Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SirTimberWolf

Unnamed Doom Project

So a week ago I got an email from an old friend of mine who has chosen to remain in the dark. . . This person was like "Hey, long time no see. . . Lend me your furry little ear for I have a tale to tell.

Thus was born an interesting and unique project, so uber and craptacular that there is no name for it! *ahem* Yeah so anyway, this project sounded reall cool, very cyberpunk and very cool. The idea combines the visual aspects and creepyness of Doom64 and the viceral combat classic of the series.

So what makes this different than normal doom?

Obviously the most basic change is: NEW MAPS! (omg!)

Some areas include:

A refinery
A terraformer (no, not doom 64, think aliens.)
A cyberpunk city in the vein of BladeRunner set on an isolated moon. I gotta say, I saw the concept sketches for this monster. . . My jaw dropped.

And yes, there's a hell episode too :) Shwwwweeett \m/

New weapons:

Pistol (This aint your classic pea shooter.)
Shotgun (behaves differently.)
Chaingun (Yep.)
Plasma Carbine (First draft of the model below)

I'd love to see some new monsters but I think that's a little outta the scale here. Most of it is based on the level design and stuff so. . .

This map is the first one in the campaign, it is a little power substation that has the player trying to turn the power back on to get access to the rest of the facility. The difficulty of this project lends it to co-op mode more than single player but from what I've been told it's going to be beatable on HMP or lesser. Ultra-violence is meant for co-oping so if that means anything. . . . On with the images.

Map01 (Substation3)

Weapon Model (draft):
Plasma Carbine

If you're interested in maybe signing up for this project, PM me with a sample of your work, preferably something related to this kind of theme and intensity. I'll see what happens but thanks for checkin it out. I'll post more soon.

That's really quite cool. I might be interested, buy by the quality of this work, it seems far beyond me ;)

Thanks for the compliments. I gotta say this is a new experience for me so it might not come off as 100% but I like what is being created. . . It's interesting :)

Don't worry about losing the "Doom feel" as long as you'll keep the Doom gameplay. Looking nice!

Yeah, the plasma carbine pictured there is going to be an (upgradable) version of the plasma rifle, using DECORATE. The shotgun, pistol and chaingun will probably just replace the stock ones but have different attributes, I wasn't told exactly how that was going to work.

From what I understand we have a title now: Darkened Skies and a WIP page soon too, sweet.

I can't say I like those textures just my opinion don't flame me for it, for me they ruin the doom feeling.

But if you like it I say go for it :)

Maya 7, then exported it with help from milkshape for use in game. gonna animate it and render it out as BMPs for the HUD weapon though, wish I could just use HUD models. . . Sadly GZDOOM doesn't support it :(

SirTimberWolf said:

Hmm? THe first shot or all 3 of them?

All three of them its just my personal taste no big deal really, it sure is possible to make an great map with them it just loses some of the old school look.

I mainly stick to textures that keep the doom feeling and usually those are textures that blend in well with the originals for me that has become really important lately I stick to the "keep the doom feeling" type of maps.

just out of curiosity, how does one accomplish that wall-glow effect? i've seen it in doom64, and I see it in the first screenshot, but how does it work?

If you look at the first screenshot, at the wall on the right, you can see a sliver of blue running along the floor infront of the wall. I imagine that has been given some sort of dynamic lighting property, like water and acid in Doomsday.

I could be wrong though, in fact I probably am :P