Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Icarus

Doom II Remakes?

I've just had a thought, what with all of the Doom 1 remakes floating about (KDIZD being the obvious one, as well as plenty of E1/2 remakes)

Are there any Good remakes, reinterpretations or reworkings of Doom II out there?

If not, who's up for making one ;)

Eternal prepares for release of first episode (map01-map11) of Doom2 Remain. It is vanilla-compatible project and will be released soon.

No, Rebirth is a full game replacement megawad, but not a remake of Hell on Earth.

The first couple of levels in The Rebirth are a bit reminiscent of the originals, but then it starts to change considerably.

Note that a TC is a wad that makes extensive changes to the resources in order to turn the game into something based off some concept from the author's own imagination, a movie, a game, a comic book, etc. So while The Rebirth makes some sprite and texture changes, it's by not means a TC either.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

One time I played a mod for Q3A that turned everything underwater, forcing you to search for oxygen as well as weapons and enemies to kill. How about everyone stops trying to JUST remake Doom II, and instead add a twist such as this?

I would like to see a Doom 2 megawad where each level is based on the original in terms of theme, textures, approximate size and difficulty, etc. Not a "remake" of the levels but 32 new levels each of which reminds the player of the corresponding original.

Linguica said:

I would like to see a Doom 2 megawad where each level is based on the original in terms of theme, textures, approximate size and difficulty, etc. Not a "remake" of the levels but 32 new levels each of which reminds the player of the corresponding original.

So, Flashback 2? That'd be cool. I think Torn is done with Doom mapping for a while after Flashback is finished, though.

I'd like a remake of the city levels of DOOM 2, that take place in an apocalyptic city like the DOOM II cover art (damn only in multiplayer you can face a cyberdemon more or less like that). Maps with the same level of architecture as these from DOOM 1 (including E4), but (unlike the DOOM II maps) looking more like human made enviroments not maps that if you add a hellish sky you think there's nothing odd. Visiting places like a metro station, a train terminal, more ruined cities (a bit more realistic than map13), a shopping, some city decoration sprites, like crashed cars, fire stingers, and these placed in the street (don't know how you call them in English), these things that regulate the traffic (dunno how you call them in English, in Spanish we call them semáforos), and what not, you get the idea. All with a DOOM II cover art atmosphere (with enough variation to keep the player interested, not just a shitload of ruined buildings).

I don't have nothing against remakes as far as they don't get stuck remaking always the same maps (yet KDiZD is a big exception).

Vegeta said:

I'd like a remake of the city levels of DOOM 2, that take place in an apocalyptic city like the DOOM II cover art (damn only in multiplayer you can face a cyberdemon more or less like that). Maps with the same level of architecture as these from DOOM 1 (including E4), but looking more like human made enviroments not maps that if you add a hellish sky you think there's nothing odd. Visiting places like a metro station, a train terminal, more ruined cities (a bit more realistic than map13), a shopping, some city decoration sprites, like crashed cars, fire stingers, and these placed in the street (don't know how you call them in English), these things that regulate the traffic (dunno how you call them in English, in Spanish we call them semáforos), and what not.

Ditto, but that would take a hell of a long time. Unless a team is willing to build a map which would probably take over 10,000 linedefs. Possibly, but would look very nice!

Vegeta said:

I'd like a remake of the city levels of DOOM 2, that take place in an apocalyptic city like the DOOM II cover art (damn only in multiplayer you can face a cyberdemon more or less like that). Maps with the same level of architecture as these from DOOM 1 (including E4), but looking more like human made enviroments not maps that if you add a hellish sky you think there's nothing odd. Visiting places like a metro station, a train terminal, more ruined cities (a bit more realistic than map13), a shopping, some city decoration sprites, like crashed cars, fire stingers, and these placed in the street (don't know how you call them in English), these things that regulate the traffic (dunno how you call them in English, in Spanish we call them semáforos), and what not, you get the idea. All with a DOOM II cover art atmosphere (with enough variation to keep the player interested, not just a shitload of ruined buildings).

