Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ReDeath

Has anyone ever created a utility to capture motion video of Doom gameplay?

Hey folks!... I was wondering if a utility has ever been developed so that one can capture motion video of Doom gameplay?... I don't mean the ability to create Demos. Demos are limiting because anyone who wants to view your demo also must have the source WAD the demo was created from. What I'm interested in is an ability to capture Doom gameplay to AVI or some other more standard video format/CODEC, which can then be manipulated and distributed without anyone else having Doom or WADs installed.

Has anyone ever heard of such a utility?... These days, when software developers create their games, they often develop movie capture executables that they distribute in their SDKs. I'm not sure if id Software ever did that for Doom, or if anyone has created a third-party method of doing this. Anyone have any leads?...

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!... You can reply to me at LouisandKaren@StarBand.net if you prefer. Many thanks in advance!...

Most sincerely,

ReDeath
LouisandKaren@StarBand.net

Well, QDQWAV(quake) has been released in AVI, so I imagine it would be possible for Doom as well. I doubt there is much point since people who want to watch them generally have the game and .lmp files are much more compact than videos.

That, and a full movie creates a much larger file than a simple LuMP demo. But I suppose it could be done.

Well programs like Camtasia can take video snaps of whatever's currently on your screen - but framerate is always a bit jiddery in games at best.

I've bugged cph in the past to add video output for PrBoom demo playback. It seems like it would be relatively easy to make it output uncompressed AVIs of demos, but oh well.

If I had programming skills, you bet your ass I would make one, mainly so TC makers could show us some cool in game stuff, plus it would include an editor and shit to like have things like game vids do, one level, show guy firing, killing monsters all in one vid, bah I'm rambling now.

There was video from QDOOM at the Fanatic's site. wonder how that was done?

There's a program called Hypercam but i mostly use it for capturing small portions of my Windows screen. It seemse to need a lot of processing power and/or a really good video capturing card but the program captures stuff and you can choose a codec (DivX - what else?) and all sorts of stuff and it'll put an avi on your hd.

There was video from QDOOM at the Fanatic's site. wonder how that was done?

He took the screenshots himself using the in-game screenshot key and strung them together in a video editor. That's what we did for those Millennium preview videos as well.

I haven't seen any Millennium videos, are they still around somewhere?

They're at least 2 years old. I'd be more inclined to show them if they didn't promise an April 1st, 2000 release date at the end of each :P

A simple solution would be to TV-Out the video to a VCR at it's highest recording quality then line it back in and record it. =)

A simple solution would be to TV-Out the video to a VCR at it's highest recording quality then line it back in and record it. =)

Suckie quality (compared to original)- even at highest - but it would work. Enjay's solution is the best (or pgms like that). AFAIK only pgms written using the Win API can capture the frame buffers? Not that it couldn't be, just that I'm not aware of any. If there is, somebody can post the link.

Exactly what I was gonna say. And, the quality wouldn't be too bad... but the file-sizes do get a little large if you much more than a couple of minutes. (Using DivX encoding)

I'm pretty sure X-DOOM used Snagit to create AVI's of his ZD3K project.

http://www.techsmith.com

Yeah, I've recommended this multiple times, but I've never tested it myself and deadnail has, and apparently it sucks for DOS-based video captures. Then again, this is somebody who has more problems with Win95b than Win98se.

Yah, I've made one actually.

It's a modification off prboom/glboom 2.2.2

And it has camera modes.

Well don't just talk about it man, tell us where to get this loverly tool!

Yah, I've made one actually.

It's a modification off prboom/glboom 2.2.2

And it has camera modes.

Wow, I would think that your puritanism would ban you from making such an abomination.

What? No. prboom/glboom doesn't run in a window, and it doesn't have higher than 320x200 resolution. It's a pure doom version, made so that the theifing microsoft people couldn't ban doom with their windows xp.

...made so that the theifing microsoft people couldn't ban doom with their windows xp.

For once I have to agree with him. XP sucks. They are installing it on the computers at school, and it's making them run at 1/3 speed. EVIL!

They are installing it on the computers at school, and it's making them run at 1/3 speed. EVIL!

Bah, like if school computers actually worked at decent speeds. They're always bloated antiques.

I haven't seen a Windows run this fast since Win95. You only need a semi-decent video card for all the graphical stuff going on and a fucking realistic amount of RAM. It's not like you're gonna install this stuff on 64 megs machines...

They are installing it on the computers at school, and it's making them run at 1/3 speed. EVIL!

Bah, like if school computers actually worked at decent speeds. They're always bloated antiques.

I haven't seen a Windows run this fast since Win95. You only need a semi-decent video card for all the graphical stuff going on and a fucking realistic amount of RAM. It's not like you're gonna install this stuff on 64 megs machines...

Actualy, they are 600mhz celerons...go figure...
XP = eXtra Painful, eXtremely Phuked-up, eXeptionaly Pompus, eXtraneously Pretty, Xylophone Pounder (?)

Windows XP stands for Windows XtraPlastered.

Which is what computers with XP run like, and look like.

I swear, if I knew where you lived I would walk in your house, piss on your carpet, shit in your kitchen sink and shove a lamp up your ass and plug it in.

For once I have to agree with him. XP sucks. They are installing it on the computers at school, and it's making them run at 1/3 speed. EVIL!

You're lucky. In our school, XP won't even run.