Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Skulltag/Zdoom screen shake

Is it possible to use Zdoom's screen shaking effect, (like the one on Z1M7 of KDiZD) show up when a rocket hits a wall near you, or like when the cyberdemon is walking, or if your firing a gun? Of course there would only be a minor shake because if the shake was too strong it would disrupt gameplay. But anyway, I think this could really improve the fast paced-ness in skulltag. is there anyway I could take advantage of it?

In most circumstances, yes. The quake is triggered by the Radius_Quake command which can be called from ACS, DECORATE and linedefs.

If you want to start a quake from exploding missile you have to keep it from disappearing though becasue otherwise the quake would use its origin point and disappear as well.

Hate to be a dick but I dont really know anything about ACS and DECORATE, do you mind posting up some example code I could use?

And I dont really know exactly what you mean in your second paragraph =P. Does that mean rockets would need a sprite that doesnt dissapear from existence?

JohnnyRancid said:

And I dont really know exactly what you mean in your second paragraph =P. Does that mean rockets would need a sprite that doesnt dissapear from existence?

No, you can use invisible sprites but the quake is removed when the object is removed from the game such as when the rocket finishes exploding.

well, you dont really need ACS you can use Radius_Quake with just decorate... if that helps any

Oh thats fine, I kinda imagined the screen shake to wear away even before the explosion dissapears. It would only be a minor screen shake. Is it possible to apply this to the chaingun firing, taking damage, and cyberdemon walking?

I've tried it, and I dont really like the Radius_quake effect for gun-related screenshakes.

(plus, if you are close enough to someone else using that weapon that shakes the screen, your screen will shake too)

You dont like it? can the shake be very subtle? and have a reeeeeeally small radius?

if its too small it will not have any effect at all.

But the kickup effects of each weapon in GZDA (in the link Janitor provided) are pretty much what I need, if only he kept the SCRIPTS lump (havent found one yet).

But I bet I can fidn out how he did it with a little searching...