I don't have nothing against remakes as far as they don't get stuck remaking always the same maps (yet KDiZD is a big exception).

dooooooooooooooooooooommmmm2projjjjjjeeeeeccccccttttttttttttttttttt

Linguica said:

Yeah, just like that :)

Thats sort of what I was after.

Linguica said:

Linguica, I do believe someone called hnsolo77 over on the zdoom forums is undertaking (and on the verge of completing with a team) such a task. Look him up on that forum. Also, this video provides further info:-

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iNXxod7ZcBg

Vegeta said:

these things that regulate the traffic (dunno how you call them in English, in Spanish we call them semáforos), and what not, you get the idea.

Traffic lights.

the iron hitman said:

Ditto, but that would take a hell of a long time. Unless a team is willing to build a map which would probably take over 10,000 linedefs. Possibly, but would look very nice!

10,000 is really not that many. My map for CC3 has 9,200+ linedefs and it's pretty reasonably sized.

I tried to undertake an absolutely absurd single-level project that took place in a full UAC base with just about everything you could imagine. I finished maybe 5% of the level, which was 3590 sectors and 15,201 linedefs but then WadAuthor crapped out on me and stopped being able to take any more. And since I'm too stubborn/lazy/busy with more important things to learn a new editor I pretty much just gave up on it.

I'd also like to see a remake where maps actually look like ruined cities, overrun military bases, and places that look like they sever a function rather brown room, gray room with slime, computer room ect.

My biggest disappointment with KDiZD is that the maps looked like they where taken from quake 2 rather then a mars base.

Apparently I'm not the only one.

Vegeta said:

I'd like a remake of the city levels of DOOM 2, that take place in an apocalyptic city like the DOOM II cover art (damn only in multiplayer you can face a cyberdemon more or less like that). Maps with the same level of architecture as these from DOOM 1 (including E4), but (unlike the DOOM II maps) looking more like human made enviroments not maps that if you add a hellish sky you think there's nothing odd. Visiting places like a metro station, a train terminal, more ruined cities (a bit more realistic than map13), a shopping, some city decoration sprites, like crashed cars, fire stingers, and these placed in the street (don't know how you call them in English), these things that regulate the traffic (dunno how you call them in English, in Spanish we call them semáforos), and what not, you get the idea. All with a DOOM II cover art atmosphere (with enough variation to keep the player interested, not just a shitload of ruined buildings).

Congratulations, you just gave me an idea for another megawad project I'm going to make.

Hitherto said:

No. Just one man (and steamship =).
It's now released: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=15094

Holy shit, this is an amazing level set, one of the best remakes ever! I have longed to play a proper Doom2 remake for a while and this one really fits the bill. I urge everyone who likes Doom2 to try this out and hope to see it on this year's Cacowards.

I can't wait to play the rest of the levels. You are making them, right?

LordK said:
You are making them, right?

No, but he's credited as a beta tester in the text file.

myk said:

No, but he's credited as a beta tester in the text file.

This man tested the project in vanilla and has found tons of places with VPO and I have to say that it is very hard and annoying work.

Captain Red said:

I'd also like to see a remake where maps actually look like ruined cities, overrun military bases, and places that look like they sever a function rather brown room, gray room with slime, computer room ect.

My biggest disappointment with KDiZD is that the maps looked like they where taken from quake 2 rather then a mars base.

Apparently I'm not the only one.

Ever play Phobos? It's in the Ten years of wads

I did and thought it was pretty good, especially keeping in mind when it was made.

@Captain Red: Being really nit-picky here, but (aside from Doom 3 and its expansion), no Doom games are set on mars. Thus, KDiZD wasn't really supposed to look like a mars base anyway 'cos its set on Phobos ;). Also there are no existing Mars Bases that I'm aware of, so it's hard to say what really constitues your average mars base.

If it means comparing Quake 2 levels to the original Doom levels, then I think the only comparison between Quake II and KDiZD is that both are much more detailed than Doom.