Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Doom 2 City Levels Remake

Hey there,

My insatiable appetite for doom mapping is leading me towards working on a fourth megawad simultaneously!

Obviously to many, the city levels in Doom 2 sucked. They didn't look anything like Earth, and towards the end of this part of Doom 2, they just didn't care about looks anymore. My aim with this megawad is to correct that.

So, I am making a 20 level episode that is a recreation of this part of Doom 2. I will not be using any of the original textures in the game and am making a city texture set entirely from scratch.

Anyone have any ideas or support for yet another ambitious project? One thing I need to figure out is a good name for the episode.

Sigvatr said:
have any ideas or support for yet another ambitious project? One thing I need to figure out is a good name for the episode.

How about instead of 20 maps, just set your sight on 5 and see if you want to keep going once you get there.

Also, what port?

esselfortium said:
My work-in-progress Doom2project is what you're talking about, only level-by-level for the entire doom2.wad. You might be interested in it. :)

http://www.wadsinprogress.info/?a=listwads&wad=912

Please finish this! =D

That's amazing, very good looking. If possible I suggest to add a more apocalyptic feel to the sky, so it looks more like DOOM 2 cover art, and less Duke Nukem. Nice work anyway.

I always thought of graffiti as a DukeNukem thing. But it actually fits in reeeeeally good in doom.

That does actually look pretty cool. I mean, it's just one shot of one spot, but you can tell it has proper atmosphere. You have just inspired me to make the city map I am working on just before I typed this better.

I'm going to ask the Doom community to give me a hand with a few things:

* Name of the episode
* Name of the levels (there are 20)

I have some ideas for levels right now like Slums, Sewers, Highway etc... but more are welcome.

I'm going with a very blocky, 90 degree angle style with this set of maps because it fits in with the setting very well.

i got a map name make it something like "diseased whore-ridden sex club city". that fits a city theme.

Sigvatr said:
I'm going to ask the Doom community to give me a hand with a few things:

* Name of the episode
* Name of the levels (there are 20)

I have some ideas for levels right now like Slums, Sewers, Highway etc... but more are welcome.

I'm going with a very blocky, 90 degree angle style with this set of maps because it fits in with the setting very well.

Well, a burning abandoned playground is always a crowd pleaser...

Also, remaking the Doom II maps with city-ish names (The Factory, Downtown, Industrial Zone, Suburbs and Tenements) into what they're named after would be awesome, also, you KNOW you have to have a map set in a mall aka Dawn of the Dead. oh, and if you must have a sewer map, call it "The Waste Tunnels".

If you manage to make this bad boy a hub... well, you'll pretty much win doom map making.

PS any out large outdoor MUST have burnt out car husks, looked businesses fire cans... think the last few levels of half-life levels.

Depending on the area you might get away with "Hell's Kitchen" for a level :P

A hub would be very, very cool. You could almost have a "Downtown" sorta map for the 'hub central' area, and each building could load a different level (or park or station or you know what I mean).

Good luck :)

A map taking place in a burned school, a burned hospital, a map with a big park in the middle of some buildings.

About the episode name, I dunno sorry

At this point I am thinking that I'm probably going to ditch GZDoom and use EDGE instead. The primary reason for this is that it is difficult to pull off convincing city maps without having room over room sectors.

Does EDGE feature light sources like GZDoom does?

WTF? can have room over room sectors in GZdoom.

Behold;

I'm a total retard and yet I managed to make that! you can climb that ladder and wonder around in there, and jump back down and wander around under it. it's an empty room, but only because the map is in early development. Admittedly I don't know hoe you can stick monsters or switches in there, but I'm sure it's possible.

Edge dynamic lights in my opinion are by far the best in the DOOM source ports they can turn a room made with only shawn2 texture and 0 detail look amazing. Still I have to tell you that unfortunately few guys use Edge, which mean less people playing its mods.

Vegeta said:
Still I have to tell you that unfortunately few guys use Edge, which mean less people playing its mods.

That's a vicious circle because one of the reasons for it is that there are less mods for the engine. So if he were to make a successful one, that would change things at least a little bit.

Sigvatr said:

Is it possible to make rooms above other rooms using Doom Builder?

You can actually do this:

'Outside' view:

The down room:

The upper room:

Problems: DoomBuilder will merge in the same sector the linedefs of the lower and upper sector. SOLUTION: Make your upper room in a "clean" place of the map and the drag it over the other room. Of cource a common node-builder will mess and you will need an advanced engine to run this (I don't know if exists, maybe Risen-3D, I'm not sure).
Screenshots are from DoomViewer witch uses true 3D rendering engine and does not uses NODES from WAD.

Sigvatr said:

How do you assign things to particular levels?

I don't have a clue :(