Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stealthy Ivan

Largest level!?

What do you think is the largest Doom level ever made that still has some sort of game play value? My pick for this would be level 30 of Eternal Doom or a map 27 of Memento Mori 2. I have been looking to play a really large challenging map and was wondering if you peeps might know of a few for me to play? BTW only levels with a good game play please. :)

deus vult
and then there was this level in 1995 called Jihad that sticks out in my mind.
replaying it now, it's still decent but is very indicative of old mapping (too maze-like, multi-themed, etc.)
i still kind of like it though.

Now that I think about it, I remember some Caverns of Darkness level's being quite large (but then again, I played that years ago, and I guess I've seen larger since :P).

The last Scythe II map is a reasonable size, as is Map24.
But Deus Vult takes the cake because it had to be split into 4 sections just so some source ports would run it.

BoldEnglishman said:

The last Scythe II map is a reasonable size, as is Map24.
But Deus Vult takes the cake because it had to be split into 4 sections just so some source ports would run it.

That's only source ports which don't support > 32767 sidedefs. Currently there's a few that can run that level but at the time of release ZDoom was the only one.
However, if you look for amount of vertices/linedefs etc. the biggest one at the moment is KDIZD Z1M4 and unless editors can natively handle sidedef compression it can't get that much larger because there's a hard limit of the level format preventing it.

Deus Vult map05, but also Europe and Elegy for them Vigil are pretty large, at least in terms of linedefs/sidedefs.

In terms of extension, I think Europe easily beats them all. Deus Vult map05and Elegy for them Vigil, while large and varied, are more "packed" and lack the many open spaces of Europe.

Graf Zahl said:

That's only source ports which don't support > 32767 sidedefs.

I know, exactly why I said "so some source ports could run it" ;)

Still, I know it's not the most populated level (which is probably the first nuts) but pressing TAB and seeing 4000+ monsters to kill, well that was the start of a great experience when I first played DV ;)

rjspace9 is 32704 x 32704. Also, some plasma jumps in masterjumps9y are 31744+ units high (on some jumps you can even go through the ceiling and come out through the floor).

Some maps in Eternal Doom are probably at least as big as DV05 in terms of how much map canvas is covered. They just have less detail.

Stealthy Ivan said:

What do you think is the largest Doom level ever made that still has some sort of game play value?

Disregarding gameplaY, this question can be answered by extracting a level data off the wad and noting its filesize.

EDIT: I change my mind. Sidedefs occupy a too big portion of the file, because---see below.

Largest six Doom levels: E4M9! E2M7, E2M2, E4M7, E4M6, E3M5

Largest three Doom 2 levels: 14, 15, 19

Largest id Doom level ever: Inmost Dens. Congratulations id Software for making Doom2! :)

ANOTHER EDIT: The larger the level is on the computer, the more detailed it is, rather than longer, right?

printz said:

ANOTHER EDIT: The larger the level is on the computer, the more detailed it is, rather than longer, right?

The topic appears to concern level size or "length," where the player will have to play for well over an hour to make it to the end. A highly detailed map could be a very short excursion. And I doubt "size" is strictly limited to the total space used in the grid. (There have been enough giant-square-room crap maps that stretch to the grid limit.)

GGG said:

(There have been enough giant-square-room crap maps that stretch to the grid limit.)

Heh, they don't count. But I do remember chugging through piles of maps like that on D-zone and the Maximum cd. Brings back memories... Some of them were so horrible that you had to sit back and laugh! It was disappointing that most of the maps on the wad cd's were just filler.

printz said:

Largest id Doom level ever: Inmost Dens. Congratulations id Software for making Doom2! :)

Inmost Dens seemed pretty short to me. I think Industrial zone might be bigger.

I just compared map 1 of circus667.wad with map 5 of dv.wad and circus667 has higher numbers in vertices, things, ect with the exception of maybe physical size. Will it be a new record? Once playtesting is completed for it, I'll post a link or something so you all can judge for your selfs. But until circus667 is released, DV is probably the largest.

Magikal made two maps that are quite huge.

Industrial.wad. The max run takes about 2 hours.

And his Map 29 of Community Chest, A No Monsters run, 100% secrets takes nearly an hour if my memory serves.

They should be likely contenders for largest.

Biovite (occasional updates, i think it's on version 4 and i played through when it was 2) has some decent sized levels, and they all follow on from one another "directly". Some crazy person who didnt mind fiddling with scrips might be able to combine them all into one vast map. I was also once going to make a fantasy-themed "scenario wad" set on an island with seperate towns, mountain ranges, rivers, a mansion, swamps and a forest once, but didnt. Might still do it one day thoguh

Strife is practically the biggest map. While it's not ONE map, it's essentially the same thing, as the whole game is one big hub.