Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Janizdreg

Adrian Carmack's Cyberdemon & Baron sketches

I lost the Baron of Hell & Cyberdemon sketch scans in a hard drive crash, and now the id Museum site that used to host them is dead too. So, if anyone still has them on their hard drive, web site or whatever and is willing to share, I'd be thankful.

What's the story behind those sketches? Were they preliminary or some sort of special edition/unreleased work?

I wish id included a poster with one of these on Final DOOM's box.

myk said:

Yeah, those. Thanks :)

EDIT:

Maes said:

What's the story behind those sketches?

AFAIK they simply were the basis for the actual Baron of Hell & Cyberdemon sculptures that the in-game sprites were based on.

Csonicgo said:

nice.. but, where's the baron's nose? :(

*Insert typical joke involving Micheal Jackson here.*

In seriousness, really nice sketches. BTW what is that print on the bottom right corner of the Cyberdemon sketch?

lupinx-Kassman said:

In seriousness, really nice sketches. BTW what is that print on the bottom right corner of the Cyberdemon sketch?

Those look like scans from "The Book of id" from The id Anthology. The text is from that.

Enjay said:

Those look like scans from "The Book of id" from The id Anthology. The text is from that.

The Baron is from the Anthology, I don't remember seeing the Cyberdemon there though. For some reason it reminds me of one seen on one of the old titlepics.

While id made their monster sprites with this professional method. Apogee made their characters taking pics of their employees wearing disguises.

DJShrimpy said:

I don't remember seeing the Cyberdemon there though.

Just checked. It's there, a few pages from the end.

Csonicgo said:

nice.. but, where's the baron's nose? :(

I always wondered that too...official art always portrayed monsters quite differently, especially the baron: on the original Doom box cover its snout is quite baboon-like, while the sketches make him appear more "evil goat" like, with a flat nose. In the game he somehow manages to look halfway that, although the model was clearly (?) based on the sketch.

The creature in the artwork used as a base for the title pic (or at least the marine on it) isn't really any of the game's monsters. It's more or less a generic monster that shares some resemblance with the ones in DOOM (i.e., Demon, Cyberdemon, Imp, and Baron of hell).

The missing nose is not in any way odd or suprising, and the sprite isn't detailed enough for one to tell if it's there or missing, but check out the green marble Baron's face texture (MWALL5_1 patch) found in E2M8. The more notable difference appears to be that the one in the sketch has skinned legs, while the sprite seems to have brownish fur.

In the sketch, he looks to me to have an almost skull-like nose where the fleshy parts have gone and all that is left is the bony cavity.

myk said:

The missing nose is not in any way odd or suprising, and the sprite isn't detailed enough for one to tell if it's there or missing, but check out the green marble Baron's face texture (MWALL5_1 patch) found in E2M8.

*snaps fingers*

Dammit, that's what it looked like! I still find the "barons" on the box cover quite baboon-like, though...but I guess in 1993 games still weren't immune from conveying one visual impression through the box/cover/promo art and another through the game (*cough cough* Barbarian). Not that anyone would like baboon-faced barons now, would he?

myk said:

The more notable difference appears to be that the one in the sketch has skinned legs, while the sprite seems to have brownish fur.

pants?