Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captainblue

Your most epic maneuvers

Ever scrape through a level by the skin of your teeth? Ever shotgun a Baron of Hell to death when you were atone hit away from dying? Ever dodge a flurry of imp fireballs to get a medikit that brought you up to 30% health? Share your stories here!

I had one just today. I jumped to E2M5 on Ultra-Violence and decided to try it from a pistol start. With a combination of monster infighting, luck with items, and secret areas, I got very close to the end. The problem? I still had to get through a Braon of Hell and a Cacodemon, and I had about 17% health. Worse, I hadn't played the level for awhile, so I didn't know they were there.

I open the door, see the Baron, and blaze past him. I'm looking everywhere for a medikit - surprise, there's the Cacodemon waiting for me! I run by and shotgun him, but before I get away he hits me with a lightning ball - knocking me down to 3% health. But then, YES, it's the exit door! And YES, no monsters in the exit room!

After I hit the exit switch, I quickly get my ass handed to me in E2M6.

Well, I recall dying nearly immediately the first time i played E1M8. The first time you hear the Baron's war cry is truly a harrowing experience.
And I pretty much pushed through all of Hell Revealed 2 with 5% or less health.
I've been in a fist-only situation quite a few times, mainly because I have crappy aim.

Had to pummel a couple of Baron with Invincibilty in Unholy Cathedral once, that count?

The most fun epic move is the Demon surfing; Jump on a crowd of demons with the saw aimed at their heads and run back and forth till most of them are dead. Then jump off and saw the last few :)
Awesome fun.

Ah yes, I remember demon surfing (sadly it doesnt work right in GZDoom anymore for me).

Except I used the rocket launcher or chaingun to mow them down.

If cheap tricks allowed by source ports count, then yeah, running on top of a hostile mob became my immediate favourite as soon as I discovered it. Also hiding behind a tree with an angry cybie shooting rockets in vain in my general direction, or decimating a mob of barons hidden behind said tree using hitscan weapons :-)

Other notable maneuvers (not so cheap):

Punching through windows with berserker pack in a couple of maps, killing tought monsters in advance from relative safety and without wasting ammo :-)

Dodging tons of angry revenant missiles behind a pixel-thin column.

Captainblue said:

Your most epic maneuvers

There was this thing I did at the battle of Tanaab... ;)

The entirety of E4 on UV without taking any damage. But to my suprise, he was scratched on the endgame picture! :P

Icarus said:

The most fun epic move is the Demon surfing; Jump on a crowd of demons with the saw aimed at their heads and run back and forth till most of them are dead. Then jump off and saw the last few :)
Awesome fun.

This only works in source ports that allow things to be on top of other things.

udderdude said:

This only works in source ports that allow things to be on top of other things.

Like hiding behind trees to avoid rockets and fireballs ;-)

Trying to avoid that wandering cyberdemon in level 26 of Memento Mori 2. Especially if you die and have to start of with the pistol and a shotgun, it took me a few tries to beat that level.

I was on some sewer level with under 5% health, looking for anything medical. I heard a wakeup sound and turned quickly, expecting to die, a Chaingunner was right in front of me, and the firing frames where playing, and even the firing SOUND was playing, but i still SSG'd him into oblivion before the actual shot was fired. That was cool.

One of these days i'm determined to beat cava.wad from a pistol start, it'll take a lot of running, infighting and weaving to position clouds of chasing revenant rockets on caco's. But first i've got to manage to beat it after IDFA-ing at the start. I was doing pretty well taking it one building at a time, but havent gone back to the save in a while

This was from Quake TF a few years ago:

I was playing 2fort5 with about 16 people on the sol.net CustomTF server. I was playing as my usual judo soldier class on the blue team, which had a decent lead, but the red team was slowly eating away at that lead.

I had just made a capture, went to the upper resupply room, and was on my way to make yet another capture. By about the front door of the red base, I was hit rather hard with a spy gas grenade or two, and I think, a rocket. After it was all over, I had 174 red armor and 1 health. I was already in the enemy base, so I really had no choice but to continue on. I made my way up the ramps in the ramp room...no one around. I made my way down the spiral ramp to the basement...no one around. I made my way to the flag...no one around. The pipebomb laying demoman that was usually down there must have been busy elsewhere. By this time, the spectator who was, well, spectating must have noticed me, because he said something like, "somebody come sneeze on brain." For a second, I didn't think anything of it, until I realized that he was talking about me (I was [Nerd]Brain, and also I had forgotten about my low health by then).

