Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CylonAndrew

[False] Warning: ZDaemon [antivirus error]

HI, I'm new here but I have to inform you all of a very serious danger. When I installed ZDaemon, my anti-virus program imidiatly detected a Virus on one of the ZDaemon files. It was a Trojan. I imidiatly removed the virus and the program. I know many of you use it to play Doom Multyplayer so I thought it may be a good idea to inform you of this danger.

That's been discussed repeatedly (unless it's something new). It should be a "false positive", and not a true danger.

Although, if one thinks about it, the ZDaemon team could well put a notice on their main page stating that certain AVs may invoke certain messages about some apps... to help users not get concerned.

The main reasons that some AV heuristics pick it up is because of the way the updater watches for updates and automatically downloads them. I think it actually reports back to the server, runs scripts etc. so some AV programs don't like that either.

Because it does some of the same things a virus does, yet is NOT a virus.

From Here: Quote
http://forums.zdaemon.org/viewtopic.php?p=183311&sid=dffece2e84dcb3831b2fd32993e37942
"BTW, a "Generic Trojan" isnt always a Trojan, it just "looks" like a trojan.

That is the updater I wrote for ZSL, it downloads information (to check for new updates), it deletes the old files, downloads the new ones, runs a script, starts and stops processes ect... all of which look very suspicious to AVG which I found out the hard way (it deleted all my beta zips on my webserver).

It's a False Positive. please do a search next time.

One of these days I'm gonna have to try and tinker around with the updater to see if I can get it to not look so suspicious to AVG, only problem is there is no information on the web on AVG's criteria for being flagged as a possible trojan."

So, it does act like a Trojan, yet is not.