Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
loser

Redefining cheat codes using DeHackEd in ZDooM

This dehacked patch doesn't work in ZDooM:

--------------
Patch File for DeHackEd v3.0

# Note: Use the pound sign ('#') to start comment lines.

Doom version = 19
Patch format = 6

Cheat 0
Ammo & Keys = idabc
--------------

It doesn't give an error, but it's ignored. Everything else in the same patch works properly. That cheat remains "idkfa". Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Does anyone have an idea how to get this to work?

Hi there,

Cheat code changing got broken a while back (around beta 15???). Typing in cheats when the codes had been modified used to do something like give you a chainsaw and freeze out the keyboard, or something equally bizarre.

After a bit of discussion on the zdoom forum, the consensus seemed to be that dehacked patches that change the cheats were mainly viewed as a pain in the ass, and people could easily get round them with console commands anyway, or tended to just manually cut them out of the dehacked patches themselves.

Given the above, Randy fixed the bug by simply removing the ability to change cheat codes with dehacked.

BTW, how's things going in XWE land?

That's unfortunate. This is what I had in mind:

- Change the idchoppers cheat code to let's say "R"
- Write a script that is constantly running, and using the new CheckInventory function check for the presence of the chainsaw. If the user has it, take it away and do <whatever>. Plus of course we make sure that there are no chainsaws on the map, so the user cannot activate this function by picking one up.

The result? A new keyboard function. We can press this key on the map at any time (R for Radio) to do anything - talk to the base (if the player is on a mission) to get further instructions or help. This would have given a whole new level of interactivity to the map - nothing like this existed before. I wrote to Randy anyway. I think it still would be better if ZDooM supported this.

XWE is doing fine, you are the first one to ask about in a long time. It now supports ZDooM maps and the level editor now actually works for most things.

Could you not just achieve what you want by binding a script to a key?

You could distribute a config file with your WAD that has something like

bind r "puke 200"

and run zdoom like this

zdoom +exec loser.cfg

(Although from reading the newly published changelog, the +exec will not be necessary in future versions)

Anyway, without checking, this should bind the R key to run script 200 whenever it was pressed. No need for the constantly running script to check the inventory, and no need to remove the chainsaw as a placeable weapon.

Randy has also implemented a bunch of other cfg functions to allow you to add custom keybindings to the in game config menus, and to run cfg files on exit of the game too so that you could undo your bindings or whatever as the game quits. These should be available in the next release.

You can always count on Nigel for good ideas. Now if only he'd reconsider the whole Aspects deal, he'd undeniably be a god among men.

Hm..Dont support?? U must beeh usin a version im not.. (Using ZdoomBOT 5.1). Well i've never ran into any cheat problems, its better to make the cheats For these following cheats the same abmount of letters as the original, or sumtimes they font wokr.

IDCLEV (thats the biggest pain inda butt)
IDCHOPPERS
IDMYPOS (wut does that do anyway?? doesnt help any)

This dehacked patch doesn't work in ZDooM:

--------------

Ammo & Keys = idabc
--------------

It doesn't give an error, but it's ignored. Everything else in the same patch works properly. That cheat remains "idkfa". Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Does anyone have an idea how to get this to work?

Hm..r u sure u didnt put the cheat for "IDFA" instead?

DoomBot is based off Zdoom 1.22 right?

1.22 does support cheat changing.

Support for the cheat code changing was removed with one of the Zdoom 1.23 betas.

IDMYPOS - shows your position in the map as coordinates on the screen. This will give different effects in different ports. In Zdoom, it shows X, Y and Z coordinates when you are on the map screen. The original doom printed to the screen your position at the time of typing the code.

Loser wrote:

"- Write a script that is constantly running, and using the new CheckInventory function check for the presence of the chainsaw. If the user has it, take it away and do <whatever>. Plus of course we make sure that there are no chainsaws on the map, so the user cannot activate this function by picking one up."

Hmm. I would have thought that an easy-ish way to disable the chainsaw would be via Dehacked. Identify the frames for the chainsaw, then change the sprites, and remove the chainsaw attack code pointer.

This way, if the player enters a cheat code to get the chainsaw, they won't see any chainsaw graphics, and the (now-invisible) chainsaw won't do anything anyway.

Hmm. I would have thought that an easy-ish way to disable the chainsaw would be via Dehacked. Identify the frames for the chainsaw, then change the sprites, and remove the chainsaw attack code pointer.

This way, if the player enters a cheat code to get the chainsaw, they won't see any chainsaw graphics, and the (now-invisible) chainsaw won't do anything anyway.

Or just replace it with the fist.

If you saw my starbox example wad, I've been working on expanding that map in to a new series of WADs I plan on regularly uploading to /newstuff. In it, it has a working script for "interactive" speech (read: choose a response at a certain time) and radio. I've got two key binds, one which scrolls through the options or activates the radio (depends on whether the radio's on or not and whether there's already options up there) and the other selects the currently selected option. This script is an integral part of the WAD and I have set things up so that the player needs to use the radio to get out of his ship which just docked in the space station. I have had this script in place since before christmas last year and I haven't had any problems with it yet. The map will have branching plotlines and various ways to complete certain tasks... but enough of trying to advertise it, if you want I can send you what I have of the WAD so far so you can see a working example, and you could probably modify the script to your needs.

Sounds very interesting. I've been keen on seeing this ever since you mentioned "starbox" was being expanded into a full level. Glad to see you are working on it. Judging by doom arcade, it will have some very cunning scripts and effects in it.

More power to your elbow, or something.

yeah it will, and I'm going to try something with cameras to see how well it works. speaking of which, I still gotta finish up that moving camera tutorial...