I grabbed the flag, and started my way back up...still no one around, although there was an enemy soldier who went towards the elevator and didn't see me. I went back up the spiraling ramps...no one around. About halfway, I heard the sounds of a fairly intense battle. I waited a second or two until it was over (normally, I'd just plow right on through), then I continued on, intending to drop down that grate. However, there was a sentry gun and its creator there. He was busy tending to his gun (upgrading, adding ammo, hacking, etc.) to notice me right away. I swiped his weapon (judos can steal other people's weapons for a short time), and the sentry gun started to fire at me...instead killing the engineer that was in the way. I made my way to the outside deck and there were two snipers right next to each other facing the other way. I continued on behind them, past the enemy capture point, and on to the other side, where no one was nearby. I dropped down to the ground below, fully expecting for the snipers to make sure that only my head reaches my base, but they didn't seem to notice me. There was a great deal of action outside around the blue base, and a little near the red base, but somehow I managed to sneak by and make it into the water. Now all I had to do was just make it through the underwater tunnel back to the blue base. No one was following me, but I did see an errant pipebomb or two from a battle up above. I got out of the water, climbed the spiral stairs, then headed up to capture the flag.

All this with a single health point.

By this time, the spectator was going nuts. I wouldn't have been surprised if he fell out of his chair laughing.

Tried something like this, pretty hard but really fun though:
(This involves Source Port Fun and normal)
1. -Normal- Fighting 3 barons with only the shotgun and at 12% health, and what else there were 4 cacos in a spot where they snipe me and couldn't get them to infight the barons.
2. -Source Port- Yeah, pretty much a type of surfing, but with mass of monsters though, jump and alway run, doing that helped me get rid of like 2 barons and 6 hell knights cause of the type of area it was, infought with several demons and like 20 imps and 3 mancubi.
3. -Normal- Fist fighting 4 barons with beserk, wasn't very fun, nearly died, but that was it for that part.

Getting a baron to commit barrel suicide in v1.9.

Making it through a level in Action Doom when I'm down to only 1% health.

Killing a cyberdemon with less than 300 bullets.

Waded through 3 cybers to get to an exit on one level...Not fun. Strafing back and forth in a hall 20 steps wide 40 steps long. You don't get that much running room...

going through E4M6 with an psycopathic urge to take no damage whatsoever. UV too. That lava.... ugh....

Finishing E4 with starting pistol is a feat in and of itself.

But yeah, I think my best move was killing a Cyberdemon with fists. I did have the berserk pack, though...

In skulltag, combine doomsphere, spread rune, timefreeze, and berserk and see how many cyberdemons you can kill before your time runs out

GGG said:
Getting a baron to commit barrel suicide in v1.9.

That was fixed long before v1.9. What you can achieve is making them fight each other, but not harm themselves.

Did a few (short)runs in that cava wad. Don't know the level at all yet. My initial route is grabbing the invisibility , going to the exit room, taking the chaingun, killing the cyberdemon by telefragging, taking the plasmagun. The rest I have to explore. I hope there is a demo somewhere because there is so much interfering when you try to explore that level.
I played eleven from that yay contest. It has hordes of monsters and monster killing or fire/retreat is not always an option. Instead it gives you insane amount of weapons and health matching the amount of monsters. So after many intense and massive battles I was in the last part of the yellow key area facing 2 cyberdemons. I could take direct hits, there was room, I had a fully loaded bfg, start firing and thought everything went well but I didn't check my health while fighting them. And then I was dead. Blastdamage.

myk said:

That was fixed long before v1.9. What you can achieve is making them fight each other, but not harm themselves.

And that's exactly why it was such an epic maneuver.

I once got a PE to commit lost soul suicide. It was awesome. It took me just 1 hour of focused attention to make it happen.

Maes said:

I once got a PE to commit lost soul suicide. It was awesome. It took me just 1 hour of focused attention to make it happen.

That is awesome.

GGG said:
And that's exactly why it was such an epic maneuver.

Ah, I see what you mean. It died from the Barrel damage, not from clawing himself.

Getting the cyberdemon in tenements (coop) stuck against a wall and boxing him to death while my mate was doing the rest of the level.

I think my most epic maneuver was beating alien vendetta on UV

RightField said:

Getting the cyberdemon in tenements (coop) stuck against a wall and boxing him to death while my mate was doing the rest of the level.

Where is the Cyberdemon in Tenements located? I can't quite recall...