Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
BoldEnglishman

maps and/or reviews by id staff

Just a couple of things I was wondering:

1) Have any of the official id mappers released custom WADs either before or after their official levels were released? Where can I find them? I've searched the idgames database but are there anymore? (For example I heard John Romero released a custom level somewhere down the line but there's only a demo in the idgames database)

2) Have any of the official id staff reviewed any Doom PWADs at all? I remember seeing something about John Romero playing KDiZD but I couldn't find any mention of it on his website.

Thx all

EDIT: Removed a stupid question

I remember seeing an American McGee deathmatch map on one of my many 1990s WAD compilation CDs. It was alright.

The difference between American and Willits is that the former was an "official" level designer (who released his DM level while being so), while the latter was a recruited community member who had released levels, though he became "official" id mapper later. So the only parallel free release by a DOOM level designer would be American McGee's DM level.

BoldEnglishman said:
I heard John Romero released a custom level somewhere down the line but there's only a demo in the idgames database

The level release is a false rumor, likely resulting from a comment he made where he said he had started a level (which never went far apparently, since he had said it was hard to get back into DOOM mapping after so much time). The demos were recorded in Doom Legacy for Knee Deep in the Dead special at Doomcenter.

2) Have any of the official id staff reviewed any Doom PWADs at all? I remember seeing something about John Romero playing KDiZD but I couldn't find any mention of it on his website.

In the early days they made some brief passing comments about some prominent or controversial wads, but nothing like a reveiw. The KDiZD thing you saw was a quote from an email message from John posted by a couple of the KDiZD members. Whether he played more than a bit is unclear, because he highlighted the starting sequence in his comment. Given he's deep in the production of a game I doubt he has more time than a passing glance at any addons nowadays.