Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi. I have tried making a scroll door test wad that should make the doors open like an elevator door. It works, but the texture is always there and acts as a veil that can be walked over. Any reason what im doing wrong? heres the demo:- (i do apologize for uploading it to filefront, but rapidshare seems to be down :(.

http://files.filefront.com//;8361634;;/

Comparing the two wads , slidor.wad and your wad, the main difference is that slidor wad used a custom texture, ASHWALL1, which has transparency, your texture bigdoor2 does not. So it appears that the custom texture is doing exactly the same thing as your wad, it is just that the transparency is giving the illusion that the door has fully slid open

the iron hitman said:

Im mapping in zdoom (doom in doom format) and im using doombuilder, but i can only find a translucent tag. Where is the transparent tag in there?

You have to actually make a texture with transparent space, the same width as your door, on the side of your door texture. That way, when the door scrolls (opens), it puts the transparent part into view, so it looks like the door has opened. Otherwise it'd just be scrolling the door texture into itself, which doesn't accomplish the illusion at all.

the iron hitman said:

Ah so I'd have to create or edit a texture.......damn better put photoshop elements to work :(

I haven't actually done this sliding door thing myself, but I'm pretty sure it works like this:

Make a 64x64 completely-transparent (all cyan) graphic, import it as a patch.

Then use SLumpEd or XWE to add a new entry to TEXTURE1 in your wad (if you don't have one yet, it should be able to create it for you along with PNAMES).

In the newly-created entry, which you can name whatever you want, set the height to your door's height (probably 64, 72, or 128), and the width to twice your door's width.

Find the patch with the door texture you want, and put it on either the left or the right side.

Then tile the 64x64 transparent patch you made across the empty space, making sure that you fill the entire space with it. I think ZDoom-based ports can handle rendering a texture with actual blank space (i.e. not filled in with a patch), but Boom-based ports will crash if you try it, so be sure to fill in the blank space with the transparent patch you made.

Hope this helps!

If you master this and since you are mapping for zdoom , you don't need to make a TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lump. Just make with XWE two marker entries, TX_START and TX_END, and place your new texture between these markers.

the graphic part is actually the least difficult.
if you already have everything else finished it would be a waste to not create a cyan box in a graphics program and then place it in your wad.

When I get better at graphic creation I'll attempt that

Here, i made it for you:

Took forever in photoshop, that.