perfection	50
	reaction	50
	isp		50
	color		"ff cf cf"
	skin		base
	weaponpref	468753201
}
I know what all these values are for, but what I'm wondering is this:

Does a high reaction value mean the bot reacts more quickly or less quickly?

And by the same token, does a high isp value mean the bot retreats more often or less often?

the bots used in zdoom sucked. doom legacy had much better bots. i use to have gzdoom and unleashed and couldn't enjoy a deathmatch with those bots.

Indeed. The bots are completely broken and useless. Yet, several people don't want them to go away...

Broken and useless to you maybe, but there are quite the amount of people who won't want to/can't play with today's trashy online doom players with 360+ ping due to connection issues or personal issues. (particularily in asian countries with hardly any servers there).

Graf Zahl said:

Yet, several people don't want them to go away...

Me me me! ;)

but in legacy, there's some stupid bug with the timelimit, so you can only win a deathmatch by reaching the fraglimit. I still gzdoom for single player tho, but i don't like the opengl rendering, it looks bloody horrible. i just stick with software.

If it's broken, fix it :P I had some interesting ideas for improving on Cajun Bots' performance. As a small example, in zdoom if a Cajun bot's on nukage it stands still until it dies. Instead, generate node paths across nukage sectors (from a passable line to another) with a cost associated with each. The bot can evaluate the cost of getting to a nukage node and judge whether or not it can survive the run across with a reasonable amount of health left (bot's self-conservation level affecting how much it would sacrifice). This is more complicated, certainly, since it would require preprocessing all nukage-affected sectors to create the paths through them. But I think it would work fine.

981178 said:

but in legacy, there's some stupid bug with the timelimit, so you can only win a deathmatch by reaching the fraglimit. I still gzdoom for single player tho, but i don't like the opengl rendering, it looks bloody horrible. i just stick with software.

Protip: Display Options -> OpenGL options -> Texutre Filter Mode -> None or None (Mipmapped).

You take away bots, you lose console commands.

The most notable is Bot_observer. it enables a fly mode and notarget.
Then there's Freeze, which, does just that.

The bots are not stupid because of their code. They're stupid because Zdoom copied them from CajunBot0.91, which was originally a modified port of DOS Legacy but "updated" to Zdoom just before Martin Collberg dropped off the face of the internet. Zdoom has changed so much since 2000 that the bots no longer even know what to do, as the environment of zdoom has changed and the bots were not updated to work with the changes.

TheDarkArchon said:

Protip: Display Options -> OpenGL options -> Texutre Filter Mode -> None or None (Mipmapped).

No support for odd textures and 16/32bit color of no colormap atmosphere just doesn't cut it.

Quasar said:

If it's broken, fix it :P

Broken as in: Beyond repair. The bots were written for a completely differently working engine and just seem to be unable to cope with all the changes that have been introduced into ZDoom. Besides, there's nobody who understands the code fully and is willing to work on it.