Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup." :)

I think its:
'Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle, and quick to anger.'
-OR-
'Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle, and quick to anger.'
One of these is from the book (someone tell me the chapter!), another is from a sound file I had. It was probably taken from the Bakshi version, though I'm not sure.

Actualy, I have heard lament's quote before, but I think it was dragons not wizards.

Well, you may say in response to that: are regular people, you and I, then not our own masters? While to myself I understand that regular people do not have mastery over themselves in the sense that Tom Bombadil does, I don't know how to explain it, other than what I've just said. Well, that's how I understand it. So, umm..., you're right Danarchist, it would only confuse the masses. ;) But what is this Maiar you speak of? I don't remember this relic, if I've guessed the right word for labeling it.

Actualy I was referring to regular people, as opposed to us Tolkien-geeks. :)

In The Fellowship Of The Ring there is a very brief account of what the Nazgûl see when Frodo has the ring on and what they see when he doesn't. If anyone happens to know where this is in the book, I'd much appreciate it. I think it's near the end of Book 1, in A Knife in the Dark or Flight to the Ford.

I'm lost... what were you referring to regular people, opposed to Tolkien-geeks?

Us = Tolkien-geeks: Understand why Tom can't be corrupted (he's a Maiar if you didn't know)
Them = Normal people: Normal audience, don't know who Tom is.

I know this may come as a shock to everyone here and may cause some people to have heart attacks but here goes...I still haven't seen the movie. I have been meaning to but I am a poor aussie who can't afford the dosh to see it. damm I hate being poor.....

But I plan to see it in the next few days...so all is well.

It forever destroyed my faith in movies and my will to go to a theatre.

and the will to leave the house for any reason, soon after.. :)

Yeah, I guess I can blame that on American Psycho as well.

I didn't even bother to see that thing.

Lucky you.

Yes, but what is a Maiar? I have no recollection of this from the book.

You need to read the Silmarillion, I can't be arsed to explain it... or you could search some tolkien site.

I'm 2 or 3 miles from Catamount ski are on the Egremont/Hillsdale town line. How far away from Catamount do you live?

I'm about 6-8 miles north of Catamount. Sorta halfway between route 23 and route 71.
Seeing the name Jug end reminded me of many drunken days floating around Gilder pond on a raft in Mt. Washington State Park. :)

Me and my friends used to go into Jug End when there were old, abandoned buildings there from the days it used to be a resort. We used to explore the buildings and once nearly burnt one of them down. We made a giant fire in the one of the building's fireplace and then left without putting the fire out when people came yelling. Soon after the fire department came and prevented what would have potentially taken out all the buildings in the area. All that happened was a chimney fire lucky for us. All we got was a slap on the wrist when they later found out we did it.

Btw, are you right over the mass/ny line?

From the Silmarilion:
Maiar: Ainur of a lesser degree than the Valor. (singular Maia). :)

Okay, so I don't sound like an ass, here's more definitions:
Ainur: 'The Holy Ones' (singular Ainu); the first beings created by Iluvatar, the 'order' of the Valar and Maiar, made before Ea.
Ea: The World, the Material Universe; Ea meaning in Elvish 'It is' or 'Let it Be', was the word of Iluvatar when the world began its existance.
Iluvatar: 'Father of All'
Valar: 'Those with Power', 'The Powers' (singular Vala); name given to those great Ainur who entered into Ea at the beginning of Time, and assumed the function of guarding and governing Arda.

Heh...I'm a nerd...I think Bombadil is one of the Valar actualy, either Aule or Orome. Gee, you sure are missing a lot since my ASCII funtions are broken.

I think I might read The Silmilliron (or howerver the hell you say it) after I reat LOTR. Is it written like a novel?

Yes, it is like a novel. I just started reading it myself. Think of it as something like the bible...

Actually, mewse found them. We came up with the idea of a mewseCult(tm) about a year ago, and he put up a mewseCult(tm) page with those pictures and basically the same text.

Then I had another brilliant idea and decided to try to make a template sort of cult page, using mewse's page as a base. I never did do all that much on it and fraggle eventually ended up writing the majority of the code.

Try http://mewse.cult.despayre.org:81/ and http://fraggle.cult.despayre.org:81/ ... or anything dot cult, for that matter.

Heh, avatar <-.

Lüt spoils my fun again! Well, at least he didn't edit the sig this time. I'll accept I am a Dork but Nuno might not like it..