Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stealthy Ivan

How did you feel when you first finished Doom 1

I remember when I finally beat Doom 1! I had a great feeling of accomplishment! It put me in a really good mood the rest of that day, and I had called my friend to talk about the game since he had already finished it (I had to brag :P)! It took me about 6 months of playing a few hours a day to beat it!
What was it like for you?

I kinda expected a different (more spectacular?) ending, and I also raised an eyebrow at the ambiguity of the ending, which didn't appear all that triumphant, especially with that bunny head on a stake :-(

Also initially I was convinced the game didn't have an end because I cheated (shame, shame, tsk tsk...) and warped to E3M9 (no idea there were secret levels, I just read the cheat codes from a magazine and warped to what I thought was the final level).

I still haven't bothered to learn how the secret levels are reached in Doom and Doom 2, but that's another story I guess...

I don't honestly remember what I felt or thought. I kind of recall having a hard time finishing E1, though, because I hardly strafed.

I know I played Knee Deep in the Dead first, then DOOM II, and some PWADs, and eventually, after perhaps a couple of years, the rest of DOOM.

Maes said:
I still haven't bothered to learn how the secret levels are reached in Doom and Doom 2, but that's another story I guess...

lol noob

Maes said:I still haven't bothered to learn how the secret levels are reached in Doom and Doom 2, but that's another story I guess... [/B]

Tsk tsk, You aren't a tr00 d00m f4n.

I remember completing the GBA version first (Where E2M9 is the final level) and thinking "Nice. Now for UV."
In hindsight, all of Inferno on the GBA port is fucked.

myk said:

lol noob

Yup, in that occasion I feel that qualifies me as one :-)

I did find the secrets in TNT and Plutonia though...and in Ultimate Doom, Episode 4 for some reason.

When I beat Knee-deep in the dead shareware I felt puzzled. Where is the marine? When I got the full game years later and played through it I was even more puzzled and a bit depressed.

How he got from near death to full health with just a pistol and 50 bullets, I will never understand.

i had a used version of the SNES doom, and it made no sense to me at all. there was no bunny ending either. and the graphics sucked. i did feel slightly happy about it tho... when i saw doom64 (i never had it for PC until 3 years ago, i didnt even know it could be modded until just last year) i was truly amazed. i was slightly let down by the pc version, just having completed Doom 64

By the time Doom came out, I was already an experienced and skilled gamer. Still, I had never played a game like Doom before, so I decided to play it on the easiest difficulty. That was a good decision on E1, where I was struggling to get used to the controls. The later episodes became too easy, so I felt no great elation upon finishing the game, and just continued to Doom 2.

Then I compounded on my mistake and still played on 'I'm too young to die'. I realized on map 12 or so that the game was far too easy for me, but trucked stubbornly on regardless.

After those disappointments I went on to finish both games on UV and was much more entertained :)

I didn't mind the ending in Doom, really (as it isn't much of an ending in the first place)

When I finished Doom, I played through it again on a higher skill setting. Eventually, I had played through the game on all five skill settings (and since this was in the 1.2 days i didn't play it on UV -fast or respawn). Then I got Doom II, which I only played through in Ultra-violence. I tried Nightmare in Doom II also, but I've never made it past map02. :o And the ending in Doom II is worse than Doom's.

Well I had Doom II YEARS before I ever got a hold of the original, and I've never been one for trying out demo's of games so I never played the Shareware by itself.

Plus, before I played Doom II, I watched my brother play it. He accidentally found IDDQD (I swear it was accidental because we didn't have an internet connection to find out what cheat codes are). He spent hours and hours on MAP30 killing stuff and just buggered around on the keys and it activated.

Anyway basically I was so so so so young when my brother first completed Doom II, that I can't remember what I felt. I can't even remember it full stop. I might not of even been there.

BUT

When I first completed Doom 1, I just felt "OK, that's it. I've done the original Doom". I think I thought about how the marine would then go on into Doom II. I actually think overall I was suprised.

Suprised to find a Spider Mastermind as the boss of Doom I (always being familiar as it being a really tough enemy in Doom II).

Back in 1993, when I first finished Doom1 shareware (E1M8) the first though I had was to go out and get the full version (but I've managed to find in a store Ultimate Doom a year or 2 later, as well as Doom2).
When I've finished Doom2 I said: now what??? Thankfull for all the mappers around here who provide the Doom comunity with new levels...
NOTE: I've finished Doom2 - level 30 only once without cheating, a long - long time ago..... Now, old enough with my reaction a bit slower if I find difficulties .. IDDQD.

In hindsight, what I remember most is that each episode took less time and fewer tries to finish than the one before, despite being more difficult, because my marksmanship and "court vision" were continually improving. That, combined with my new-found editing knowledge (from fixing all those fatal bugs in PWADs), was quite a jab for my self-esteem — in general, never mind in gaming!

I had played Doom only sporadically for years (before I could finally afford a more powerful computer), so I decided to express my great love for the game by doing a max run with 100% items for each episode. I can't honestly say I recommend this approach; while it does give you a rush when you see those first two perfect intermission screens, by the seventh level or so, you're creeping through each room in a cold sweat, frantically flipping back and forth through your maps, wondering if you've forgotten something. (Doom II was actually easier in this regard, even though it had more levels, because the "open field" potions and helmets were greatly toned down.) I remember playing E4M8 feeling like I had cinder blocks tied to my shoulders and elbows. I just wanted it to be over.

But to answer StealthyIvan's question, after the initial feeling of relief had passed, I was infuriated that there were no more levels to play, so a day or two later I dug out my Maximum Doom disc. I realize that people on this forum could have warned me about that. :>

My first thought was wtf how did I die when I killed all the monsters in that little room I teleported into, cause I killed them after teleporting.

Then I didn't get how the marine comes back to life for episode 2.

And after the next two episodes... I guess I was just happy, cause I could say yeah fool, I beat Doom, say something.

Inferno said:

My first thought was wtf how did I die when I killed all the monsters in that little room I teleported into, cause I killed them after teleporting.

Then I didn't get how the marine comes back to life for episode 2.

And after the next two episodes... I guess I was just happy, cause I could say yeah fool, I beat Doom, say something.

I figured the marine was brought back to life cause he is going to hell, the demons will keep killing you and then bring you back to life just to kill you again! :)

I felt mad when I had to die. I had the shareware version at the time so I didnt really read that I needed to order the game. So I would go through a harder mode to only die again at the end. Then my cousin came over the next day with the full game. I was so pissed...