Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Kevin

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice Poll)

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice)  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite source port?

Csonicgo said:

I'm still using Eternity and Chocolate Doom. You all should, too. :D

Even graf. *runs*

Are you keyboarder? I'm sure, Eternity is not for mouse players, because its mouse handling is awful. Especially on big slow levels. Really.

entryway said:

Are you keyboarder? I'm sure, Eternity is not for mouse players, because its mouse handling is awful. Especially on big slow levels. Really.

Yeah it's a shame nobody can ever really pin down *what* makes it awful. We've been through at least 5 revisions of the mouse code so far and none of them have pleased everyone. Even when I ask for suggestions on what compatible port I should borrow mouse code, nobody can seem to give a straight answer.

I think Legacy has the best mouse handling. (Smoothness responsiveness) But if that is not something that you care to look at, then the next best is prboom and prboom plus of the ones I play on a regular basis.

I don't use choc. much, so I can not compare and be truthful. EE doesn't have that bad of mouse handling compared to some others. It is however "seemingly" a little sluggish on my system. Then again maybe I just never quite got it tweaked in down to the nth degree like the ones I play more often.

To be fair, I really don't care much for zdoom mouse control on my system so I rarely use it.

try gzdoom, seems to work fine for me.

I gave skulltag a run and you were right, its really good, there were no servers running though so I never got the crap kicked out of me in a deathmatch yet

mystic said:

I gave skulltag a run and you were right, its really good, there were no servers running though so I never got the crap kicked out of me in a deathmatch yet

Use the program "IdeSE" that comes with Skulltag to see servers. There are usually at least 100 up at any given time. Right now I'm showing 128 servers.

Quasar said:

Yeah it's a shame nobody can ever really pin down *what* makes it awful

It's a very low responsiveness. I move the mouse slightly and or there is no movement or there is a turn on 10-30 degrees. It is very appreciable on slow levels and especially with the pressed 'forward' during turn.

Quasar said:

Even when I ask for suggestions on what compatible port I should borrow mouse code, nobody can seem to give a straight answer.

You can try PrBoom-Plus. The latest test version (2.4.8.2) has no separate win32 mouse handling (as all previous) and does all things through SDL. I explained the trick somewhere here some time ago (in chocolate-doom thred?)

http://prboom-plus.sourceforge.net/history.html

P.S.
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=648653#post648653
and below

Graf Zahl said:
If you mean disabling the GL renderer, sure. That can be done in the menu. You have to restart though.

Hmm, well, if I run it, it will damage my gfx driver settings. If there were a command line parameter for this, or a config file in the package, things would be easier. While in GZDoom it may not be as critical because the main purpose is to use GL stuff (over ZDoom), Skulltag, while it supports GZDoom's GL stuff, tends to attract software only users as well.

You can start it with gzdoom +set vid_renderer 0 to force it to start up in software rendering mode.

But how does it damage your gfx driver settings?

Graf Zahl said:
You can start it with gzdoom +set vid_renderer 0

Thanks, that worked out!

But how does it damage your gfx driver settings?

The game was all black and when I managed to get out, it altered all the screen colors in Windows to a few (maybe 16?) odd colors, amongst them cyan and magenta. Even rebooting to safe mode and resetting the video settings did nothing (although safe mode itself looked normal), but reinstalling the graphics card drivers got rid of the glitch (it's a SiS card running on Windows 98).

ZDooM ... and what else ?

Why don't create a poll for this thread ?

Lorenzo

My favorite port after all these years of dooming is Skulltag! I have to place Zdoom 2nd (even though it still kicks ass!)
What port do you find your self playing levels on the most, even if it is not your favorite?

Kristian's post said it all, but I'll be kind and just merge the threads.

Me, I use uHexen for everything, whether it runs it or not.

With the intent to do the following:

Playing coop over internet not lan with ultimate doom, doom2, and final doom (No 3rd party wads). I dont care to use new weapons, I want to play as close to the originals as possible.

Have free look mouse support.

Better graphics.

Better AI?, not necessary though.

That boils down to ZDoom, or better yet ZDaemon if you don't want to mess with too difficult network settings. There, I said it.

I've never had any luck joining anybody and playing with them for more than 30 seconds (before an OOS error) on ZDoom.

Use Skulltag, which is pretty much the best port for online play.

Well Ive been using ZDaemon but there are 2 things that are nagging me, 1 is when I look down at the floor the view warps (im assuming because its not true 3D), also even with free look it limits my view so I cant look straight up or straight down. This becomes problematic when you are in a small room trying to kill badies that are either straight up or straight down.

Is there are source port that has what ZDaemon has but not those problems I mentioned?, Id assume some source port with OpenGL would solve the funny looking floors and possibly true free look mouse support.

Thx in advance.

Jinx said:

Well Ive been using ZDaemon but there are 2 things that are nagging me, 1 is when I look down at the floor the view warps (im assuming because its not true 3D), also even with free look it limits my view so I cant look straight up or straight down. This becomes problematic when you are in a small room trying to kill badies that are either straight up or straight down.

Is there are source port that has what ZDaemon has but not those problems I mentioned?, Id assume some source port with OpenGL would solve the funny looking floors and possibly true free look mouse support.

Thx in advance.

Skulltag has OpenGL and just about everything ZDaemon has.

http://www.skulltag.com

You could just download it and find out for yourself O_o

But yes it does. And you can turn it off if you want.

Its getting to the point where:

Skulltag = GZDoom + decent netcode

All thats missing is the true 3D floors AFAIK.