but textures and layout of rooms will be a bit different...)

and thats the rest of that ok? not talkin about it anymore its a doom3 inspired wad that can either be played like doom3 or not END OF STORY

We are only trying to give advice, not trying to come across as jerks.

EANB said:
The first thing everyone is going to do when they see an option like this is to vote for it..

True, unless the project idea is really good (and that's not the case here, if you ask me).

AgentOrange said:

Sorry, but if you'd want to make it Doom 3 inspired you'd just have weapons, monsters and atmosphere similar but not exactly alike Doom 3 and add completely new levels. If you are just making the Doom 3 levels in classic Doom it's a remake, not an "inspired wad."