Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Doom 2 episode names

As we know, Zdoom's MAPINFO lump can make doom into seperate episodes. I've been trying to come up with really great names for the episodes in doom 2, but the maps are all a little too random for me to pump out a single phrase that describes each 10-level part in Doom 2. I really liked Doom 1's Episode names, they sound like they could be titles of a movie. I kinda want to make some episode names along those lines. Can anyone spark up some ideas for episode names in Doom 2 that I could use? I'm currently trying to brainstorm some on my own.

Doom 2 E1 would be map01 to map11
Doom 2 E2 would be map12 to map21 (and map31-map32)
Doom 2 E3 would be map22 to map30

Or maybe I should make the episodes coincide with the text scenes.

Doom 2 doesn't have episodes in the same sense as Doom 1, but if you want to split it in chapters of sorts there are several ways: just split 30 levels in 3 parts, or divide them by theme (e.g. infested barracks/factories, urban settings, hell, etc.)

I knew that. I was under the impression that was clear. I know Doom 2 can be divided into episodes with MAPINFO. But instead of making them sound boring like "Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3" I want to give them some awesome names like "Knee-Deep in the Dead, The Shores of Hell, or Inferno", except I dont want to use those because they dont describe the situation in Doom 2 like they do to Doom 1. So I want to make episode names that fit the Doom 2 style. I know how to do it, I just need help brainstorming some good episode names for what could be episodes in Doom 2.

Just some thoughts. None of them are really very good.

Episode 1:
No Rest for the Wicked
The Ashes of Earth

Episode 2:
At the Heart of it All
Among the Ruins

Episode 3:
The Road Through Sin (to Sin?)
The Sinners' Road
The Living End
Return to the Inferno (Back into?)

The setup.exe makes some kind of organization in sets when you select the "warp" menu. While you select the map you want it displays the name of the "episode". As it was made by id it could be taken as the official "map set" names.
I just checked it out, the version 1.7 doesn't display these map set names (I saw them when I had DOOM 2 version 1.666, then I guess the patch changed the setup too).
The names were very simple, nothing special, something like "Starport", "City", and "Hell".

I like your wad, Lorenzo. I'm gonna use that as base if you dont mind (for my own use not for release).

Nice names Ryathean. They're pretty good. I like the "Return to the Inferno" one. Anyone else care to input?

E1: In destruction's wake / In the wake of destruction

E2: As death followed / As all death followed* / Only death followed

E3: To the damnation eternal

*as in "The doomguy followed the demons' to their death" or "The dead people followed doomguy (in afterlife) as he went to kick some major ass"

JohnnyRancid said:

I like your wad, Lorenzo. I'm gonna use that as base if you dont mind (for my own use not for release).

Nice names Ryathean. They're pretty good. I like the "Return to the Inferno" one. Anyone else care to input?

Thank you.
You can improve my patch with better names for the episodes, if you want, and publish it (as long as you credit me).

Lorenzo

Vegeta said:
The setup.exe makes some kind of organization in sets when you select the "warp" menu. While you select the map you want it displays the name of the "episode". As it was made by id it could be taken as the official "map set" names.
I just checked it out, the version 1.7 doesn't display these map set names (I saw them when I had DOOM 2 version 1.666, then I guess the patch changed the setup too).
The names were very simple, nothing special, something like "Starport", "City", and "Hell".

I have DOOM[] v1.666 installed and there are no episode titles in the Warp dialog box of Setup.